Josh Charnley

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

End of career pension fund

He is probably only half way through his playing career, and around 35-40 years off the end of his working career. How much do you think he is getting paid!!!!

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Of course we do need to be careful not to re-write history. 

Last season, when compared to all other outside backs and fullbacks, Russell was 24th on the errors list with 25 errors.

Way below the likes of Percival, Eden, Fonua, Briscoe, Connor, Hall, Watkins, Grace, Lineham, Burgess, Atkins etc....

Plenty of his errors are frustrating, but he also does an awful lot of good work.

In 2016, he made 26 errors, compared to Charnley's 32.

Russel just seems to be a convienient scapegoat at times. He’s a fullback by trade isn’t he? He’s been shoehorned into the wing position and done a pretty decent job IMO

51 minutes ago, nathanwood7 said:

I've watched a lot of Russell, and whilst he has some brilliant qualities such as his yardage out of dummy half, he has some massive flaws which don't appear to have improved at all since he first started playing, and in some cases have got worse. In the big games these frequently get highlighted. 

I would characterise his flaws as a general lack of a rugby brain. He is a great athlete and would be a good pick up for most clubs, but would gradually frustrate the fans with costly errors. His number of errors is only one part of it, but his poor positional play also gives rise to several other mistakes that wouldn't be chalked up on the Opta stats.

I'd be surprised if he plays for Warrington again. I think Steve Price has concluded that the minimum he expects from a winger is to be able to deal competently with kicks, defend in the right place and finish opportunities hence why Mitch Brown is getting a run.

And I suppose this is where we see a trade off of excitement vs steady as she goes.

Mitch Brown will make very few mistakes and will be solid, but he won't start something from nothing or light up the crowd with entertaining play.

As part of a team that was all about attack and running teams off the park, Russell is a better choice, unfortunately if the game became an arm wrestle, Russell could be more exposed, but games are more likely to become arm wrestles if you remove the exciting attacking talent. I suppose it is all about balance, and Charnley is a welcome addition imho.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Anyone know how he has been doing? Any injuries or owt?

Started off pretty well, just wasn't scoring tries. Then Solomona turned up and did score tries and Charnley couldn't get in the team. Not surprised he's gone, Sale have got plenty of wing cover and could probably use his chunk of the salary cap better elsewhere.

Good to see a fine player back in our game where he belongs. It'll be interesting to see how Price utilises him week by week and hopefully, once he's been treated for the arthritis he caught on the Sale wing, he'll be demonstrating the kind of form he once used to terrorise us against the opposition. 

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Russel just seems to be a convienient scapegoat at times. He’s a fullback by trade isn’t he? He’s been shoehorned into the wing position and done a pretty decent job IMO

His game against Widnes this year (probably his last ever game for Wire) was a killer for him. He was top metre maker, making busts, a clean break, and generally playing very well.

Unfortunately he then made 4 errors out of the team's 11 - but that isn't normal for him like many would make out.

He has held his own at Test level against quality opposition.

Good luck to him if he does move on, hope he has a strong finish to his career. I've enjoyed watching him in primrose and blue.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And I suppose this is where we see a trade off of excitement vs steady as she goes.

Mitch Brown will make very few mistakes and will be solid, but he won't start something from nothing or light up the crowd with entertaining play.

As part of a team that was all about attack and running teams off the park, Russell is a better choice, unfortunately if the game became an arm wrestle, Russell could be more exposed, but games are more likely to become arm wrestles if you remove the exciting attacking talent. I suppose it is all about balance, and Charnley is a welcome addition imho.

And maybe this tells us about Price to ? I wish charnley well , but whoever is on the wing they do of course need the creativity, movement and chances to finish things from general play . Unless it’s the old just try and score from kicks after five drives ...

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

His game against Widnes this year (probably his last ever game for Wire) was a killer for him. He was top metre maker, making busts, a clean break, and generally playing very well.

Unfortunately he then made 4 errors out of the team's 11 - but that isn't normal for him like many would make out.

He has held his own at Test level against quality opposition.

Good luck to him if he does move on, hope he has a strong finish to his career. I've enjoyed watching him in primrose and blue.

I wouldn’t mind him at Widnes, doubt we have the cash

Salford would be a good fit I think with O’Brien moving on. Him and Evalds can compete for the Wing/FB spots there

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I wouldn’t mind him at Widnes, doubt we have the cash

Salford would be a good fit I think with O’Brien moving on. Him and Evalds can compete for the Wing/FB spots there

Toronto?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

This. 

Hes always been a full back. One who returns the ball well

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. Additionally, the faster wingers in SL will tend to find a way past or around him, and we have seen signs of that since he came into the side.

