6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Which Wilder fights are you thinking of in particular where he’s displayed good boxing skills?

I must admit that I’ve seen him box 4 or 5 times now on television and seen him struggle to control fights in all of them.

I respect David Haye, but sparring is a different animal to the fights themselves.

I never said he was good, just that his boxing skills are better than most people think seems to be something I'm hearing a lot. Apparently, he's getting a lot better at disguising his right hand and he is very quick.

I'd only seen highlight reels until the Ortiz fight and was shocked at how bad he was boxing wise. However, it doesn't really matter because as soon as he lands with the right hand the fight has changed.

This is what makes him so unique, he has abnormal power and doesn't need to be that good a boxer to win fights. Fury is unlikely to beat him because he's not a big puncher so it comes down to landing that big right. I've little doubt he'll land it at some point across the 12 rounds especially against a Fury who is unlikely to be near his best. 

Wilder will struggle when he eventually meets a good boxer who is very heavy handed or a good boxer with a granite chin. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think reading Lennox Lewis today, he is calling the fight properly.

The longer it goes it will favour Fury, the shorter the fight then the more likely that the Brit has succumbed to Wilder’s much greater power.

Fury could knock him out but it doesn't seem likely, Wilder isn't likely to fade to the point where he'll trouble him, therefore a win for Fury will almost certainly be points. 

Wilder just has to catch over 12 rounds and I think Fury is very catchable, especially having been out of the game. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Fury could knock him out but it doesn't seem likely, Wilder isn't likely to fade to the point where he'll trouble him, therefore a win for Fury will almost certainly be points. 

Wilder just has to catch over 12 rounds and I think Fury is very catchable, especially having been out of the game. 

I think that’s exactly what Lennox Lewis saying.

2 minutes ago, chuffer said:

I wasnt sure if i could be harrised staying up till 5 to watch this...but im a bit intrigued....i think fury brings that to a bout

He does of course. Ringwalks are guaranteed no earlier than 5am (a nice touch by BT), think I'll be getting up! 

Edited by Maximus Decimus

Fury v Wilder press conference descends into a farcical shirts-off pushy-shovey. This isn't news, this happens every final press conference. Grow up you muppets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/46380483

They square up to each other then they start playing around then the coaches push one of them and it's chaos again, FFS, can we not have a world title fight without these childish scenes? If it's not at the press conference, it's at the weigh-in. Save it for the ring. Too much injested testosterone if you ask me

6 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Fury v Wilder press conference descends into a farcical shirts-off pushy-shovey. This isn't news, this happens every final press conference. Grow up you muppets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/46380483

They square up to each other then they start playing around then the coaches push one of them and it's chaos again, FFS, can we not have a world title fight without these childish scenes? If it's not at the press conference, it's at the weigh-in. Save it for the ring. Too much injested testosterone if you ask me

It's completely fake, they'll no doubt hug after the fight. Sadly, I suspect it is because it works in generating publicity and this fight needs it. I mentioned a few weeks ago about how there is an element of pro-wrestling to these often. We all know deep down that there isn't real beef but we like to pretend that there is because it adds to the event. 

I do think Fury gets under his skin at these conferences because he says things Wilder doesn't like to hear and probably finds embarrassing like how he has an inflated record and nobody knows who he is in America.

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

Am really looking forward to this and hope Fury does him.  Like everyone else says likely to be on points if anything.

Doubt I’ll have the stomach for getting up before 5 though....

As I said, BT have confirmed it's 5am at the earliest. I think I can do that, better then getting up at half 3 just in case and waiting till near 6 sometimes. 

8 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

As I said, BT have confirmed it's 5am at the earliest. I think I can do that, better then getting up at half 3 just in case and waiting till near 6 sometimes. 

Gonna be a lot of filling in then from 11-30 ! They need talkative guests

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Gonna be a lot of filling in then from 11-30 ! They need talkative guests

There's that part of me that doesn't trust them so I'll probably get up at 4 anyway. 

