6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

My turn to show off.

I predicted Fury to be world champion one day in 2010.

Considering this, it was a bold prediction...

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

45 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Show off...

“Maximus Decimus‏: Joshua. Literally nobody rated Fury before Klitschko. He is Buster Douglas if he took 3 years off and then fought nobodies.”

On the BBC... ???

On the BBC?

Haye was 4-1 on against Fury. His win was a massive upset and no matter how good, one win doesn't make a legacy. 

46 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

My turn to show off.

I predicted Fury to be world champion one day in 2010.

I wouldn't have disagreed, however it depends what World Champion we're talking. I could've believed he'd win the WBU, WBZ or IBQ or something. 

6 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I wouldn't have disagreed, however it depends what World Champion we're talking. I could've believed he'd win the WBU, WBZ or IBQ or something. 

It was a prediction I later regretted, as he had the ability, but a terrible attitude which was evident a couple of years later.  I was referring to the leading world champion, which seemed brave back then was a British champion was rare.  I was right by fluke.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Someone on Radio 5 this morning was saying that AJ is already the most-watched boxer in history when it comes to live fight broadcasts. Given that he's mainly been on PPV, that's quite something.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Someone on Radio 5 this morning was saying that AJ is already the most-watched boxer in history when it comes to live fight broadcasts. Given that he's mainly been on PPV, that's quite something.

They're getting mixed up. It's been widely reported this weekend that he'll be the most watched boxer in history based on average attendance.

Well , he got there in the end and that’s what he can do to you , but I was slightly concerned there tbh . The punch at the end of the first seemed to have an effect and for a few rounds he was a little tentative and sluggish , and Povetkin was chugging forward throwing good shots with good momentum . I always rated Povetkin as one of the top three heavyweights in terms of all round skills , and I thought AJ had to push him back and throw combinations to scramble him , and he wasn’t really doing it . But the top guys can wipe you from nowhere and the finish was great . What wilder thinks ? Well both have shown vulnerabilities so for boxings sake it just has to happen . For AJ there , immense kudos when you look at who’s he fought in such a short time . Can’t think there’s been many who’ve done so much so fast . He has the form way ahead of wilder 

Thought it was a great recovery from Joshua as he came back from some worrying signs as early as the end of the first when his nose was a mess.  Povetkin is no mug and his left hook is very dangerous.  Joshua watched it pretty carefully throughout the fight keeping his own right hand high.  The finish itself in the 7th was devastating and showed Joshua at his best in his ability to get his man out of there when he gets him going.  

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well , he got there in the end and that’s what he can do to you , but I was slightly concerned there tbh . The punch at the end of the first seemed to have an effect and for a few rounds he was a little tentative and sluggish , and Povetkin was chugging forward throwing good shots with good momentum . I always rated Povetkin as one of the top three heavyweights in terms of all round skills , and I thought AJ had to push him back and throw combinations to scramble him , and he wasn’t really doing it . But the top guys can wipe you from nowhere and the finish was great . What wilder thinks ? Well both have shown vulnerabilities so for boxings sake it just has to happen . For AJ there , immense kudos when you look at who’s he fought in such a short time . Can’t think there’s been many who’ve done so much so fast . He has the form way ahead of wilder 

I wasn't too worried after about round 4. I had a fiver on Povetkin and at the end of the first round it was showing me double on cash out. By the end of round I was amazed to find it'd gone down to 4 quid. 

I think the reason was that Povetkin looked impressive lunging forward but it was getting less and less successful as the fight went on. In the 6th round Joshua landed 21 punches to only 6 for Povetkin. The tide was definitely turning. 

The concern with the Wilder fight is that he probably wouldn't get a couple of rounds like that to work his way in. 

9 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I wasn't too worried after about round 4. I had a fiver on Povetkin and at the end of the first round it was showing me double on cash out. By the end of round I was amazed to find it'd gone down to 4 quid. 

I think the reason was that Povetkin looked impressive lunging forward but it was getting less and less successful as the fight went on. In the 6th round Joshua landed 21 punches to only 6 for Povetkin. The tide was definitely turning. 

The concern with the Wilder fight is that he probably wouldn't get a couple of rounds like that to work his way in. 

Yes I was thinking of Wilders power , but also remember Wilder v Ortiz , where he was in all sorts against a lesser opponent . It could come down to who lands first. I’d still back AJ with his all round strength , boxing skills ( wilder has virtually none ) and I think underrated power . It just must happen . Even if Tyson wins that’s still a great fight mind . I still think it’s unsatisfactory that AJ is fighting only twice a year , fast Eddie said often he wanted him out three times , and April is an age away . But I guess the rarer he’s seen the more value his appearances have . Big change from times past !