I don't much like Charnley, but can shelve that if he starts scoring tries for us. I think he is just the sort of player we need (quick, solid, bit of unpredictability) so I am reassured to see the club have spotted that gap in our squad too.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

15 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

This. 

He didn’t handle full back well at Warrington, when compared to Ratchford who has the full complement of skills (although can also frustrate at times).

When moved to the wing he was generally good, especially in the days when we could get on the front foot.   I think as our squad changed and our attacking options decreased, his main skill of scooting and taking advantage of broken play was gone.   Therefore we only saw his weaknesses.

I hope he gets a run at Widnes as I fear for Salford’s survival.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

5 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

He didn’t handle full back well at Warrington, when compared to Ratchford who has the full complement of skills (although can also frustrate at times).

When moved to the wing he was generally good, especially in the days when we could get on the front foot.   I think as our squad changed and our attacking options decreased, his main skill of scooting and taking advantage of broken play was gone.   Therefore we only saw his weaknesses.

I hope he gets a run at Widnes as I fear for Salford’s survival.

So he’s the casualty because the whole squad is underperforming?

12 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I don't much like Charnley

I guess the main reason Wire fans don’t like him is that he always scored against us in important games and won Wigan the Grand Final in 2016

I always thought he was a bit cocky, probably due to the haircut and tattoos giving him that ‘ASBO’ appearance.   I’ve been a bit unfair with that presumption, as by all accounts he’s a hard-working farmer’s boy from Chorley.   Suppose I must have inadvertently been reading a copy of the Daily Mail or something ? and become a NIMBY.

Anyway, welcome to the Wire and hope the GF-winning experience helps us.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Just now, Spidey said:

Not really.   He’s been a scapegoat unfairly.   But he’s had a good run here during which his strengths were utilised.   Now we play differently I think Charnley and Lineham are the way forward.   Russell will do a great job for somebody though and his commitment is second to none.   One of the first names on Tony Smith’s team sheet every week.   Maybe a stint at Cats with a new coach?

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Its not underperforming its changing.

At a couple of times over the last few years our main attacking threat/route 1, was kick return, russell scoots, then ratchford scoots, then clark scoots.  The problem was that in 2016, teams had worked this out and negated this by not allowing russell to find his front and get a reasonably quick ptb, stop that and we were buggered.

As mentioned above he was originally a fullback, but he wasn't great at that, saint helens worked out  in his first season how poor he was under the ball, when we played them, they bombed the life out of him, had him turn around to his own sticks and he was like a rabbit in the headlights, the ones he did catch he'd turn and have the defence on him straight away.

Someone else said, he's possibly an athlete, not a rugby player, its surprising to think he's come through the wigan academy as he does seem to be very very unpolished.

He's just not very good overall, peta hiku didn't seem to have much confidence in him last season during the middle 8's, that's pretty damning.

6 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Not really.   He’s been a scapegoat unfairly.   But he’s had a good run here during which his strengths were utilised.   Now we play differently I think Charnley and Lineham are the way forward.   Russell will do a great job for somebody though and his commitment is second to none.   One of the first names on Tony Smith’s team sheet every week.   Maybe a stint at Cats with a new coach?

Lineham's a great example though, we spent big bucks on him, he underperformed quite badly at times in his debut season(including some of the same issues with russell, collecting/decisions on kicks), and smith dropped him. He came back at the end of the season a lot better, sometimes getting dropped can be the making of a player.

38 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Lineham's a great example though, we spent big bucks on him, he underperformed quite badly at times in his debut season(including some of the same issues with russell, collecting/decisions on kicks), and smith dropped him. He came back at the end of the season a lot better, sometimes getting dropped can be the making of a player.

He may have improved. I wouldn’t say he was worth the transfer fee though. 

There must be least 6-8 English wingers ahead of him currently that probably would be worth the investment that Lineham has cost so far

1 hour ago, gillmeister said:

This. 

He has bad positioning and is poor at catching and therefore became a liability in the fullback position. He does return the ball very well though.

On Josh, I am thrilled to see him back in his he game and happy that, having not come back to us, he has gone to such a good club. His talents are less likely to have disappeared than some others taking gap years in union, as he just needs to have kept his pace. He was a very talented all round player, a good centre in his HKR days, and has a 200m runner’s sustained speed. Once he is through the line no one catches him. 

With some leaway initially he could be challenging for England honours again. At his best, he would be better than all 3 of wigan’s current roster. Only Mandredi at his best would be better. 

As for Russell, you get what you expect from him - fearlessness, 100% commitment, headless chicken tendencies at times. A good squad man and a good man. 

Archived