Interesting observation from Lennox Lewis on the BT Sport analysis panel after the result was delared:

"The fight promoter picks the judges."

Professional boxing has never been legitimate. The fight promoters often manipulate who is allowed to win long before an event takes place. Always been like that,and probably always will.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Bell went early

It did! Extraordinary.....

30 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Did he say the "F" word then? :blink:

Yep, and nobody batted an eyelid.

28 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Getting a bit bored with the "God bless" stuff he keeps coming out with.

Rising from the dead like Lazarus had religious undertones!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The result no one predicted.

Ahem...if I may be so bold...

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

It's gonna be very close if it goes to the judge's scorecards by the sound of it.

Boxing controversy by any chance?

Admittedly, I waited a bit before my prediction.

:whistle:

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Well well well . Obviously I’m gonna have to try and see it to judge myself but by definition draws are always contentious .  I see showtime had it 115-111 for Tyson and he won the fight stats . So was it robbery guys ?

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well well well . Obviously I’m gonna have to try and see it to judge myself but by definition draws are always contentious .  I see showtime had it 115-111 for Tyson and he won the fight stats . So was it robbery guys ?

Dunno about robbery....but its difficult to see how any of the judges could score  wilder ahead or equal to fury on points when fury was so dominant for the majority of the rounds....i think you could only give wilder maybe 2-3 rounds to coincide with when he caught fury and he went down....but i guess the fact that fury went down (and looked unlikely to ever really put wilder down) has additional weight in itself

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Wilder seems to work on the complex game plan of if I swing often enough I’ll hit something . 

Aye gassed himself out doing so though...a couple of times he looked like he had nothing in the tank and fury should have gone for jugular at those points

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Wilder seems to work on the complex game plan of if I swing often enough I’ll hit something . 

It's worked in something like 39 fights out of 41.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

57 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Aye gassed himself out doing so though...a couple of times he looked like he had nothing in the tank and fury should have gone for jugular at those points

He's done that a few times and the opposition has come in smelling blood and walked straight into the right.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

9 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It's worked in something like 39 fights out of 41.  

Aye , ‘tis true . But before last night he’d fought 39 bums , fatties and second raters and Ortiz . Two decent guys have exposed him as a slugger , and if it’s working you think what else do I need ? But every now n again at elite level you need much more in terms of skill to actually accumulate rounds . He doesn’t have the skill set to do it . He is thoroughly one dimensional and shouts down a mic that what he has is all he needs . There’s always someone out there who’ll expose that in a puncher . I just finished that fight and I have him the rounds he scored the knock downs and thought he was incredibly bad 

I like Fury and at first felt he was robbed but having slept on it the two knock downs did even up the fight in the non-purist sense.  Wilder has serious limitations; I have no idea how Fury got up from those shots. Joshua wouldn’t be too scared by what he saw last night I don’t think. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

The way boxing is judged, he was robbed in that he clearly won way more rounds than Fury. As others have said, the two knockdowns (especially the last) certainly even it up from a moral sense; other refs might've stopped the fight.

It was a great fight no doubt and Fury achieved the miracle comeback. I thought it was more likely he'd be knocked out in 1 than win the fight.

The rematch is genuinely intriguing too. You'd have to presume it will be a sharper Fury but now Wilder knows he can get him and that will likely change the dynamic too. Wilder was exposed boxing wise but he again demonstrated that his power can be enough on its own.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

I like Fury and at first felt he was robbed but having slept on it the two knock downs did even up the fight in the non-purist sense.  Wilder has serious limitations; I have no idea how Fury got up from those shots. Joshua wouldn’t be too scared by what he saw last night I don’t think. 

I think a back to strength Fury would be a nightmare for AJ.

I also haven't changed my opinion on Wilder-AJ, if anything I've moved more towards Wilder a bit. He'd find it easier to catch AJ; it's still a case of who catches who first I reckon and I think he would go for it quicker. AJ can be a bit cautious. 

Yeah I find AJ wooden and he doesn’t jab anywhere near enough.  It’s very subjective though, I could just see Joshua advancing on Wilder and Fury and not being stopped. But it might not work out that way. Am pleased I backed Fury to win last night. 

It will be interesting to see how Fury fares in the BBC SPOTY rankings later this month.

In terms of personality alone, he probably has more in his little finger than the vast majority of other sportsmen and women, and his achievement on Saturday night was quite extraordinary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

It will be interesting to see how Fury fares in the BBC SPOTY rankings later this month.

In terms of personality alone, he probably has more in his little finger than the vast majority of other sportsmen and women, and his achievement on Saturday night was quite extraordinary.

It’s the BBC Martyn so probably not very well . 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

It’s the BBC Martyn so probably not very well . 

He is also hardly controversy free...  

7 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

He is also hardly controversy free...  

Indeed . I followed that show when I was younger but it just got wrapped up in this BBC box ticking , PC , diversity thing which diluted it and it seems to encapsulate   sports they cover as well as that . I know it’s got a lot of blow back and there’s been people there you’ve literally never heard of . How Big Josh didn’t win last year was bizarre 

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

Does that make him less of a personality?

It makes it a more difficult sell and increased potential for blow back or a further controversy.  

Much like who is used as a cover star on a magazine, for example.

• Like 1

He’s in from 100-1 to 4-1 anyway . I’ll say one thing , his interview after the fight and piece on mental illness was serious , heartfelt and outstanding . Say what you want , what he’s emerged and fought  through , came back to and achieved on Saturday is pretty unbelievable . His mental strength and belief are obviously superhuman . Just a shame one useless , blind ,or worse , judge spoiled one of the greatest sports stories literally ever

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Say what you want , what he’s emerged and fought  through , came back to and achieved on Saturday is pretty unbelievable . 

I say he's a drug cheat riding the wave of a fixed fight in a corrupt sport.

I'll put a quid on him to win SPOTY cos we all love someone who compares gays to paedophiles to own the libs.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)