9 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Like I said... he’s controversial.

The debate between Pepsi and Coca Cola is controversial.

A juiced up religious nutter getting a profitable-for-all-concerned draw is ... 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I say he's a drug cheat riding the wave of a fixed fight in a corrupt sport.

I'll put a quid on him to win SPOTY cos we all love someone who compares gays to paedophiles to own the libs.

That's a level of cynicism that is a tad excessive, I would suggest.

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It makes it a more difficult sell and increased potential for blow back or a further controversy.  

Much like who is used as a cover star on a magazine, for example.

Does the BBC 'sell' the SPOTY awards?

I thought they simply reported and acted upon the vote.

5 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Does the BBC 'sell' the SPOTY awards?

In the sense that they create the event, sell tickets for the event, decide which prizes will be awarded, create the prize juries, draft the prize shortlists, run the votes, programme and man the event, record segments for the event, promote the event on their global platforms ... nah, they just check who got the highest percentage of positive phone calls.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

That's a level of cynicism that is a tad excessive, I would suggest.

In boxing I don't think it's possible to be cynical enough.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

In the sense that they create the event, sell tickets for the event, decide which prizes will be awarded, create the prize juries, draft the prize shortlists, run the votes, programme and man the event, record segments for the event, promote the event on their global platforms ... nah, they just check who got the highest percentage of positive phone calls.

They do sell it in that sense, but that's before we know who the winner is. On the night of the event itself I suppose they just do as you suggest in your last sentence.

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

They do sell it in that sense, but that's before we know who the winner is. On the night of the event itself I suppose they just do as you suggest in your last sentence.

Even then though it's put forward as a ghastly multicultural experience in a hangar in Birmingham celebration of British community spirit.

A Speakers Corner preacher yelling about the coming of Christ being signalled by the legalising of abortion would make Sue Barker's hair stand on end.

I've always been curious: does the sports personality award mean you have to have "more personality" or is it just about sporting achievement (the fact they are a "personality" just being slightly unfortunate nomenclature for the fact they are famous because through sport)?

Because if you have to be good at sport and have a big personality, it's a totally mad award if you think about it... 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH.

Not too different to this forum, then?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Hopefully it’ll wait till after the rematch . It’ll be huge

If it ever happens! Of course in the immediate aftermath both fighters will say they want the rematch. When the dust settles however, both might move away from it. Fury is already claiming Wilder won't want a rematch. You can understand why, Fury is likely to be better again and he found him very hard to hit - one round he hit him with 3% of punches thrown. He's got what he wanted out of it, a much improved profile and might now decide Joshua is the better option; time to properly cash out with potential to unify. 

That said, Fury might not fancy it now he's fully tasted his power. 

I'm sure if it doesn't happen both will be adept at making out like it is the other fighter ducking them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I say he's a drug cheat riding the wave of a fixed fight in a corrupt sport.

I'll put a quid on him to win SPOTY cos we all love someone who compares gays to paedophiles to own the libs.

Fixed? It was fixed against him! Unless you're suggesting they allowed Wilder to miss for 11 rounds before almost knocking him out cold as part of the plan. 

Since his mental health issues, people have just ignored his prior comments. I doubt very much his opinions have changed much though. 

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Fixed? It was fixed against him! Unless you're suggesting they allowed Wilder to miss for 11 rounds before almost knocking him out cold as part of the plan. 

Since his mental health issues, people have just ignored his prior comments. I doubt very much his opinions have changed much though. 

Fixed ... no, I don't think it was all set up before the fight (because, as you say, what transpired didn't follow a 'plan') but rather like judge's scores on Strictly, I'm sure all concerned knew what to do by the end to get a profitable result.

He clearly still does believe in his personal religious viewpoint because that came through from his post fight interviews that I heard the morning after.

9 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

If it ever happens! Of course in the immediate aftermath both fighters will say they want the rematch. When the dust settles however, both might move away from it. Fury is already claiming Wilder won't want a rematch. You can understand why, Fury is likely to be better again and he found him very hard to hit - one round he hit him with 3% of punches thrown. He's got what he wanted out of it, a much improved profile and might now decide Joshua is the better option; time to properly cash out with potential to unify. 

That said, Fury might not fancy it now he's fully tasted his power. 

I'm sure if it doesn't happen both will be adept at making out like it is the other fighter ducking them. 

This is a genuine Q: Wilder obviously has options if he doesn't fight Fury ... but what's open for Fury?

Surely a rematch, even if it's not Wilder's next fight, is in the monetary interests of both.

36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This is a genuine Q: Wilder obviously has options if he doesn't fight Fury ... but what's open for Fury?

Surely a rematch, even if it's not Wilder's next fight, is in the monetary interests of both.

It is definitely in both their interests. At this immediate time, I think Wilder has more to gain from fighting AJ next. He'd make just as much if not more money and potentially become undisputed champ. He'd only be fighting Fury for pride (and money) as people think he lost and was exposed a bit. 

To me it makes sense to go for AJ which is possibly a less risky fight for more reward and then Fury again. 

21 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Hearn is flying to LA to talk , again , to wilders team . He rarely seems to mention Josh and Tyson though . Surely that would be even bigger here , more so now

AJ wants to be undisputed so Wilder is the priority. If they play silly beggars again and don't fight Fury in a rematch, I'm sure they'll consider it.

Fury's wife slipped up a bit by suggesting that if AJ had fought Wilder first and lost it would have ruined the domestic mega fight of AJ-Fury. 

It’s interesting what happens with Big Josh now . This fight has moved him in to the shadow a little bit . If the rematch goes ahead it’s the only show in town for the spring and a Josh v White or whoever is decidedly second rate . Fast Eddie won’t like that so I can see saturdays fight accelerating talks with Wilder for April . If I had to guess I’d say that’s favourite . They don’t want to be the odd one out here , and to Warren to . They’ll pull out all the stops to get the unification bout done and push fury out 

Edited by DavidM

the fact that my joke was deleted from this thread makes me worry about the namby pamby pc times that we now live in- I wont say it again but it went along the lines of being from a certain community and the irony of being robbed , is this forum really so left wing and pathetic? am shocked to say the least

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile