Rugby League BackChat - sponsored by TotalRL.com - Watch weekly on FreeSports TV

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The post isn’t that slow.

And I just got a reply for an e-mail I sent two years ago, so that's not as quick as people make out either!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fellow Salford fan has asked me to post the following. I had to watch it again to see the first one, but he's right! Blimey, I completely missed that!

I enjoyed the conversation during last Thursday's Rugby League Backchat programme. However, can I raise an improvement opportunity. The heading shown throughout was Rubgy League Backchat. The question prior to break one asked for three players who had played Super League beginning with 'Z'. Two of the answers, Ronel Zenon and Nick Zisti were spelt incorrectly and last, but certainly not least, before break two there was a quote attributed to Dougie Lawton!

We all make mistakes of course but this lack of attention to detail was sloppy. I will leave it with you.

25 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

A fellow Salford fan has asked me to post the following. I had to watch it again to see the first one, but he's right! Blimey, I completely missed that!

I've forwarded the feedback to the production company.

28 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont made some very interesting contributions to this week's Back Chat programme when it was recorded this morning.

It will be worth a watch.

And very well chaired by Rod Studd.

It always is. Both he and Dave Woods do a good job.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont made some very interesting contributions to this week's Back Chat programme when it was recorded this morning.

It will be worth a watch.

And very well chaired by Rod Studd.

I dearly hope the cowbell wasn't mentioned as upsetting anyone :)

Back-Chat-Show-4-guests.jpg

This week’s Rugby League Back Chat show (Freesports TV, Thur 22 Mar, 5pm - plus repeats) is hosted by Rod Studd and features a guest panel of Martyn Sadler (League Express), Derek Beaumont (Leigh Centurions owner) and former Great Britain international and Golden Boot winner Garry Schofield.

Rugby League Back Chat, sponsored by TotalRL.com, is broadcast every Thursday on FreeSports TV, which can be found at Channel 95 on Freeview or 424 on the Sky platform. The hour-long programme is repeated several times over the weekend (check listings) and will appear here on the TotalRL.com website from 9.00am on Saturdays.

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

Back-Chat-Show-4-guests.jpg

This week’s Rugby League Back Chat show (Freesports TV, Thur 22 Mar, 5pm - plus repeats) is hosted by Rod Studd and features a guest panel of Martyn Sadler (League Express), Derek Beaumont (Leigh Centurions owner) and former Great Britain international and Golden Boot winner Garry Schofield.

Rugby League Back Chat, sponsored by TotalRL.com, is broadcast every Thursday on FreeSports TV, which can be found at Channel 95 on Freeview or 424 on the Sky platform. The hour-long programme is repeated several times over the weekend (check listings) and will appear here on the TotalRL.com website from 9.00am on Saturdays.

Looks like Degsy is in front of his parole board.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Amazing amount of consensus about the size of the season and Summer Rugby but still arguing that you can't easily make a fixture list to sort out everything well don't try! Home and away home and away pattern Sky game not conflicting with any others and avoid traveling Pennine  M62 games so fans can get there. Clubs get a fixture list and no choice.

Derek was good which is a phrase that may not go down well with his detractors.

The iconic kits ... marketing was good too!

Mind you Schoey still managed to sqeeze in quality of play! They find him amusing!!!!

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Amazing amount of consensus about the size of the season and Summer Rugby but still arguing that you can't easily make a fixture list to sort out everything well don't try! Home and away home and away pattern Sky game not conflicting with any others and avoid traveling Pennine  M62 games so fans can get there. Clubs get a fixture list and no choice.

Mind you Schoey still managed to sqeeze in quality of play! They find him amusing!!!!

Derek was very good, the trouble he has is when a stick is poked in his direction he cannot help but react in public, if he had just a tad more diplomacy he would recieve a lot more plaudits than the criticism he gets.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

I think they raised some very valid points regarding the start of the season and fixtures, especially the night games taking preference over Sat/Sun afternoon games.  

