Great finish by Callum Smith in the 7th.  

Rocked him with a left hook and then swarmed all over Groves who was desperately trying to cover up in the corner.  Smith sunk a devastating body shot followed by a brutal uppercut and a right hook.

Groves took a knee, but never looked willing to beat the count after the huge attack that Smith had launched.

Smith is a worthy champion at Super Middleweight and that’s probably the last we’ll see of George Groves.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Great finish by Callum Smith in the 7th.  

Rocked him with a left hook and then swarmed all over Groves who was desperately trying to cover up in the corner.  Smith sunk a devastating body shot followed by a brutal uppercut and a right hook.

Groves took a knee, but never looked willing to beat the count after the huge attack that Smith had launched.

Smith is a worthy champion at Super Middleweight and that’s probably the last we’ll see of George Groves.

I was impressed by him, I thought he was comfortably winning although one judge had him 59-55 behind. 

Groves didn't seem quite right and it's probably best he hangs his gloves up. 

33 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I was impressed by him, I thought he was comfortably winning although one judge had him 59-55 behind. 

Yes, I agree and Groves has nothing left to prove.

He’s been world champion and been part of a big night of Wembley boxing bringing the fans great entertainment.

He can retire a happy man hopefully.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, I agree and Groves has nothing left to prove.

He’s been world champion and been part of a big night of Wembley boxing bringing the fans great entertainment.

He can retire a happy man hopefully.

Most definitely, his win over Degale was unexpected but the first Froch fight showed how good he can be. Nobody outclassed Froch like he did in those first few rounds. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Is that right ? Then he should be struck off. Bad , incompetent , influenced by house fighters  or dodgy scoring is a blight on boxing . Guys put their lives into this sport to get shafted far to often . This is one of many subjects that sends Teddy Atlas into meltdown ! On this one Smiths composure and sheer size looked key . Groves seemed to be struggling to get inside and Smith controlled rounds , even close ones. The perception was he was ascendant . He looked the puncher to and after wobbling him a couple of times put in a devastating finish . He’s always been by far the best of the brothers and hopefully goes on to have a good reign and fight the best

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Is that right ? Then he should be struck off. Bad , incompetent , influenced by house fighters  or dodgy scoring is a blight on boxing . Guys put their lives into this sport to get shafted far to often . This is one of many subjects that sends Teddy Atlas into meltdown ! On this one Smiths composure and sheer size looked key . Groves seemed to be struggling to get inside and Smith controlled rounds , even close ones. The perception was he was ascendant . He looked the puncher to and after wobbling him a couple of times put in a devastating finish . He’s always been by far the best of the brothers and hopefully goes on to have a good reign and fight the best

I take it you saw Atlas on Rogan then?

Boxing will lose to UFC in the long run because of the way it developed without proper governance. The promoters pay the judges, how absurd is that? Then you have the alphabet titles which allow situations where fighters can avoid other fighters but call themselves champions. 

10 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Boxing will lose to UFC in the long run because of the way it developed without proper governance. The promoters pay the judges, how absurd is that? Then you have the alphabet titles which allow situations where fighters can avoid other fighters but call themselves champions. 

I’ve heard him many times ! After various shocking scorecards on ESPN he’s gone totally ballistic , and I think his manner and throwaway lines is a part of the sidelining of him . I agree with lots of what he says , but as you say he taints it by pushing it to the limit which you have to be wary of without evidence. You can do more harm than good  . There’s lots of incompetence , poor officiating and judges consciously / subconsciously influenced by crowds , champions , house / promoters fighters , which really annoys you as a viewer . But beyond that , who knows and we probably wouldn’t want to ... Boxing is a strange sport that’s far from transparent ,with lots of funny business ...  and after a bout you’re waiting to see who’s won and then you can’t guarantee you get what youve earned ! Still , has ever been thus . 

Edited by DavidM

12 hours ago, Damien said:

This is huge news for Boxing particularly as they have bankrolled many fights in the past:

https://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/hbo-announces-its-out-of-the-boxing-business/

Reading the actual article it seems losing HBO is going to be no great loss to the sport.

They are not tied to any of the big promoters here or in the USA anymore so their exit is nothing more than an acceptance that they have nothing to show anymore.

It also shows that the subscription model is probably starting to lose out to live streaming at least in this sport in the USA.

14 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

As far as the alphabet soup of champions is concerned, there are currently 12 "World Champions" (plus two vacant titles) in Mixed Martial Arts at heavyweight alone. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

As far as the alphabet soup of champions is concerned, there are currently 12 "World Champions" (plus two vacant titles) in Mixed Martial Arts at heavyweight alone. 

The WBA have a regular champion ... interim champion ... super champion ... emeritus champion .... champion in recess...

Currently watching Groves v Smith on YouTube, and I must say I like the look of the latter. Clearly he's been solidly schooled in correct technique, and has built on those foundations well.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The difference is that there is a clear leader and everybody knows who that leader is. UFC is all that really matters in MMA and anyone from Bellator or the others trying to make out they're really the world champions would get laughed at. It's like professional wrestling, there are many promotions with World Title holders but there is only one organisation that anyone is really aware of. 

In boxing, they are not separate promotions with their own fighters but belts covering the same group of fighters. Boxing fans know which ones really count but even then it can be unclear especially to the general public. A good example is the film The Fighter which ends with his winning a title against all the odds.

The film doesn't mention that the title was the WBU which in his next fight he didn't even defend and stopped in 2004.

I think Team Sauerland’s Super Series is the way forward with quarter finals, semi finals and a final between 8 boxers that are recognised in the top ten in their weight division over a pretty shortish period.

