11 Mar: Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible game at Featherstone.

Swinton came to niggle and spoil and fair play to them, it nearly worked.  Shocking performance by the man in green, let far too much niggle at the ruck go and was blind to cheap shots.  Not sure what the linesmen were there for, they certainly weren't watching the game. No surprise that the game boiled over and 4 cards were shown.

Thankfully all 17 players got through the game with their heads still attached to their shoulders, although Riddy picked up a knock which is worrying.

I think a season or two in League one would help today's referee gain much needed experience.

Are we allowed to laugh at Leigh yet?

42 minutes ago, LeeF said:

So in reality the players lost their discipline and they were the total disgrace 

The ref was in charge not the players, he did not have a clue what he was doing! 

6 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

The ref was in charge not the players, he did not have a clue what he was doing! 

6 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

The players are in charge of their own discipline. If they don't offend turn the ref doesn't have anything to do. It is NOT the ref's fault if players cannot and do not behave

10 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Terrible game at Featherstone.

Swinton came to niggle and spoil and fair play to them, it nearly worked.  Shocking performance by the man in green, let far too much niggle at the ruck go and was blind to cheap shots.  Not sure what the linesmen were there for, they certainly weren't watching the game. No surprise that the game boiled over and 4 cards were shown.

Thankfully all 17 players got through the game with their heads still attached to their shoulders, although Riddy picked up a knock which is worrying.

I think a season or two in League one would help today's referee gain much needed experience.

Are we allowed to laugh at Leigh yet?

Ever refereed or touch judged?

BTW you have answered the other poster's problem as it was the players who were badly disciplined

Just now, LeeF said:

The players are in charge of their own discipline. If they don't offend turn the ref doesn't have anything to do. It is NOT the ref's fault if players cannot and do not behave

Not true.

When players are given no protection from foul play by the referee, should we expect them to lap it up or defend themselves?

Today's referee had zero control over the game. There was ample opportunity to clamp down on the niggle and the cheap shots before it turned ugly.

The referee bears a heavy responsibility for today's cards.

7 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Great wins for both London and Toulouse. London especially. I still think Toronto will finish either 1st or 2nd.

My predictions for top 4: London, Toulouse, Toronto, Featherstone.

It is hard to see another combination based on form so far. But then again Leigh could find an excellent coach who could turn things around and the team could begin to challenge from far behind. It all depends who the new coach will be and when he starts.

28 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I'm more annoyed at "the daddy's" laugh after Nick weaver posted the final score. I'm well aware we lost, but don't sneer,that's for kids,I thoughts you we're one of the more respectful posters

It's only coz as a London fan I see Leigh as one of our competitors to get into the top 4. It's just friendly banter. 

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Not true.

When players are given no protection from foul play by the referee, should we expect them to lap it up or defend themselves?

Today's referee had zero control over the game. There was ample opportunity to clamp down on the niggle and the cheap shots before it turned ugly.

The referee bears a heavy responsibility for today's cards.

Players commit fouls not referees so they are the cause of bad discipline

The players are solely responsible for any cards

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

How is that relevent? The referee is paid to do a job.  He failed in his task today.

Very relevant. If you had you wouldn't post such rubbish. The players are paid a lot more and they clearly failed in their task today

28 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

London chugging along nicely - things looking very interesting in the Championship, wouldn't like to be a Leigh supporter, though (not stirring it, honest!). 

London are a revelation this year.

I honestly thought you'd struggle big time this year, very happy to be proved wrong.

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

London are a revelation this year.

I honestly thought you'd struggle big time this year, very happy to be proved wrong.

Very gracious of you, Garry. :wink: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well that Leigh performance was probably as bad as I've seen in 20 years , well done Fax , I said after the Barrow defeat that the other Championship clubs would smell blood , and they have , thats our top 4 gone now

It looks like I may have tied for the win on the Toronto Wolfpack's predict the score contest on twitter.

I was off by a total of 2 pts. along with 2 others.

I am now officially basking in the glory, but will not spoil anything by revealing my prediction.

I was one of the 863 at Olympic Legacy Park, Sheffield, this afternoon. Not great, was it? Eagles made a decent fist of it in the first half but thenceforth error followed embarrassing error. Still, Sheffield's main aim this season must be to win (or finish second in) the second tier's 'Pauper Mini League' also featuring Barrow, Rochdale and Swinton. OLP feels like a decent NCL set-up - it's very much akin to Pilkington Recs' revamped facilities. Admission was £15 (I saved £2 by booking ahead, online) and a 40-page programme (glossy but unimaginatively designed) sold for £2.50.

Archived