Robert Elstone to be next boss of SL?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Copa said:

I know Robert personally although not professionally, having watched a number of games with him (Leeds vs Cas, being from different sides). Although I know rugby is his first love and he would be keen on the role, I did think he’d want to see through his Everton job in getting them to a new stadium. 

He would be quite a coup 

Forgive me, I'm a bit confused here...

Is he supposed to be replacing Nigel Wood at the RFL, or is this is a new super-powerful role as head honcho of the Super League.

If it's the latter then it looks like SL are taking over and the RFL - possibly with Rimmer keeping the job - is going to be effectively sidelined into running the semi-pro game, the community game, providing referees etc. A bit like the Premier League and Football League, as it says?

#onlyjustwokenup

26 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Forgive me, I'm a bit confused here...

Is he supposed to be replacing Nigel Wood at the RFL, or is this is a new super-powerful role as head honcho of the Super League.

If it's the latter then it looks like SL are taking over and the RFL - possibly with Rimmer keeping the job - is going to be effectively sidelined into running the semi-pro game, the community game, providing referees etc. A bit like the Premier League and Football League, as it says?

#onlyjustwokenup

Previously the SLE CEO role was taken by Nigel Wood as well, meaning he just did both roles as SLE was integrated into the RFL structure. Now it looks like they will run with a separate CEO. They did this about 15-20 years back too, although IIRC it was Chris Caisley who was SLE CEO.

If you look at the football example, who would you say runs football in England - I think most would still say the FA, despite the Premier League having its own leadership team.

As long as we get the balance right, this should be a good thing.

Very interesting story. What it is also shows is the benefit of widening your perspective and experiences in other areas (as opposed to just hiding in the RFL system and hoping for the top job aka Rimmer).

SLE CEO is not an easy job with a clutch of clubs looking out for number one first and foremost. However, if they are looking for this move then they must feel that major changes are needed - as is a leader to drive that through.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I did think he’d want to see through his Everton job in getting them to a new stadium.

His wikipedia article says he left Cas after doing the preparatory work towards getting them to a new stadium. In 2007 ;)

I agree that getting him would be quite a coup.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Previously the SLE CEO role was taken by Nigel Wood as well, meaning he just did both roles as SLE was integrated into the RFL structure. Now it looks like they will run with a separate CEO. They did this about 15-20 years back too, although IIRC it was Chris Caisley who was SLE CEO.

If you look at the football example, who would you say runs football in England - I think most would still say the FA, despite the Premier League having its own leadership team.

As long as we get the balance right, this should be a good thing.

The premier league votes on premier league issues, the other clubs vote on the football league issues...

8 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

This would be the guy that that has overseen Everton's fall from top 6 club to relegation fighters, whilst spending an obscene amount of money along the way, and appointing Sam Allardyce as manager?

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Everton have an ageing side and sold their best player... the money was reinvested. Net spend is practically 0.

Big Sam was only supposed to be there until summer. 

Everton are a top club despite having an old crumbling stadium, thry are looking to improve their old ground without breaking the bank.Everton produce new young talent and are fully in line with the community being self defined as the people's club. Everton work within their means.

All the above is in line with RL values and strategies, he sounds like a good candidate for a very important role!

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Everton have an ageing side and sold their best player... the money was reinvested. Net spend is practically 0.

Big Sam was only supposed to be there until summer. 

Everton are a top club despite having an old crumbling stadium, thry are looking to improve their old ground without breaking the bank.Everton produce new young talent and are fully in line with the community being self defined as the people's club. Everton work within their means.

All the above is in line with RL values and strategies, he sounds like a good candidate for a very important role!

Really? https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2018/1/10/16873666/everton-chelsea-manchester-united-city-liverpool-tottenham-arsenal-spending-transfers-news

And how can the Cheif Executive be exonerated from blame for Everton having an ageing team? Surely it is incumbent upon him to ensure that the main assets of the business are fit for purpose?

Everton have turned from a well-run, top 6 club, to a basket case under his tenure. We should stay well away.

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Really? https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2018/1/10/16873666/everton-chelsea-manchester-united-city-liverpool-tottenham-arsenal-spending-transfers-news

And how can the Cheif Executive be exonerated from blame for Everton having an ageing team? Surely it is incumbent upon him to ensure that the main assets of the business are fit for purpose?

Everton have turned from a well-run, top 6 club, to a basket case under his tenure. We should stay well away.

How have they have an ageing team? 

How are they now a basket case? 

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I just looked at the Premier League table: Everton are 9th. With a good run to the end of the season it's entirely possible for them to finish 7th

Basket case?

Just now, DoubleD said:

How have they have an ageing team? 

How are they now a basket case? 

I didn't say they had an ageing team, the previous poster did.

How are they now a basket case? Have you seen the position they find themselves in? They spent a fortune in the summer, ended up sacking their new manager and replacing him with a crook, and now find themselves fighting to stay in the Premier League. How much more of a basket case can a club be?

7 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

And three losses might have them back down in the mix.

8 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I didn't say they had an ageing team, the previous poster did.

How are they now a basket case? Have you seen the position they find themselves in? They spent a fortune in the summer, ended up sacking their new manager and replacing him with a crook, and now find themselves fighting to stay in the Premier League. How much more of a basket case can a club be?

Everton have 37 points.

That is enough for survival in 99% of cases.... and there are 9 games remaining..

Net spend in the summer 50 mill..

Not that bad for a team trying to compete with countries and billionaire backers who buy players for 200mill+ 

Just now, yipyee said:

Everton have 37 points.

That is enough for survival in 99% of cases.... and there are 9 games remaining.. 

Congratulations. A once great club now revelling in the fact that it might just have enough points to avoid relegation.

Crazy spending and knee jerk management changes, just what RL needs.

Just now, Jim Prendle said:

Congratulations. A once great club now revelling in the fact that it might just have enough points to avoid relegation.

Once great? 

4th place highest PL finish, one trophy in 30 years and 9th place only a few points off 7th.

Most the clubs in the top 6 are owned by billionaires and have money to burn.

Everton have spent within their means and develop young talent.

I can't see any knee-jerk reactions as it took them ages to appoint a new manager and turned down allodyce originally. It's only after realising he was the best they could get and he is proven at stabilising teams that they appointed him. He obv isn't the end game. 

What crazy spending has there Been? 200mill for a player is crazy... 

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Thanks for your input, it’s been really valuable 

13 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Everton have 37 points.

This is not a job running a football club to get in the Champions League. Didn't he play a part in Everton getting a £200m cash investment last year? 

Archived