Lions v Wolfpack

RIGGY

There has been a pitch inspection this afternoon at Heywood Road and things are looking hopeful for the game tomorrow.  There is one small area of the pitch causing a little concern but hopefully this should thaw during the night and another early inspection will take place on Sunday morning.  Please monitor the Twitter account and the website for further news.

Thank You

Really poor performance today - Toronto ran the game from their play the ball, we never closed them down at all - their hooker(s) always ran from acting half back to bring their big forwards onto the ball, or run at Swinton's defence, where we seemed to take the ball standing and we were not able to make sufficient progress when we had the ball and therefore did not really set up more that a couple of chances to attack Toronto's line, we scored a great first try then lost the plot. having said that had we managed to catch the high kicks put over Toronto's line we could have scored 3 or 4 tries.

Tyson had a strong game and was not provoked by the high tackles from Toronto, I think everyone tried hard as individuals but as team they were ineffective.

Came away really depressed today, no doubt nothing compared to how the team must feel.........:(

nothing to be ashamed of wayne_r...The Pack were out to make statement after the hammering they got from the Broncos and your boys were on the receiving end. Anyhow look forward to seeing you chaps at Lamport in May provided we have a bloody field to play on !

I thought this was a good performance from Swinton. Did anyone really expect us to win? It's David versus Goliath in terms of resources / budgets. 

The lads worked extremely hard and never let their heads drop. This is all I ask for. Plus a lovely try at the start.

Realistically we are favourites for relegation and were before a ball was kicked at seasons start.  We have to hope to beat Rochdale or Sheffield to stand any chance of staying up. I would have put Barrow in the mix but clearly teams don't like going to Cumbria so I think they will be comfortably safe now.

Onwards and upwards. At least we still have a club to follow.

Great marketing of the game too. We need to replicate that every game not just a one off. Let's make the product off the pitch so good that people love to come to Heywood rd.

I wasn't saying the team did not try their hardest to a man but rather failed to stop Toronto around the play the ball, which where the damage came from and with making little progress ourselves it meant almost every play to halfbacks had to be a try scoring play which increased the urgency and resulted in mistakes.

If the team can sort out the play the ball, e.g. close down the opposition and run more from acting halfback to bring on the forwards we will surely benefit ............I agree the team must beat the teams around them in the league.

Next week will be hard but I am sure the players will want to prove their worth...........

Does anyone have the attendance figure from the game on Sunday?  I've searched everywhere I know of and don't see it mentioned anywhere. As of 1 hour ago your club website did not have the "game report" available and your club Twitter account on the game play-by-play did not mention it.  BTW, as a RL newbie from Canada we find the lack of attendance figures from UK fixtures somewhat strange. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Does anyone have the attendance figure from the game on Sunday?  I've searched everywhere I know of and don't see it mentioned anywhere. As of 1 hour ago your club website did not have the "game report" available and your club Twitter account on the game play-by-play did not mention it.  BTW, as a RL newbie from Canada we find the lack of attendance figures from UK fixtures somewhat strange. Thanks in advance.

I think all we can ask of our team at the moment is they work hard for the full 80 mins. There is a big gap in quality between ourselves and most of the rest of the division. With time players can be coached to be better but time isn:t on our side. 

You guys played hard but were out muscled in the forwards which set up everything for Toronto...no faulting the effort though.   You have some tricky, flashy and quick backs who could do damage with a constant feed of good ball...good effort by all the players on both teams.

I enjoyed the background noise from the mike feeds:

Early on a fan yelling at Sims, "Toronto Wolfpack, more like Toronto Jokepack! and then , of course, that woman in the second half swearing all the time....I would wash that womans mouth out with soap!...children are watching!

Archived