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

There were, I think, reasonable concerns about AJ being a very inexperienced world champion.

He is less and less inexperienced all the time.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Quote of the evening “ I don’t want to be disrespectful .... but Tyson Fury is the most unentertaining fighter I’ve ever seen “ .    Fast Eddie . Not that he wants to be disrespectful mind. Can’t believe he never watched Johnny Nelson , Rigondeaux or a lot of others . He’s obviously just getting a dig back in . The Fury’s and Hearn aren’t busom buddies. Tyson’s reaction to last night ? Big Josh is a bum , biggest bum he’s ever seen and he’s right to stay well clear of him as it would be Tyson’s easiest night ever 

Edited by DavidM

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Quote of the evening “ I don’t want to be disrespectful .... but Tyson Fury is the most unentertaining fighter I’ve ever seen “ .    Fast Eddie . Not that he wants to be disrespectful mind. Can’t believe he never watched Johnny Nelson , Rigondeaux or a lot of others . He’s obviously just getting a dig back in . The Fury’s and Hearn aren’t busom buddies. Tyson’s reaction to last night ? Big Josh is a bum , biggest bum he’s ever seen and he’s right to stay well clear of him as it would be Tyson’s easiest night ever 

Of course it is, but he's all bluster. I think there's a good chance he won't last a few minutes with Wilder, then he might change his tune. Let's not forget a more in his prime Fury was cleanly knocked down by Cunningham. If that was Wilder he isn't getting up. 

I've said on here about how fascinated I am by how highly Fury is rated. The reason I say is because I can remember how he was viewed prior to the Klitschko fight. For my sins, I've watched that fight a couple of times with the HBO commentary on, and it wasn't seen as this masterclass at the time either. 

It was seen as an incredibly dull fight where Klitschko wasn't doing enough. Fury starts to get some credit towards the end but only for nullifying a poor looking Klitschko. 

Regardless of the truth of that night, it's not enough to see him presented as some heavyweight Floyd Mayweather Jnr. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yes I was thinking of Wilders power , but also remember Wilder v Ortiz , where he was in all sorts against a lesser opponent . It could come down to who lands first. I’d still back AJ with his all round strength , boxing skills ( wilder has virtually none ) and I think underrated power . It just must happen . Even if Tyson wins that’s still a great fight mind . I still think it’s unsatisfactory that AJ is fighting only twice a year , fast Eddie said often he wanted him out three times , and April is an age away . But I guess the rarer he’s seen the more value his appearances have . Big change from times past !

I think it's about who seriously catches who first. Wilder has been rocked seriously twice by much lesser punchers than Joshua. 

Because of Wilder's poor record it's hard to accurately judge his chances. He clearly has superhuman power in his right hand but he's never really faced anyone capable of knocking him out so it's hard to know how good his chin is.

21 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I fancy Dillian Whyte to beat Wilder if he doesn't become reckless.

LIke MD, I am a little surprised that Fury and Wilder are seen as two thirds of a big three.  AJ is clearly the best and I agree, Whyte and Wilder does seem a close fight to me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

LIke MD, I am a little surprised that Fury and Wilder are seen as two thirds of a big three.  AJ is clearly the best and I agree, Whyte and Wilder does seem a close fight to me.

Whyte should have fought Wilder by now as his mandatory but Wilder didn’t want any part of him . Whyte has done everything , jumped through every hoop , and had been frozen out . More than deserves  his shot 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Whyte should have fought Wilder by now as his mandatory but Wilder didn’t want any part of him . Whyte has done everything , jumped through every hoop , and had been frozen out . More than deserves  his shot 

He also pointed out this week that Wilder sent him a message saying he doesn't have to fight him for 2 years if he doesn't want to. They guy has ran a great PR campaign dissing AJ when there are far more questions about why he hasn't faced anyone decent. He turned pro the same time Joshua took up boxing, why has he still not fought anyone?

Wilder is very dangerous make no bones about it, I think he'll beat Fury quite early on and I think he'd knock Whyte out. He only needs one chance and both Fury and Whyte have been put down quite easily. 

The issue he has is that he's never faced a big hitter or somebody with a granite chin. He's been rocked by boxers not known for their power so may have struggled had he faced Povetkin or Klitschko and may struggle against Joshua if he gets caught.

• Like 1