Either that or watch on repeat, I can't seem to find a schedule for when it'll be repeated though. 

Absolute rubbish that you can’t just order this through your sky box ( as I’ve just found ) . Have to register on BT etc and pay online .... but can’t record it . In this day n age that’s rubbish . I take it they want folk to watch 

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Absolute rubbish that you can’t just order this through your sky box ( as I’ve just found ) . Have to register on BT etc and pay online .... but can’t record it . In this day n age that’s rubbish . I take it they want folk to watch 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/How-to/BT-Sport-Box-Office-Deontay-Wilder-vs-Tyson-Fury/ba-p/2921199

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ah, I see mate, looks like you’re snookered unfortunately

It does . I’ve got nowt to do with  BT so it just seemed a bit convoluted . Shame they couldn’t come to some sort of agreement with sky 

59 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Oh that's ######.  What happens to me is:

I go to bed and say ooooh, I'll get up at 4:45 to watch boxing.

My alarm goes off at 4:45 and I go ###### THAT IT'S BLOODY LOVELY IN HERE!!!!

I admire those with more motivation than me, but I know my weaknesses and this is one of them.

Edited by Tonka

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

I admire those with more motivation than me, but I know my weaknesses and this is one of them.

That's why I'd like to know when the first repeat is. If it was 8am I might just get it and wait until then.

On 11/28/2018 at 9:48 AM, DavidM said:

I can’t think of any basic technique he has . It’s actually quite laughable at times watching him even in his stance throwing punches . He swings from the fences and In the Ortiz fight he got exposed . He’s very very wild ,  but up to press he hasn’t needed anything else . He’s reached this level on phenomenal power , not any kind of boxing . But it’s freakish power and it overcomes anything else . Or has ...

He reminds me of the transwoman athlete that was fighting in MMA. She was able to dominate everybody until she came up against somebody who was technically much better than she was. 

Sadly, I'm not sure there's anybody in heavyweight boxing who has the skill gap combined with the power to make Wilder pay. Ortiz was schooling him but couldn't keep him away for 12 rounds. 

Joshua is of course the best bet, but then it's a case of who gets caught first I reckon. 

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ortiz was very unlucky I thought against Wilder as he had him really hurt at one stage.

It was a pity it came at the end of the round though and the Cuban couldnt capitalise on it before the bell.

Wilder showed heart, recovered and stopped Ortiz within two or three rounds.

He certainly got a bit of help from the ref! Wilder is definitely capable of getting knocked out, although maybe not by Fury.

Joshua aside, I think Povetkin could cause him problems as he can hit and is a boxer. Even someone like Price could beat Wilder if he got there first. Wilder benefits from the fact that few top heavyweights are big hitters. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 2:19 PM, Tonka said:

That's exactly why im better staying up, get a few bevvies in and make a night of it...as ive found previously with early scheduled boxing or rugby league games, with all the best intentions/will in the world, when the alarm goes off at 5am, your brain says "no way, pal - this is the weekend" 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, chuffer said:

That's exactly why im better staying up, get a few bevvies in and make a night of it...as ive found previously with early scheduled boxing or rugby league games, with all the best intentions/will in the world, when the alarm goes off at 5am, your brain says "no way, pal - this is the weekend" 

Ive also been there with a room full of people and half have fallen asleep on the sofa while the other half are like Zombies. It's made all the worse if it's later than scheduled, Pacquiao Mayweather wasn't over till after 6.

There's no good way, it's literally the worst time.

50 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Ive also been there with a room full of people and half have fallen asleep on the sofa while the other half are like Zombies. It's made all the worse if it's later than scheduled, Pacquiao Mayweather wasn't over till after 6.

There's no good way, it's literally the worst time.

I remember being locked in the MEN by 10pm on the night of the Hatton v Kostya  Tszyu fight only for it to be 3.30am by the time to fight started. We were desperately trying to avoid nodding off with a pretty naff undercard.