Blackbrook ARLFC

Very, very sad indeed.   They're a great club with excellent facilities that committee stalwarts have worked for years to achieve.

Other clubs are in a similar situation though, and it's only pride and determination that makes them carry on.  Some players don't want to commit to the game - if they want a game, they'll turn up and if they don't fancy a game, they won't.  

Sadly, I don't think Blackbrook will be the only one to drop out of the NCL (fantastic though that league is!) this coming season.

16 hours ago, neutralfan said:

I wonder how much help they got from the RFL?Its not a criticism but an enquiry.

Can't really see what the RFL can do when its down to player commitment (thats not a jibe by the way just an observation). They are in a hotbed area of rugby league and if sides like Blackbrook are struggling its a sad testimony to the postion the game finds itself in. I honestly aren't looking to open a winter/summer debate but maybe the RFL/NCL management should sit down awith them and find out what their problems are/were, listen to them and find out the reasons why and hopefully help clubs learn

I don't know what exactly has happened but one thing I know definitely does happen that is different to years ago - players move a lot more. 

Years ago you played at your club at junior level then you either moved to the open age side, got picked up by a pro side or stopped playing. If you did play open age amateur rugby that club was yours until you stopped playing - that just doesn't happen anymore. More realistically these days you have a core nucleus of loyal lads who will stick with the club through thick and thin. If they're decent then they attract more decent players into the side and thus create a decent side. It's when things start to go wrong the problems start - all the lads that came in to the club from outside slowly slope off - the loyal lads try to drag in who they can to keep the side going, which they can probably do for 1 to 2 seasons but then the usual catalyst for a side folding is when these loyal lads start to question why they're bothering (or naturally decide to stop playing) - what you're left with is a struggling side with no nucleus, that's the beginning of the end. 

It usually takes a strong group from the under 18s or a new coach to come in who has the pull to get lads to come and play for him to kickstart the side again.

46 minutes ago, chisholm said:

The Summer rugby messiah, did he survive ?

One of those senior Project management types, that we are all familiar with, that comes in, causes chaos and then quickly jumps ship to a better job... :bye:

https://www.activehumber.co.uk/news/2017/09/david-gent-appointed-as-active-humbers-new-ceo

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . .  . . . Which one did you perform? "

17 minutes ago, Dessie O'Hare said:

One of those senior Project management types, that we are all familiar with, that comes in, causes chaos and then quickly jumps ship to a better job... :bye:

https://www.activehumber.co.uk/news/2017/09/david-gent-appointed-as-active-humbers-new-ceo

Can’t  have asked People associated with RL as it is on its ###### at all levels in Hull both youth and open age

On 12/03/2018 at 10:18 AM, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't know what exactly has happened but one thing I know definitely does happen that is different to years ago - players move a lot more. 

Years ago you played at your club at junior level then you either moved to the open age side, got picked up by a pro side or stopped playing. If you did play open age amateur rugby that club was yours until you stopped playing - that just doesn't happen anymore. More realistically these days you have a core nucleus of loyal lads who will stick with the club through thick and thin. If they're decent then they attract more decent players into the side and thus create a decent side. It's when things start to go wrong the problems start - all the lads that came in to the club from outside slowly slope off - the loyal lads try to drag in who they can to keep the side going, which they can probably do for 1 to 2 seasons but then the usual catalyst for a side folding is when these loyal lads start to question why they're bothering (or naturally decide to stop playing) - what you're left with is a struggling side with no nucleus, that's the beginning of the end. 

It usually takes a strong group from the under 18s or a new coach to come in who has the pull to get lads to come and play for him to kickstart the side again.

Society in general no longer has loyalty, all companies struggle to keep hold of customers.its a millennial thing.

You are quite right with the above and I have saw it happen with a club.

Blackbrook have several rival local clubs, all of whom are beefing up their junior ranks with aims to have a team at every age group. NCL is a big commitment when a team down the road are playing in a local league. 

The answer is to let NCL clubs pay wages....

4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Yes as there needs to be a draw to play at a higher level. 

Sorry but how  is making the NCL semi pro the answer,where will the money come from ?have you seen the state a lot of championship clubs are in.

I think rather than making the league stronger,most clubs would return to their local leagues.

As said above there has been a change in culture and lads just are not as loyal as there were 10 years ago.

The travel also does not help many lads work locally Saturday mornings and cant finish work until 12.30, not good if your on a 3 hour drive to Hull or Cumbria.

The league and clubs also need to change their cultures if they are to survive

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Sorry but how  is making the NCL semi pro the answer,where will the money come from ?have you seen the state a lot of championship clubs are in.

I think rather than making the league stronger,most clubs would return to their local leagues.

Clubs who can pay should, money comes from a multitude of places. 

Lads don't want to give up their Saturdays for long distance travel and move to play for other sides in more local leagues anyway.

NCL should be a step up and a reward on offer for the commitment needed. I am not saying it's a must but it would be one answer to halt current trends

Paying players isn't the answer. I personally have no issue with it but it makes the players that tend to move about even more powerful. i.e they'll stay with a club until another club offers more. And then they just all move en masse, so doesn't resolve the problem. Meanwhile the club is left in the same position I mentioned above. 

Also, it makes what is 'reasonably' a level playing field at the moment massively unbalanced. You're right, I dare say there are some clubs out there already who chuck a few 'benefits' at certain players (certainly doesn't happen at our club but it does happen) and if that works for them then so be it but as soon as it becomes a 'thing' that players get paid then who would ever play for a side that doesn't? It certainly doesn't guarantee success either - Sharlston Rovers will be testament to that. 

NCL is an open league so payments could be made, however where that money comes from is anybody’s guess I don’t see how an amateur club can generate the money required

When I saw Blackbrook play there were players from Warrington, Wigan, Widnes & St Helens, that doesn’t show much loyalty to the club. The most successful clubs have good links to their junior sides to have the right foundations in place

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Clubs who can pay should, money comes from a multitude of places. 

Lads don't want to give up their Saturdays for long distance travel and move to play for other sides in more local leagues anyway.

NCL should be a step up and a reward on offer for the commitment needed. I am not saying it's a must but it would be one answer to halt current trends

Multitude of places,like what ?

which clubs could afford it,if it's as likely 2 or 3 wouldn't that  ruin the leagues as those clubs would cherry pick all the best players in their area anyway.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

When I saw Blackbrook play there were players from Warrington, Wigan, Widnes & St Helens, that doesn’t show much loyalty to the club. The most successful clubs have good links to their junior sides to have the right foundations in place

I heard that the junior sides at Blackbrook had no link up with the senior side so they did not have a pathway to move up to play in the 1st team

2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

I heard that the junior sides at Blackbrook had no link up with the senior side so they did not have a pathway to move up to play in the 1st team

That's rubbish. Blackbrook are a great club and nearly all of their players over the years have come through their own youth system. I have just completed a statistical history of the club and, looking back at some of the teams through old programmes and handbooks, the numbers that played in their youth teams and went on to play open age are enormous.

Archived