Cuts out a lot of hyperbole surrounding fights and focuses the public on a recognisable format.

That said the boxers are putting their lives on the line and it’s difficult to deny them the chance of a decent payday via lucrative mandatory or voluntary defences of their choosing.

46 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think Team Sauerland’s Super Series is the way forward with quarter finals, semi finals and a final between 8 boxers that are recognised in the top ten in their weight division over a pretty shortish period.

Cuts out a lot of hyperbole surrounding fights and focuses the public on a recognisable format.

That said the boxers are putting their lives on the line and it’s difficult to deny them the chance of a decent payday via lucrative mandatory or voluntary defences of their choosing.

It’s took off hasn’t it . I think getting it on terrestrial tv would be brilliant . It’s a concept that cuts through all the confusion of boxing and can be understood by folk

Well the Wilder-Fury press conferences were interesting... They were a bit embarrassingly false when it came to the argy-bargy. There weren't devoid of interest though, one take-away was that I honestly think Fury thinks he'll win. There was a suspicion beforehand that he was just taking a big pay day.

He also made a couple of comments that I don't think went down well with Wilder's side. Firstly he questioned his record even having a go about his Luis Ortiz fight. Worst of all he insinuated that Wilder only took the fight because he thinks Fury is done. This is obviously the case but they tried to make out it is really because he's the best.

The final embarrassing feature was how they tried to make out like this is the real fight to make out who the best heavyweight is yet needed to keep mentioning Joshuas name to drum up interest.

The apparently successful attempt to paint AJ as the one ducking Wilder is beyond criminal.

I don’t blame Fury for taking a shot at a world title as they don’t come around often. 

Not sure he looks ready after two comeback fights, but there’s no doubt that the path to glory and riches that runs via Wilder is easier than fighting Joshua at this point.

For me, Fury is the better boxer, but Wilder carries more power which could make for a classic duel between ‘boxer’ and ‘puncher’.

One other British name that is in action tonight is Daniel Dubois.  He’s fighting American, Kevin Johnson (on BT), who AJ stopped in two rounds.  It’s a slight step up in class for Dubois who is a massive favourite and it’ll be interesting to see how quickly he can take Johnson out.

Dubois could get get in the mix if the buoyant British heavyweight scene continues.

Fury v Wilder will be a very interesting clash of styles. Looking forward to it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I often wondered if Tyson really believed everything he said but I honestly think he does . Seems crackers a lot of the time but he obviously has enormous self belief . He also tries to get inside an opponents head. He turned Klitschko inside out before their fight , but whether it’ll work here I doubt . He’s right about Wilders record , it’s very average , but I just feel over 12 rounds he’s gonna get hit - and that’ll be the decider . Looking back at his last fight Tyson got caught way to much and if that was wilder... I wish him all the best mind . I don’t rate wilder at all as a boxer , really one of the worst at basics and boxing technicians ever , but that equaliser is his cover all . No doubt at all , big if mind , if it goes 12 Tyson wins . It’s just getting there 

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I often wondered if Tyson really believed everything he said but I honestly think he does . Seems crackers a lot of the time but he obviously has enormous self belief . He also tries to get inside an opponents head. He turned Klitschko inside out before their fight , but whether it’ll work here I doubt . He’s right about Wilders record , it’s very average , but I just feel over 12 rounds he’s gonna get hit - and that’ll be the decider . Looking back at his last fight Tyson got caught way to much and if that was wilder... I wish him all the best mind . I don’t rate wilder at all as a boxer , really one of the worst at basics and boxing technicians ever , but that equaliser is his cover all . No doubt at all , big if mind , if it goes 12 Tyson wins . It’s just getting there 

Tyson Fury may have got hit a bit too often last time, but he was rusty, and will be very aware of Wilder's power. As Fury is capable of regular and southpaw styles, I'd expect him to be awkward to avoid and frustrate Wilder's punching, but I certainly expect his chin will be tested at some point.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Tyson Fury may have got hit a bit too often last time, but he was rusty, and will be very aware of Wilder's power. As Fury is capable of regular and southpaw styles, I'd expect him to be awkward to avoid and frustrate Wilder's punching, but I certainly expect his chin will be tested at some point.

I think Wilder's power is indisputable. There's knocking people out and then there's the way he's knocked people out. He makes people do this unusual kind of stagger where their legs lock out. Klitschko, Haye and other boxers have attested to his other worldly power in sparring.

The problem he has is that his defensive side has never been tested by a top heavyweight. There are glimpses from the level of fighters he's fought previously that his chin isn't the best. He provides multiple opportunities for a fighter to catch him plush.

On to Fury. I think Fury is underestimating his power and thinking he'll be able to avoid him easily enough for 12 rounds. I don't think he will. The Cunningham fight demonstrated that he's not Floyd Mayweather and does get caught. 

Fury can win but I think it's equally likely he'll be knocked out within 3 rounds. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Huge news out of the USA: Canelo has signed a $350 million, 11 fight deal with DAZN. 

There's been a lot of negativity to Hearn and DAZN but this is likely to change everything. A lot of those fighters who were reluctant will now be regretting their decisions. The two biggest boxers in the world are now on DAZN. 

29 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Huge news out of the USA: Canelo has signed a $350 million, 11 fight deal with DAZN. 

There's been a lot of negativity to Hearn and DAZN but this is likely to change everything. A lot of those fighters who were reluctant will now be regretting their decisions. The two biggest boxers in the world are now on DAZN. 

Golden Boy is a big contract to get hold of . Looks like Eddie was ahead of the curve signing up to this platform