2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Don’t know if anyone saw that the Stevenson v Jack fight . Never been a fan of Ian John-Lewis , very poor official who makes to many mistakes in my opinion , and that reinforced that view . Stevenson was knackered after 6 rounds and held desparately and constantly , but all the ref did was tell him he was holding 20 times without doing anything . Blatant point at least and that would have won Jack the fight . Then IJL got extra fussy and started jumping in every five seconds . Frustrating, especially for Jack . I thought he deserved it but I guess you’ve no chance there 

Yeh I agree. It was pointed out how the downside of the current 10-9 system is with fights like this. Stevenson narrowly won uneventful rounds while Jack battered him in the rounds he won but they are scored the same. 

The other big fight this weekend was Warrington - Selby but it didn't really float my boat tbh. I didn't know much of them which didn't help. I've always thought I like boxing because of the ultimate physical test of skill rather than the brutal side (which is why I'm not a big fan of MMA) but watching a fight where neither could really hurt the other was like watching non-alcoholic beer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Two decent bouts this weekend live on BT Sport:

Tyson Fury (25-0) vs Sefer Seferi (23-1)

Seems no chances are being taken here against a 39 year old Albanian cruiserweight, but all comebacks are fraught with danger.

Terry Flanagan (33-0) vs Maurice Hooker (23-0-3)

For the vacant WBO Super Lightweight title with both undefeated and the top two ranked by the WBO.  Flanagan is an awkward southpaw from Manchester and Hooker is a hard hitting American who has been training with Terence Crawford.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Flanagan v Hooker and the rematch between Santa Cruz and Mares are interesting fights . The Fury and Crawford fights are mismatches but it’s good to watch Crawford because of how good he is and well , you just watch Tyson don’t you !!!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 12:52 PM, Gerrumonside ref said:

Two decent bouts this weekend live on BT Sport:

Tyson Fury (25-0) vs Sefer Seferi (23-1)

Seems no chances are being taken here against a 39 year old Albanian cruiserweight, but all comebacks are fraught with danger.

Terry Flanagan (33-0) vs Maurice Hooker (23-0-3)

For the vacant WBO Super Lightweight title with both undefeated and the top two ranked by the WBO.  Flanagan is an awkward southpaw from Manchester and Hooker is a hard hitting American who has been training with Terence Crawford.

I'm looking forward to Fury's comeback. You just never know, I remember when Hatton tried to come back he said everything felt great in training and sparring but as soon as he got in the ring he knew he didn't have it any more. 

By all reports Fury is looking amazing but you just never know when he gets in the ring again. That said I'm putting money on a KO in rounds 1—2.

Judging by the reports I've read, the fight in the crowd was a better match than Fury's comeback.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Judging by the reports I've read, the fight in the crowd was a better match than Fury's comeback.

It was all a bit farcical tbh. It was like a pantomime show for 2 rounds then Fury got a bit more serious before Seferi quit in round 4 despite not taking any serious shots.

He clearly needs fights to get up to speed but I don't think he's come out of it well. I suspect we'll see a more serious Fury from now on. 

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It was all a bit farcical tbh. It was like a pantomime show for 2 rounds then Fury got a bit more serious before Seferi quit in round 4 despite not taking any serious shots.

He clearly needs fights to get up to speed but I don't think he's come out of it well. I suspect we'll see a more serious Fury from now on. 

Just a toe back in the water, fighting a pumped-up Cruiserweight. I expect the next couple of fights are already well on the way to being confirmed.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just a toe back in the water, fighting a pumped-up Cruiserweight. I expect the next couple of fights are already well on the way to being confirmed.

They as much as confirmed he'll be fighting on the Frampton bill in August. 

As he'll not be top of the bill I expect it'll be a bit more serious and purposeful than this was. 

• 1 month later...

Been a while on this one.

The whole Wilder-Joshua thing has somewhat predictably stalled, here's hoping not indefinitely. 

Whilst that's happened there's a cracking fight on this weekend, Whyte vs Parker. Parker was outboxed by a taller man against Joshua but Whyte will go for it against a man who's never been knocked out. Not quite sure it's PPV material but looks like a truly 50/50 fight. 

Most impressive recent performance was Usyk VS Gassiev last week. He's like a larger Loma and dominated a fight, winning nearly every round, between two undefeated boxers fighting to be undisputed champion. Bellew has called him out but would be silly to fight him I reckon. 

Joshua now faces Povetkin in September which should be a decent and dangerous fight. Wilder will no doubt fight someone like my nan and wonder why no one watches. 

• Like 1

It’s a complete disgrace this is PPV , especially as theyve not mentioned much that Brook and now Eggington have pulled out . I’ll just about swallow very  top fights as PPV but by and large they stick in my craw when I’m paying already and it’s being diluted to much now which isn’t right and I can only see it getting more so . This is a good eliminator , that’s it and the undercard is no more than decent . 

