Got back from London yesterday with a bit to reflect on as I can now compare Wembley and Cardiff directly for an AJ fight. 

Personally the overall atmosphere around the ground and to an extent in it was better at Cardiff. We didn't manage to get to Wembley as early as we did to Cardiff so didn't really go to any of the pubs however there wasn't really an incentive to do that either with us being able to do that in Central London. In the stadium itself the atmosphere built but as it rained for a good few hours before the main event the uncovered levels remained sparsely populated - this was also partly due to the undercards not being as good as last time. Also, as any RL fan knows 70k at Wembley despite being a great turnout still feels a bit empty. I have to say that I preferred Cardiff as a stadium more than Wembley (perhaps because the beer was cheaper).

All that being said, by the time AJ came out the place was buzzing. In essence it really did feel like "the lions den" (falling for the Hearn marketing I know but hey it works). In terms of the actual fight, I enjoyed this main event more than the last one. Povetkin was a great challenger and I reckon would give Wilder a good run. 

Though Wembley was still difficult to get away from (we were held at two points on Wembley way for a long time before being able to even enter the station), it was nothing compared to the chaos at the coaches and the traffic leaving Cardiff which eventually resulted in our coach getting back to Bristol at half 4 in the morning. No doubt the fact that hotel prices across south Wales sky rocketed for that night persuaded more people to get the coaches.

Overall then, my friends and I will be going to the next fight in April at Wembley regardless of who its against. My money is on Wilder (I see him beating Fury) or Whyte at the moment. Though I have heard some rumours that Hearn was trying to get Whyte in first that have probably been scuppered by Fury. Overall both Cardiff and Wembley have their strongpoints and I hope Hearn can rotate between the two.

18 hours ago, Bob8 said:

LIke MD, I am a little surprised that Fury and Wilder are seen as two thirds of a big three.  AJ is clearly the best and I agree, Whyte and Wilder does seem a close fight to me.

I don't think we can write  Povetkin off completely, Fury can and does fight defensively but I'm not sure Wilder can, he's been to used to being the aggressor. 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, graveyard johnny said:

cant stomach boxing these days, lack of characters - Tyson would have destroyed Joshua within 30 seconds in his early 20s

Marciano would have destroyed the lot of them. Having watched his fights he made mincemeat of fellows head and shoulders bigger than himself, and there were better heavies and middleweights around in those days.

1 hour ago, saddleworth said:

Marciano would have destroyed the lot of them. Having watched his fights he made mincemeat of fellows head and shoulders bigger than himself, and there were better heavies and middleweights around in those days.

Not a chance, far too small to compete against heavyweights today

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Not a chance, far too small to compete against heavyweights today

Forget competing, he simply wouldn't be allowed to box in that weight division, and neither would a few other greats of the past like Dempsey or (if we're really going back) Cribb.

They'd almost certainly be lethal at whatever weight class they ended up in, given a time machine, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Forget competing, he simply wouldn't be allowed to box in that weight division, and neither would a few other greats of the past like Dempsey or (if we're really going back) Cribb.

They'd almost certainly be lethal at whatever weight class they ended up in, given a time machine, though.

Great point . Amazing to think the likes of Marciano , Dempsey and Patterson would probably be around 13 stone . 

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes.

Cribb is going back a bit.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Great point . Amazing to think the likes of Marciano , Dempsey and Patterson would probably be around 13 stone . 

Remember when the thought of a 20 stone RL prop was fanciful, let alone a winger?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Remember when the thought of a 20 stone RL prop was fanciful, let alone a winger?

There’s been more of a debate in racing in recent times about jockeys weights , and raising the perameters due to people’s weights getting naturally bigger over time . It’s seen as a health hazard to see guys boiling down to basically unnatural sizes . Similar debate about set weights in boxing .

36 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone thinking of watching Callum Smith vs George Groves in the Super Middleweight Super Series final this Friday night?

Chris Eubank Jr on the undercard too.

The bookies are finding it pretty hard to call.

I’ll try and catch it . Seems to have gone under the radar but it’s as good a match up of any of the big fights around 

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yes , and like BT seems a far from straightforward thing to do 

Can't see how this is justified as PPV. Yes it's a big fight but neither of them are big draws, it'll be lucky to break 5 figures. 

23 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Can't see how this is justified as PPV. Yes it's a big fight but neither of them are big draws, it'll be lucky to break 5 figures. 

Shocking how itv have made this super series PPV . I take it they want  people to watch it and for it grow ? This would have been a great fight on ITV with big  numbers . Outside of Josh I just don’t see the justification other than people on big money getting even bigger money on the back of fans 

Edited by DavidM

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

George Groves has fought at Wembley don’t forget, so he certainly has a fanbase.

Tbh it’s garbage like Haye vs Bellew I object to paying for or even eliminators like Whyte vs Parker.

I would of preferred the parcelling up of the Cruiserweight and Super Middleweight Super Series finales on the same ticket.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

One interesting looking fight that is being shown on FTA (Channel 5) is Kubrat Pulev vs Hughie Fury from Bulgaria on 27th October.

It’s the heavyweight final eliminator for a shot at Joshua’s IBF belt.

Pulev has a 25-1 record including 5 straight wins.  Hughie Fury recently won the British title against Sam Sexton and of course lost on points to Joseph Parker when challenging for his belt.

It’s a brave move taking on Pulev in his homeland they say and maybe H. Fury could fight AJ before cousin Tyson.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

24 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

One interesting looking fight that is being shown on FTA (Channel 5) is Kubrat Pulev vs Hughie Fury from Bulgaria on 27th October.

Pulev has a 25-1 record including 5 straight wins.  Hughie Fury recently won the British title against Sam Sexton and of course lost on points to Joseph Parker when challenging for his belt.

It’s a brave move taking on Pulev in his homeland they say and maybe H. Fury could fight AJ before cousin Tyson.

Yes excellent fight 

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

George Groves has fought at Wembley don’t forget, so he certainly has a fanbase.

Tbh it’s garbage like Haye vs Bellew I object to paying for or even eliminators like Whyte vs Parker.

I would of preferred the parcelling up of the Cruiserweight and Super Middleweight Super Series finales on the same ticket.

Groves was very much the B side to Froch and it was a response to the way the first finished. He's not enough on his own to draw a big audience.

PPV isn't about the prestige of the fight but the size and interest. Khan vs Froch wouldn't have anything on the line but would easily be PPV material. Joshua has had over a million buys but I'm not sure Groves-Smith would even get a million viewers on FTA.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wasn't he scheduled to fight Joshua?

21 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Groves was very much the B side to Froch and it was a response to the way the first finished. He's not enough on his own to draw a big audience.

PPV isn't about the prestige of the fight but the size and interest. Khan vs Froch wouldn't have anything on the line but would easily be PPV material. Joshua has had over a million buys but I'm not sure Groves-Smith would even get a million viewers on FTA.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on who was bringing the fan base at Wembley between Groves and Froch.

• Like 1