This morning, I trained in a boxing club in Prague. It is an unusual, but very good, way of meeting locals. Though, you do have to make do without understanding Czech. 

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Sergei Kovalev vs Anthony Yarde live on BT Sport with coverage from Russia starting at 5pm this Saturday night.

Could be a great one this and it is non PPV too.

Kovalev is reported to be looking ahead to a fight with Canelo after this so there’s talk of over confidence there and poor preparations.

No doubt this is a big step up in class for Yarde, but the bookies appear to make this a fairly even fight.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Sergei Kovalev vs Anthony Yarde live on BT Sport with coverage from Russia starting at 5pm this Saturday night.

Could be a great one this and it is non PPV too.

Kovalev is reported to be looking ahead to a fight with Canelo after this so there’s talk of over confidence there and poor preparations.

No doubt this is a big step up in class for Yarde, but the bookies appear to make this a fairly even fight.

Looking forward to this . I first saw Kovalev when he assaulted , not just beat , Cleverley , to the point that the Welshman couldn’t go down fast enough just to get out of the way . I wouldn’t say he’s at his peak anymore but he’s a formidable opponent . And of course at home he’ll start five rounds up , so it’s a big ask for Yarde . On the flip side Kovalev has had off nights and can be out boxed , but he’s come forward and workrate so I think it’s a huge ask for Yarde . Frank Warren thinks Kovalev is there to be taken , we’ll see . My prediction  is Kovalev on points or late stoppage 

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

What was he doing in the 9th ? He had him gone , totally out on his feet . Even staggering out for the start of the 9th ... and bar slamming his own heart did nothing. Chance gone 

Great fight but you're bob on, Yarde just never capitalised. He looked determined to not just win but to almost try and truly defeat Kovalev in the 9th by walking him down and walking through his shots.

All it did was allow Kovalev to get his legs back and far from walking though the shots, Yarde got hurt.

Apparently his trainer doesn't believe in sparring. I'm no boxer but that just seems bizarre.

So the P4P King is in town this weekend . Amazing CV Loma has built up , and has made top fighters quit as they’re getting so embarrassed . Obviously Campbell has close to zero chance but kudos for having a go . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

So the P4P King is in town this weekend . Amazing CV Loma has built up , and has made top fighters quit as they’re getting so embarrassed . Obviously Campbell has close to zero chance but kudos for having a go . 

Yes, it’s not easy to see Campbell winning this one - peck and flee will be the tactic I presume.

Loma seems the perfect combination of speed, skill and power so it’s hard not to see him eventually catching up with Campbell.

The undercard is quite decent so I’ll be buying this PPV.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 17:48, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, it’s not easy to see Campbell winning this one - peck and flee will be the tactic I presume.

Loma seems the perfect combination of speed, skill and power so it’s hard not to see him eventually catching up with Campbell.

The undercard is quite decent so I’ll be buying this PPV.

Bit disappointed with the main fight even though it was decent enough.

I'm a big fan of Loma and although Campbell was British I was hoping for a vintage Loma performance but it wasn't that by any stretch. 

Campbell did really well and was really in the fight; I thought the scorecards were harsh. Andre Ward was willing him to go for it but he definitely lost the Championship rounds with the knockdown ending his hopes.

Campbell's ringcraft and also being a southpaw negated Loma's highlight-reel moments. Dare I say it as well, but I don't think he's been quite the same since his shoulder reconstruction. 

• 4 weeks later...

Learn nothing from that . 19 fights 19 wins ? What a joke . You know I’ve thought for some time that it maybe time to scrap the commonwealth title . Not only is it a bit of an anachronism but the standard has dipped alarmingly in recent times . A lot of the fighters who turn up here from various places in Africa , or even Australia etc literally look like they’ve never laced on a pair of gloves . You’ve never heard of them and all they do is get wiped out in a mismatch . There’s so many other ways of working up rankings through the sanctioning bodies now 

• 2 weeks later...