IMO Derek came across well and could have been left to explain a bit more.  Interesting to hear his comments regarding Tony Smith, SL clubs voting and that SL CEOs still not arrived at decisions.  

Clarity and transparency of SL clubs voting.  Now wouldn’t that have cleared up some ‘ facts’ on here!

Barring the setting, good show.

58 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

is when a stick is poked in his direction

Most posters on forums don't even need the stick never mind the direction, feeling that chairman, refs, coaches etc are fair game and their reaction is the problem is in the nature of the way things are ..... our own perceptions and prejudices are never treated with the humour and contempt they deserve.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think they raised some very valid points regarding the start of the season and fixtures, especially the night games taking preference over Sat/Sun afternoon games.  :clapping:

IMO Derek came across well and could have been left to explain a bit more. (But Schoey was on .. no space left!)  Interesting to hear his comments regarding Tony Smith, SL clubs voting and that SL CEOs still not arrived at decisions.  

Clarity and transparency of SL clubs voting.  Now wouldn’t that have cleared up some ‘ facts’ on here!:O

Barring the setting, good show.:fan:

Apparently LD the setting and the lack of production are the product of no money but I suspect it's so we'll have something to moan about when Schoey's not on. I work with 3-4 year olds and to be heard they're quite likely to grab your chin to turn your face toward them .... obviously Schoey has found it hard to move on from that period in his life.

Hope everything is well at yours LD!

16 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Most posters on forums don't even need the stick never mind the direction, feeling that chairman, refs, coaches etc are fair game and their reaction is the problem is in the nature of the way things are ..... our own perceptions and prejudices are never treated with the humour and contempt they deserve.

Apparently LD the setting and the lack of production are the product of no money but I suspect it's so we'll have something to moan about when Schoey's not on. I work with 3-4 year olds and to be heard they're quite likely to grab your chin to turn your face toward them .... obviously Schoey has found it hard to move on from that period in his life.

Hope everything is well at yours LD!

Yes, ok mate.  Busy, busy and the traffic here doesn’t help.  Hope you’re doing well.

I like the show, have my own preferences on how it’s being delivered but think it’s good to hear the varying view points.  

No issues informing us of RUs continued habit in offering RL playing 16/17 year olds money to sign up to RU.  None mentioned taking that discussion to the Cross Code forum!

43 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think they raised some very valid points regarding the start of the season and fixtures, especially the night games taking preference over Sat/Sun afternoon games.  

IMO Derek came across well and could have been left to explain a bit more.  Interesting to hear his comments regarding Tony Smith, SL clubs voting and that SL CEOs still not arrived at decisions.  

Clarity and transparency of SL clubs voting.  Now wouldn’t that have cleared up some ‘ facts’ on here!

Barring the setting, good show.

I think the all friday night fixture list tonight is more a problem of the easter schedule than anything else. Every team wants as much rest time before. Cas play Trin on Thursday and then again on Monday no way should they be expected to play Sunday night if its not necessary.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I think the all friday night fixture list tonight is more a problem of the easter schedule than anything else. Every team wants as much rest time before. Cas play Trin on Thursday and then again on Monday no way should they be expected to play Sunday night if its not necessary.

Agreed Tom.  What was being discussed was quality.  Playing in dire weather doesn’t give you that, neither does games too close together.  

The other issue, briefly mentioned, was attendances.  Night matches across the M62 for families isn’t something most enjoy.  DB was amazed how many Hull fans turned up at Salford - but an afternoon game would have meant even more.  If they’re only going to televise 1 match, why have other games scheduled for the same night?  

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, ok mate.  Busy, busy and the traffic here doesn’t help.  Hope you’re doing well.

I like the show, have my own preferences on how it’s being delivered but think it’s good to hear the varying view points.  

No issues informing us of RUs continued habit in offering RL playing 16/17 year olds money to sign up to RU.  None mentioned taking that discussion to the Cross Code forum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtTVYHOBZI

I'm Doing Fine Now - The Pasadenas

RL clubs are too busy trying to get as many youngsters on the cheap as they can get away with, yawn could offer next to nothing and still win.

