The Codebreakers BBC2 Wales documentary on now.

Channel 971 on Freesat/Sky.

Very interesting.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you haven't had chance to see it, download it and watch it any way you can.

Fantastic documentary, can't believe it's a BBC production. 

10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Going to watch it later but what happened to the other thread about this?

Sorry, I've no idea unless it was shifted to the Cross Code Forum, which would have been a great shame.

The Welsh female presenter at the programme's conclusion said she hated RL when she was younger as it was the reason for so many great Welsh players leaving RU. After looking in depth at the history of the two codes, she did an about turn in her thoughts as she discovered the bigotry and racism in Welsh RU compared to the welcome with open arms that players like Billy Boston and Roy Francis received in RL.

Anyway, if the mods decide this can't stay on the General RL Forum and delete it, just make sure you take my advice and watch the documentary, I'm not ashamed to say I found it both extremely emotional and hilarious at times.

A fantastic watch.

Apologies if I've duplicated anything posted by anyone earlier.

Here's the link for the programme on the BBCIplayer :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09w01q4/the-rugby-codebreakers?suggid=b09w01q4

49 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Sorry, I've no idea unless it was shifted to the Cross Code Forum, which would have been a great shame.

The Welsh female presenter at the programme's conclusion said she hated RL when she was younger as it was the reason for so many great Welsh players leaving RU. After looking in depth at the history of the two codes, she did an about turn in her thoughts as she discovered the bigotry and racism in Welsh RU compared to the welcome with open arms that players like Billy Boston and Roy Francis received in RL.

Anyway, if the mods decide this can't stay on the General RL Forum and delete it, just make sure you take my advice and watch the documentary, I'm not ashamed to say I found it both extremely emotional and hilarious at times.

A fantastic watch.

For anyone who can't watch, here is an article written by the presenter. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/story-lost-welsh-rugby-heroes-14391534

I found this programme totally absorbing and very honest.  Its message is long overdue.  Such a pity it wasn't shown nationwide at prime time on BBC1!  Fascinating stuff and so well presented.  If you haven't watched it yet then do try to do so as it is well worth it.  

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Apologies if I've duplicated anything posted by anyone earlier.

Here's the link for the programme on the BBCIplayer :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09w01q4/the-rugby-codebreakers?suggid=b09w01q4

Thanks for that, mate, I'd completely forgotten the programme was coming up.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

What an amazing documentary! And thank God for iplayer as the mother in law talked all the way through! 

But having noticed Tariq Ali's involvement, as director,  it was bound to be a serious and quality piece of work. 

We'll done the Beeb for a change! 

Watching it now, and have just discovered that Jim Sullivan also represented Wales at Baseball!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The laugh out loud bit for me was Dougie Laughton and Jim mills in the Llanelli pub for a beer after signing Jonathon Davies.

You couldn't make it up. :laugh:

A certain amount of footage for this was lifted from the earlier BBC doc 'The Game that got away', which is well worth watching if you haven't already.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've been looking on Twitter, and haven't seen a negative comment about the programme yet. Lots of praise instead.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, clifford said:

A fantastic documentary, as a codebraker myself, I was shunned at my local rugby union club which means that now I still find it uncomfortable when I go back 

What's your story? I have to try hard to imagine your predicament. Amazing stuff.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

I signed pro after having trials at Salford, with another team based in Manchester in 90s. And the ownership change in the summer, and between the rfl and the club they lost my contract. 

Luckily for me the owner agreed to honour it. However the payment was due each time I played, but the coach would not pick me. So I went into dispute with the club. Which meant I still couldn't play rl.

I then turned out for the RU club second team at stand off, against Eccles and their prop ran at me, so I tackled him a normal rl tackle and I knocked the prop out, I was sent off for over vigorous tackling, and I was playing under an assumed name. 

The chairman of the club then asked me to explain myself which I did, and he said that I must leave the club and not return. 

A few weeks later, I saw the team boozing and they all ignored me. 

Hence why I understood what the Welsh players were saying. 

Think that covers it. My last game of National conference rugby was against St pats in 2001. To say I miss playing is an understatement. 

I did play rugby union in my late 30's but the levels of fitness were poor and the standard of game was worse 

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A certain amount of footage for this was lifted from the earlier BBC doc 'The Game that got away', which is well worth watching if you haven't already.

I'll look that up on iplayer and or you tube 

Thanks 

Archived