As for Usyk that fight shocked me . I tipped Gassiev as he blew me away in the SF , but he was just insipid and a perfect opponent to accentuate Usyks assets . I hope he fights Bellew and then it may be more of a dogfight , which you must get these slicksters into 

ive lost respect for Wilder. All American gob but backs off when the forms are on the table . Ortiz exposed him and AJ would be to strong IMO . Totally deficient technically to laughable proportions hoping he lands a haymaker from the back of the stand . I hope he gets it bigstyle one day , he even backed off white 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Booked my tickets for AJ v Povetkin yesterday - fleeced by the Hearns on P&P again!

Povetkin will be tough and was very physical against Price in March. He's very pumped up and comes out very explosively (how much of that is natural however I'll let people come to their own conclusions). However I feel that if AJ takes him beyond 5 or 6 rounds, which I'm sure he is capable of doing, I don't think he has the stamina to keep up.

Wilder is utterly ridiculous. How he has not been ordered by the WBC to fight Joshua is beyond me. He has forfeited his rights to a majority of the fights earnings too by waiting so long to fight AJ. AJ now gets 70k to watch him live plus large numbers on PPV. Wilder barely got above 15k in his home state. AJ also holds all the Belts - so yeah he probably does get to dictate terms to Wilder. 

Personally I think Wilder knows this will be the biggest fight he's ever involved in and is trying to cream as much money from it as possible. I don't blame him for that necessarily but there comes a point where all the bravado and talk appears just that. 

At this rate I reckon Fury may even get a shot at Wilder before AJ does.

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Booked my tickets for AJ v Povetkin yesterday - fleeced by the Hearns on P&P again!

Povetkin will be tough and was very physical against Price in March. He's very pumped up and comes out very explosively (how much of that is natural however I'll let people come to their own conclusions). However I feel that if AJ takes him beyond 5 or 6 rounds, which I'm sure he is capable of doing, I don't think he has the stamina to keep up.

Wilder is utterly ridiculous. How he has not been ordered by the WBC to fight Joshua is beyond me. He has forfeited his rights to a majority of the fights earnings too by waiting so long to fight AJ. AJ now gets 70k to watch him live plus large numbers on PPV. Wilder barely got above 15k in his home state. AJ also holds all the Belts - so yeah he probably does get to dictate terms to Wilder. 

Personally I think Wilder knows this will be the biggest fight he's ever involved in and is trying to cream as much money from it as possible. I don't blame him for that necessarily but there comes a point where all the bravado and talk appears just that. 

Fast Eddie always wins ! Often off us . He’s got it comfy at Sky . Wilder is delusional if he thinks he’s 50/50 with Josh . He fights in crowds measured in hundreds and is already being offered a kings ransom but I think he’s just pushing it as far as he can get away with and then if it really looks like matchroom are ready to walk he’ll sign them as he really has no more avenues to go down . Other than Tyson ... wouldn’t that be interesting 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Fast Eddie always wins ! Often off us . He’s got it comfy at Sky . Wilder is delusional if he thinks he’s 50/50 with Josh . He fights in crowds measured in hundreds and is already being offered a kings ransom but I think he’s just pushing it as far as he can get away with and then if it really looks like matchroom are ready to walk he’ll sign them as he really has no more avenues to go down . Other than Tyson ... wouldn’t that be interesting 

Totally agree. Joshua has a fight April 13th at Wembley lined up so hopefully that will be Wilder. Yet to see a fight live at Wembley but it has a lot to live up to after Cardiff.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Winner of Whyte v Parker will fight Wilder before AJ.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Two great fights . Chuffed for Del Boy , I do have a soft spot for him despite his barnpot tendencies . I hope he gets a shot somewhere as a last chance . Sorry , I said the same thing about Parker last time - he’s just not enough of a fighter . White is a street thug and you must mix it with him but again he was to reluctant and got bullied . No point trying to win in thirty seconds - where was that . I barely gave him anything . He needs to be less nice , less passive and show more of that grit he showed at the death . Pleased for white , he should keep chasing wilder he’ll petrify him and at least have a go

23 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Two great fights . Chuffed for Del Boy , I do have a soft spot for him despite his barnpot tendencies . I hope he gets a shot somewhere as a last chance . Sorry , I said the same thing about Parker last time - he’s just not enough of a fighter . White is a street thug and you must mix it with him but again he was to reluctant and got bullied . No point trying to win in thirty seconds - where was that . I barely gave him anything . He needs to be less nice , less passive and show more of that grit he showed at the death . Pleased for white , he should keep chasing wilder he’ll petrify him and at least have a go

After the Browne fight, I thought Whyte was looking very good but last night was a pure heart win. 

I don't think he'd trouble Wilder too much especially if they fought in America. He's shown he can be knocked out and it'd only take one good shot for Wilder to have him down. He could beat him but equally it could be over within two rounds. 

Parker was always a bit unproven for me even before the Joshua fight, too many of his fights were domestic Kiwi bouts and the standard can't be great. He nearly did enough to win but even if he had he couldn't have justified a shot against AJ or Wilder. 

14 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Big talk today that Fury and Wilder negotiations are underway for a bout in November/December. 

Incredibly early odds have Fury as the favourite. 

Just seen that talks are going ahead confirmed by Fury and Frank Warren. To be fair it makes more sense for them to accept Wilder's demands than it does for Joshua.