It does seem an indictment of their production line that they see this as a viable strategy unless the whole point is aimed at RL not having a quality production line and any player who makes it is a bonus. I know they also look to take them earlier so they'll be able to learn k&c overburdened and convoluted rules etc and maybe I'm making them out to be far more cynical than they are .... I can't think of any evidence that would lead me to that conclusion.

As for moving stuff to the ccdumping ground it always seems a bit arbitrary to me but placing Backchat there would be a right good laugh!

Since Sky began to only play lip service to RL in so many ways Backchat is all we have apart from the what time/channel is it on this week SL show.

I also think Derek looked a bit young for the show! Is the average age having a free bus pass or having to use ring and ride?

Martyn's point about the kits was spot on, the Giants-KR game was ridiculous, from my vantage point, high up in the Kilner bank i found it very hard to make out who was who a lot of the times, a home team in a predominately dark red and gold strip and an away team in a predominately dark red and grey strip.

Then the week after, Widnes V Huddersfield, the home team in a predominately white kit and the away team in a mainly grey kit, when the away team could have worn claret and gold is just madness!

15 hours ago, meast said:

Martyn's point about the kits was spot on, the Giants-KR game was ridiculous, from my vantage point, high up in the Kilner bank i found it very hard to make out who was who a lot of the times, a home team in a predominately dark red and gold strip and an away team in a predominately dark red and grey strip.

Then the week after, Widnes V Huddersfield, the home team in a predominately white kit and the away team in a mainly grey kit, when the away team could have worn claret and gold is just madness!

The whole notion of change kits/away strips has been a pain in the bum. Yes the clubs need to sell shirts, no they don't necessarily need to change them apart from special events. The Super Heroes theme for the magic would be an ideal SL marketing ploy but getting them to work together ............

backchat-5-2018.jpg

This week’s Rugby League Back Chat show (Freesports TV, Thurs 29 Mar, 5pm plus repeats) is hosted by Dave Woods and features a guest panel of Gary Hetherington (Leeds Rhinos), Phil Caplan (40/20) and Chris Irvine (The Times).

On 2018-3-25 at 7:09 AM, Oxford said:

The whole notion of change kits/away strips has been a pain in the bum. Yes the clubs need to sell shirts, no they don't necessarily need to change them apart from special events. The Super Heroes theme for the magic would be an ideal SL marketing ploy but getting them to work together ............

What mystifies me is their weird practice of having away uniforms in a whole different colour scheme altogether rather than a different arrangement of the club's own colours.  I can't imagine why any fan would ever want to wear a shirt in a whole different colour scheme so I can't see that those would sell in any worthwhile numbers.

14 hours ago, Big Picture said:

What mystifies me is their weird practice of having away uniforms in a whole different colour scheme altogether rather than a different arrangement of the club's own colours.  I can't imagine why any fan would ever want to wear a shirt in a whole different colour scheme so I can't see that those would sell in any worthwhile numbers.

I agree with this, it used to be a team would wear either a revers of their home colours, or a totally different colour from the spectrum,

Wigan,Saints,Leigh, etc used to wear blue as a change,

Barrow,Halifax,Fev, etc used to switch to red, now we see teams' change colours a darker shade of the home colours.

As  Huddersfield fan, my preference for change colours will always be white with claret and gold trim.

image.png.12f80d5f33c09cd20f1eb54c9fc2b940.png

image.png.255d58e7f59e99163717360d338942ef.png

image.png.2248fc5e4b134485278419b072fc67d1.png

With the last programme I felt it was by far the best yet. At first I thought it might be relief that Schoey wasn't there but the level of discussion was so much better without him or the other one!

It was easy to see the source of info on the forum at times!

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Oxford said:

With the last programme I felt it was by far the best yet. At first I thought it might be relief that Schoey wasn't there but the level of discussion was so much better without him or the other one!

It was easy to see the source of info on the forum at times!

I enjoy Backchat and with some regret, because he loves the game. I have to agree your remarks

about Schoey. keep the programme going.

Archived