Triple G looking very vulnerable now . I wouldn’t be shouting about Canelo if I were him . Fast Eddie can come up with all the excuses he likes but the signs have been there in recent fights . That guy who’s name Mat Macklin couldn’t say gave him fits there 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Wow , Errol Spence is in a bad way after this 

Not sure he only doing 30...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Read this on the BBC website:

"Oleksandr Usyk won his first fight at heavyweight after stopping Chazz Witherspoon in round seven in Chicago.

It means Ukrainian Usyk, 32, remains the WBO’s mandatory challenger to the winner of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight-title rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr."

How the hell can someone who hasn’t fought at heavyweight be mandatory challenger for the heavyweight title?

41 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Read this on the BBC website:

"Oleksandr Usyk won his first fight at heavyweight after stopping Chazz Witherspoon in round seven in Chicago.

It means Ukrainian Usyk, 32, remains the WBO’s mandatory challenger to the winner of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight-title rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr."

How the hell can someone who hasn’t fought at heavyweight be mandatory challenger for the heavyweight title?

Boxing moves in mysterious ways.

20 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yeah - I've seen a few of Kirkland Laing's fights too.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Constantly . There was a world title defence for Bivol on that bill , and you need to pick a challenger in the top 15 ... well the guy he picked wasn’t , until the WBA ‘ reworked ‘ rankings came out a couple of days later and guess what ... the challenger was suddenly 15 with the WBA . And that is exceedingly common 

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Interesting card tonight with at least three fights I wouldn’t like to call including Selby vs Burns, Price vs Chisora and Regis vs Taylor.

Should be a decent mix of boxing skill, power and heart there.

In fact I think Price vs Chisora is more interesting than the originally planned fight for Del Boy.

Well Del Boy can win this one , Price has been a complete enigma , totally fragile and lacking mentally . Parker would have had to much for him over 12 and outpointed him . Total usual sales pitch rubbish on sky saying its a harder fight . Taylor is a good fighter , and he’s talking very confident indeed but I’ve seen a few Prograis fights and he’s very very capable . It’ll tell Taylor where he is and winning tis will make him a real breakout world star

40 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well Del Boy can win this one , Price has been a complete enigma , totally fragile and lacking mentally . Parker would have had to much for him over 12 and outpointed him . Total usual sales pitch rubbish on sky saying its a harder fight . Taylor is a good fighter , and he’s talking very confident indeed but I’ve seen a few Prograis fights and he’s very very capable . It’ll tell Taylor where he is and winning tis will make him a real breakout world star

Parker though not easy on the eye with his uber defensive approach that has cost him in the past.

I think whatever Price’s fragilities, he is technically a better boxer than Chisora and he dealt with Dave Allen very confidently last time out.

I’m not sure it’s a harder fight, but it’s got much more interest from me tbh.

Oh indeed it’s a more interesting and probably  more competitive fight . I actually think Parker is underrated . Yes he should have done more against Big Josh and got a bit of a complex with the refereeing , but he only woke up late against White and had him on toast at the end . He’s been told about being more aggressive so if he takes that on board he’ll be an even bigger force as he’s got good skills stamina and chin . His Ruiz win looks great now ! I’d like to see him fight Usyk I think that would be if not explosive then intriguing 

43 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Oh indeed it’s a more interesting and probably  more competitive fight . I actually think Parker is underrated . Yes he should have done more against Big Josh and got a bit of a complex with the refereeing , but he only woke up late against White and had him on toast at the end . He’s been told about being more aggressive so if he takes that on board he’ll be an even bigger force as he’s got good skills stamina and chin . His Ruiz win looks great now ! I’d like to see him fight Usyk I think that would be if not explosive then intriguing 

Yes, the Dillian Whyte fight is the one that springs to mind.

Showed Whyte too much respect and ran out of time to finish him at the end.

I reckon Parker is still in the mix in an intriguing heavyweight scene though.