Josh Charnley

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, chuffer said:

expect he'll have the same sort of impact on his return as hmmm...Joel Tomkins or lee smith

He hasn't been out of the game for that long, and he's in the physical prime of his mid-twenties. Once he gets used to the increased workrate and having to handle the ball more than he's been doing in the past year, we'll see.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

He hasn't been out of the game for that long, and he's in the physical prime of his mid-twenties. Once he gets used to the increased workrate and having to handle the ball more than he's been doing in the past year, we'll see.

I think he will do well  in his return to RL. On the wing in RU he has learnt that he has to read the game more if he wants the ball and I think that change in his game will throw some teams in RL as he might start popping up in places phe is not expected.

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

He's returned to RL,that'll do for me..;)

He earned abit of extra money he is still young and back to what he is good at, so fair enough.

7 minutes ago, kiyan said:

He earned abit of extra money he is still young and back to what he is good at, so fair enough.

I've no doubt he will still be earning that little bit of extra money. Marquee two for Wire.

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

I've no doubt he will still be earning that little bit of extra money. Marquee two for Wire.

That is another topic! He had a weekly piece in the MEN about rugby, since he left Wigan there is nothing about either code in that paper.

He is one of the few RL players in the uK where people know his name. RL need to exploit that and have him everywhere for 12 months.

Every TV appearance   every game show ......  The game needs a young, good looking, sexy guy to grab attention..  Shallow I know, but as is the world.

Get Dan Walker from Widnes in front of every camera.  Promote a few good looking lads, you will get girls and a some boys supporting them, they get famous and then you get others wanting that fame.

RL needs to support the faces not just the players!

15 minutes ago, kiyan said:

That is another topic! He had a weekly piece in the MEN about rugby, since he left Wigan there is nothing about either code in that paper.

He is one of the few RL players in the uK where people know his name. RL need to exploit that and have him everywhere for 12 months.

Every TV appearance   every game show ......  The game needs a young, good looking, sexy guy to grab attention..  Shallow I know, but as is the world.

Get Dan Walker from Widnes in front of every camera.  Promote a few good looking lads, you will get girls and a some boys supporting them, they get famous and then you get others wanting that fame.

RL needs to support the faces not just the players!

I tend to go with what they do on the park first,as egg is often left on face. But I see your point.

7 hours ago, kiyan said:

I think he will do well  in his return to RL. On the wing in RU he has learnt that he has to read the game more if he wants the ball and I think that change in his game will throw some teams in RL as he might start popping up in places phe is not expected.

He has learnt to look for the ball ? 4 tries in 32 appearances! Should have gone to spec Savers?

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Could be beneficial for warrington that he's not got as many 'match miles' on the clock if he's not been playing.

People have mentioned Lee smith as an exampled a league back, returning and struggling, to be fair, he wasn't great before he left leeds.

10 hours ago, kiyan said:

It doesn't take much reading to quickly learn that the ball in union will be with the spectators for most of the game.  It will certainly throw some teams in RL when he starts popping up in the stands asking if the spectators have seen the ball.  That would be unexpected.

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

6 minutes ago, David Wild said:

It doesn't take much reading to quickly learn that the ball in union will be with the spectators for most of the game.  It will certainly throw some teams in RL when he starts popping up in the stands asking if the spectators have seen the ball.  That would be unexpected.

Its a pretty easy checklist for finding the ball in union.

Is the ball:

A - under all the fat lads

B - in the stands

C - erm....thats it. 

58 minutes ago, dkw said:

Its a pretty easy checklist for finding the ball in union.

Is the ball:

A - under all the fat lads

B - in the stands

C - erm....thats it. 

You forgot 'on the kicking tee'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Ooh, is that one of them subtleties, or Is it a nuance....

I think the fact its on the kicking tee is the subtlety whether it is there for a conversion (unlikely) or a penalty is the nuance.. 

35 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Interesting to hear that Charnley says that the Sale players had no idea that there was an RL World Cup on! Shows where we are at in promoting our game to others

Is that interview available to listen to online, or was it on the radio?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

On 20/03/2018 at 12:18 PM, David Wild said:

Whatever.  But that chip ignores facts.  In the 6 nations a winger has set a record for most tries, in the AP another winger has the record for most tries scored.

36 minutes ago, kiyan said:

Whatever.  But that chip ignores facts.  In the 6 nations a winger has set a record for most tries, in the AP another winger has the record for most tries scored.

Your first point, one try could be a record, you have to quantify. Your second point, see the first point.

You have to fully qualify your claims.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 hours ago, kiyan said:

Not the "chippy" cliche insult Kiyan.  I thought you were better than that.  It is trotted out by union fans every time they feel union is being criticised, no matter how justified that criticism is.

I have just checked the OED for the definition of chippy and it states, "any union fan who feels compelled to post on a Rugby fans forum due to deep rooted insecurities about his / her own sport" HTH

On 24/03/2018 at 1:20 PM, David Wild said:

Not the "chippy" cliche insult Kiyan.  I thought you were better than that.  It is trotted out by union fans every time they feel union is being criticised, no matter how justified that criticism is.

I have just checked the OED for the definition of chippy and it states, "any union fan who feels compelled to post on a Rugby fans forum due to deep rooted insecurities about his / her own sport" HTH

Sorry for not getting back to quicker, but I was really trying to keep this off the cross forum board and hence why my OP was simple and factual.

To answer your other  question, the 21yr old Irish winger, Jacob Stockdale, has scored 7 tries to claim the 6 nations record and the top 3 try scorers in AP this season are wingers.

Charnley has lots of fans at Sale and has been getting more and more game time as he has learnt how to the game, but they have a glut of good wingers and allowed him to leave on good terms.

As for youe definition of chippy I would suggest you check again.

11 minutes ago, kiyan said:

Sorry for not getting back to quicker, but I was really trying to keep this off the cross forum board and hence why my OP was simple and factual.

To answer your other  question, the 21yr old Irish winger, Jacob Stockdale, has scored 7 tries to claim the 6 nations record and the top 3 try scorers in AP this season are wingers.

Charnley has lots of fans at Sale and has been getting more and more game time as he has learnt how to the game, but they have a glut of good wingers and allowed him to leave on good terms.

As for youe definition of chippy I would suggest you check again.

Thanks Kiyan - not sure what question you are referring to in my earlier post - I didn't ask one!.  Also, as advised, I have just checked the definition of chippy again and it remains as I stated earlier. HTH.

Archived