8 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I believe it was a split decision when Parker beat Ruiz and Parker himself reckons Ruiz is a very smart fighter.

Whatever happens now, Ruiz's victory over Joshua has opened up the heavyweight division.

There's no doubt that he was underestimated prior to the Joshua fight. In the lead up to the fight there were a number of experts saying Ruiz was better than they were making out, none more so than Freddie Roach. Usyk though is currently ranked 4th in the pound for pound rankings though, he is like a bigger Lomachenko.

One of the more interesting interviews I saw in the days after AJ lost was with Andre Ward. He said that when he decided to retire he was seriously considering a 3-fight deal where he would have fought a tune up fight, a big-name British fighter (almost certainly Bellew) before going up to heavyweight and fighting AJ. He claims that he'd seen something that he felt he could expose.

Ruiz has turned the division on its head, but whether it is in a good way or not is hard to see. If he beats AJ again then he adds to the list of big name fighters and we could actually see an undisputed HW fight; if AJ rights the wrong without too much trouble, then he has just ensured that the mega-fights with Wilder and Fury will never be as big as they could've been. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Can’t believe people are seemingly underestimating Usyk.

He is a class act. The issues at HW are not whether he is capable but whether the size and power will make a difference.

Bellew had some success against him for 3/4 rounds, if that was Wilder or AJ he might have been knocked out by then. Fury is probably just too big for Usyk but he's a welcome addition and willing to fight anywhere.

31 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

He is a class act. The issues at HW are not whether he is capable but whether the size and power will make a difference.

Bellew had some success against him for 3/4 rounds, if that was Wilder or AJ he might have been knocked out by then. Fury is probably just too big for Usyk but he's a welcome addition and willing to fight anywhere.

Probably comparable to Haye . Around 15 stone and excellent boxing ability holding his own until he meets a really big heavyweight . Well matched he could win a title but not against wilder fury or josh 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2019 at 11:51, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm not sure that anyone other than Fury will outbox Ruiz.

He showed against Joshua that he's a very skilful fighter with very fast hands, while he also has a great chin.

Anyone underestimating him will pay the same price as Joshua.

If he gets taken beyond 10 rounds though I suspect he'll has out. 

Usyk is one of the fittest fighters out there and would test him

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If he gets taken beyond 10 rounds though I suspect he'll has out. 

Usyk is one of the fittest fighters out there and would test him

I think Usyk would beat anyone who is a moderately sized heavyweight, but against Fury in particular he would be up against it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-48788768/boxing-beard-ban-not-fair-says-cardiff-university-student

I was reading/watching the above and wondering to myself, why do Wales ban boxers from taking part if they have a beard?

I'm just guessing that it might be things such as:

- Having a beard maybe makes it harder for a judge to see if there's been any contact - because visually it's harder to see, but also the sound maybe is cushioned too.

- Having a beard offers some extra padding and protection to the boxer. If you try an uppercut and there's a load of beard in the way, it might reduce the impact of the punch.

Presumably Welsh beards aren't any different to English beards, so why is it ok in England but not in Wales? Are the boxing authorities in Wales wrong to ban beards, or are the boxing authorities in England wrong to allow them?

Also, is he right to assert that he's being banned from boxing because of his faith, or is that a false accusation. If a non-sikh in Wales grew a beard the same as his, would they not also be banned from boxing? In other words, is it his faith that's the problem, or his beard?

I don’t agree with boxers having beards generally . I’m talking big bushy beards that would just never be allowed before . Not only is it a bit extra padding it can be rubbed all over the opponents face 

The ‘B’ group of British heavyweights are in action in the next couple of weeks on BT and Sky:

Dillian Whyte; Daniel Dubois; Joe Joyce; Nathan Gormley; Derek Chisora; Dave Allen and David Price.

Anyone see the possibility of someone from this list really emerging from that pack?

If I had to stick my neck out it would be Dubois. 

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The ‘B’ group of British heavyweights are in action in the next couple of weeks on BT and Sky:

Dillian Whyte; Daniel Dubois; Joe Joyce; Nathan Gormley; Derek Chisora; Dave Allen and David Price.

Anyone see the possibility of someone from this list really emerging from that pack?

If I had to stick my neck out it would be Dubois. 

