Codebrakers - BBC documentary

clifford

Just watched the documentary, and it brings back memories of me being asked to leave a local rugby union club, where I was talking to friends, because I had signed pro. 

The first RL coach I spoke to said we might not like you but you can score tries and kick goals and this helps us win do you'll play. At RU it's not about ability its about your school tie or profession. This will determine what level you will play at. 

Apart from the history of my family, its the non prejudicial nature of RL I love. 

I played against Tom Nadiole at amateur level and he remembered me as a teenager asking for his autograph after the 86 semi final and he tackled me do hard it winded me, I got up played the ball and he said sorry. After the game he came to me and remembered our conversation in sheddings club and things like that stay with you 

RL is a passionate sport but it has the humility as well 

Terrific documentary this - anyone who missed it should try to see it. Fronted by a South Wales journalist, it hammers the Welsh Rugby Union on class, racism and unjustified prejudice against rugby players who chose to turn professional. Also includes clips of Oldham RL in the late 60s/early 70s when Welsh winger Mike Elliott played at Watersheddings.

Can definitely recommend it.   Well worth a watch.

We had some hostility when we started league down here, union clubs telling players they weren't allowed to play for us in the summer and trying to stop us to renting council pitches.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Sounds like the late 80s up here. I was having trials with Sale and the coach turned to my dad and said your son is a rugby league player, because they knew as rugby league players hold the ball higher up the body than Union players 

Which means that rugby league have better ball skills and awareness. The years of youth rugby at Saddleworth listening to Brendan Flanagan, Steve Robinson, former Oldham player, and Mick Coates must have paid off. 

Just watched The Rugby Codebreakers: what a great progamme. Listening to the Welshmen describing the prejudice they faced back home was sickening. I'm proud of RL because all that matters is whether you're good enough.

Lewis Jones and Johnnie Freeman were particular heroes of mine.

That said, having gone to an RU playing school, when I played at Llanelli the people I met all wanted to know how well Lewis Jones was doing so perhaps not everyone shared the establishment view. 

On 12 March 2018 at 11:27 PM, The Baron Mk11 said:

What channel was it on, i would like to find and watch it on catch-up

I don't have BBC player.

i just put " Codebreakers BBC Wales " into Google and it came up with the full programme.

Fascinating stuff - in passing would say that I Mike Elliott was one of the nicest guys you could meet.

Met him a few times years ago.

Finally got to watch this program and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm sure it was no coincidence that the  BBC didn't show too much of the open running game but, still a good program.

Thanks for telling us about it Clifford!!

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

Yes very interesting and well made , seeing Clive Sullivan on there gave me a flashback to when he played a season for Oldham at the end of  his career, remember him going the length  of the field.....just!

Bishop was a dirty ..........   Charlie was on the charge when he took his head off , he was never the same player again after that and moved into the forwards , as a centre he was one of the best I've seen. 

youtube link - forgot he was found innocent !!!!!!!

Archived