I’d say Dillian has well n truly emerged way ahead of that pack . His record is exemplary , he’s already beat a recent world champion . He’s been quite disgracefully frozen out and the sanctioning bodies are most complicit in not supporting their own rankings he’s earned his position in . I’m to be convinced  by Dubois who has been well protected by Warren , and although Joyce is powerful he looks somewhat stiff and amateurish still at times although I applaud the way they’re fast tracking him and he comes across really well . You can’t help but like Dave Allen and his fight with Price should be entertaining for a short while 

Edited by DavidM

Just now, DavidM said:

I’d say Dillian has well n truly emerged way ahead of that pack . His record is exemplary , he’s already beat a recent world champion . He’s been quite disgracefully frozen out and the sanctioning bodies are most complicit in not supporting their own rankings he’s earned his position in . I’m to be convinced  by Dubois who has been well protected by Warren , and although Joyce is powerful he looks somewhat stiff and amateurish still at times although I applaud the way they’re fast tracking him and he comes across really well 

Yes, Whyte has beaten Parker although I feel having watched the fight that he was lucky towards the end to hang on.  I think had Parker launched those big attacks a round earlier then he would have stopped Whyte.  

Take away that fight and his best performance is a win over an ageing Chisora.  For me that’s not enough to say you’re an international ‘A’ list fighter in heavyweight terms.

I believe he has struggled to manage his career to get the bigger fights after his successful post-Joshua rebuild for which he should blame Hearn.

14 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, Whyte has beaten Parker although I feel having watched the fight that he was lucky towards the end to hang on.  I think had Parker launched those big attacks a round earlier then he would have stopped Whyte.  

Take away that fight and his best performance is a win over an ageing Chisora.  For me that’s not enough to say you’re an international ‘A’ list fighter in heavyweight terms.

I believe he has struggled to manage his career to get the bigger fights after his successful post-Joshua rebuild for which he should blame Hearn.

Or himself.

Had he took the AJ fight and been the person to do what Ruiz did, he might find himself in a much much better position than he is.

He is also not Hearn's fault that the WBC are playing with him. He recently showed a text where Wilder stated that he'd freeze him out for 2 years. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I don’t agree with boxers having beards generally . I’m talking big bushy beards that would just never be allowed before . Not only is it a bit extra padding it can be rubbed all over the opponents face 

If it was an advantage, surely fighters would have one as routine? There must be a reason they don't generally.

19 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Or himself.

Had he took the AJ fight and been the person to do what Ruiz did, he might find himself in a much much better position than he is.

He is also not Hearn's fault that the WBC are playing with him. He recently showed a text where Wilder stated that he'd freeze him out for 2 years. 

How is he even allowed to do that ? Dillian has been WBC 1 for 600 days !! Yet they’ve never insisted he’s a mandatory challenger. Really shameful and obviously they pander to Wilder and are ignoring their own rankings when it suits them 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting night of boxing last night.

Joe Joyce won a points victory but failed to impress against Bryant Jennings. There was no dispute that he won, but it happened purely due to work rate. The better shots all came from Jennings, he was just out muscled by someone two stone heavier than him.

Dubois on the other hand was impressive against Gorman. It was a decent fight and at certain points they were really exchanging. Dubois always looked the more likely and like he could hurt Gorman. 

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Interesting night of boxing last night.

Joe Joyce won a points victory but failed to impress against Bryant Jennings. There was no dispute that he won, but it happened purely due to work rate. The better shots all came from Jennings, he was just out muscled by someone two stone heavier than him.

Dubois on the other hand was impressive against Gorman. It was a decent fight and at certain points they were really exchanging. Dubois always looked the more likely and like he could hurt Gorman. 

It was a measured finish by Dubois who looks a real prospect.

Comes across as pretty level headed too.

Unfortunately ‘talking’ in boxing is usually seen as a big part of the game, but I find Dubois’ personality almost refreshing at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It was a measured finish by Dubois who looks a real prospect.

Comes across as pretty level headed too.

Unfortunately ‘talking’ in boxing is usually seen as a big part of the game, but I find Dubois’ personality almost refreshing at the moment.

Agreed. In contrast, Joyce's attempts at showboating were quite frankly embarrassing. 

• Like 1

I just don’t know about big Joe . They have to fast track him at his age but he still seems somewhat amateurish and robotic . No doubting his workrate and his bludgeoning aggression , but he lacks fluidity in his upper body and head movement , and he tends to push out his shots . Jennings had the smarts there but didn’t force the issue . The blueprint for Joe to get out boxed though is clear . I like him though I wish him well .

Dubois is a powerful fighter . Has the physique and is developing the skill set . Plenty of time for him . He needs to improve his communication and PR which Warren is working on , he’s a quiet kid , but he’s very sellable . I’d like to see him fight the Price Allen winner 

Dillian Whyte fails a drug test?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Seems likely this morning. If so, it makes him a massive hypocrite. 

Yup, but that's nothing new in boxing!  Or doping!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yup, but that's nothing new in boxing!  Or doping!

Don't get me wrong, if you're secretly on PEDs you have to talk the talk about drugs being wrong.

Accusing others, for instance where you post a video of 'the drugs don't work' after AJs win, is more than the required level of hypocrisy!