3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

How does Chisora get any credit now? I remember him fighting Fury when both were undefeated. 9 defeats for Chisora now and Fury? He'll be undefeated in WWE too 

To be fair he put away his last opponent in good style recently, but I would agree his road back to the biggest fights is going to be a long one.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
Not Povetkin!

Prograis v Taylor was an unbelievably good scrap . Five rounds was a disgrace , that guy should join the long list of refs who don’t get world title gigs .I thought Prograis started well , Taylor showed immense grit to come back and nudge ahead then Prograis came back and I had it a draw . Either way it was a top class fight 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2019 at 09:21, Boomer Bang Wool said:

Anyone here keep up with Australian boxing? 

I'm not too familiar aside from ex-RL players. Talking of which, I see Hopoate got a beating at the weekend and looked dreadful. Suppose he is 45.

In the biggest fight of the year, KSI beat Logan Paul in a controversial decision. I've only seen the highlights but it seems to boil down to a situation where KSI was knocked down but as he was going down Paul hit him again. He got 1 point for the knock down but deducted 2 for hitting him.

Billy-Jo Saunders escaped a possible upset defeat with an 11th round KO. I loved his analysis after the fight, 'Listen I'm not one to make excuses, I came over here five days ill, 9 hours difference, not slept in weeks...'

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I was being sarcastic lol.

Yeh I guessed as much after the first few words ! I tried to to read the report but gave up after the first sentence of ‘ with YouTube status at stake ... ‘

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

You mean the biggest meaningless overhyped boxing nonevent and PPV joke 

Probably, but at the same time will of probably out rated (money, viewers, etc) any other fight this year?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Probably, but at the same time will of probably out rated (money, viewers, etc) any other fight this year?

Aye , don’t know for sure but Fast Eddie and the broadcasters gave it large and neither are in it as a charity . The vast numbers who follow guys like this were big dollar signs for the organisers . 

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Aye , don’t know for sure but Fast Eddie and the broadcasters gave it large and neither are in it as a charity . The vast numbers who follow guys like this were big dollar signs for the organisers . 

Hang on, wasn't Eddie one of the more recent crop of RL "messiahs" who we were told would make our sport credible and rich if we just handed him control of the entire sport?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Hang on, wasn't Eddie one of the more recent crop of RL "messiahs" who we were told would make our sport credible and rich if we just handed him control of the entire sport?

Indeed . Without the credible bit maybe 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone watch Wilder-Ortiz? Say what you like about his boxing skills, it is true what he says: you have to be perfect for 36 minutes to beat him. It's a real shame because if he was handled better he'd be a real asset to the HW division and boxing. That said Fury-Wilder 2 should be huge.

We're one week out from AJ-Ruiz 2, which is a genuinely intriguing fight. What are people's thoughts on the outcome? Was it a lucky punch, is he AJs bogeyman or is it somewhere in between?

25 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Anyone watch Wilder-Ortiz? Say what you like about his boxing skills, it is true what he says: you have to be perfect for 36 minutes to beat him. It's a real shame because if he was handled better he'd be a real asset to the HW division and boxing. That said Fury-Wilder 2 should be huge.

We're one week out from AJ-Ruiz 2, which is a genuinely intriguing fight. What are people's thoughts on the outcome? Was it a lucky punch, is he AJs bogeyman or is it somewhere in between?

Saw both Wilder-Ortiz fighters and it hasn’t changed my impression of Wilder as a poorly skilled boxer with incredible power in his right hand.

As for Joshua-Ruiz, it seemed to me that Ruiz caught him around the temple region when Joshua went in for the kill in New York and this left Joshua dazed for the rest of the fight.

I would expect Joshua to win as he should be fully prepared and more cautious this time around.  A word about the atmosphere too in Saudi Arabia which I expect to be less than raucous.

I always dissed Wilder for having very poor basics , barely even enough to win a round... but I’ve come to the conclusion it doesn’t matter , and he’s not bothered about winning rounds . He has an absolute hammer and it’s all he needs . The more I think of the Tyson fight the more amazing it appears - coming off a huge lay off in which he had massive mental n physical issues , a couple of public spars as comebacks , then schooling wilder and walking it until the last ... and getting up from that wipe out punch . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I always dissed Wilder for having very poor basics , barely even enough to win a round... but I’ve come to the conclusion it doesn’t matter , and he’s not bothered about winning rounds . He has an absolute hammer and it’s all he needs . The more I think of the Tyson fight the more amazing it appears - coming off a huge lay off in which he had massive mental n physical issues , a couple of public spars as comebacks , then schooling wilder and walking it until the last ... and getting up from that wipe out punch . 

I've come to this conclusion too. He doesn't need to box because there is almost nobody who can survive the 12 rounds with him.

Although it was only a 60% Fury, he was lucky to survive and many refs would have stopped it. The rematch is a 50/50 because there's no guarantee that Fury will be able to stay away for the 12 rounds.

I now think he'd probably beat AJ because AJ is catchable and doesn't have an amazing chin; he's also more cautious. I don't think Wilder would spend much time sizing him up and would go in for the kill early.

The big question mark over Wilder is his chin: he's never really been tested. He got outboxed for 6 rounds against Ortiz because he was cautious. This was quite a long time and another boxer with decent skills might catch him properly and not give him chance to reply. This could be someone like Ruiz. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus

On 30/11/2019 at 19:08, Maximus Decimus said:

I've come to this conclusion too. He doesn't need to box because there is almost nobody who can survive the 12 rounds with him.

Although it was only a 60% Fury, he was lucky to survive and many refs would have stopped it. The rematch is a 50/50 because there's no guarantee that Fury will be able to stay away for the 12 rounds.

I now think he'd probably beat AJ because AJ is catchable and doesn't have an amazing chin; he's also more cautious. I don't think Wilder would spend much time sizing him up and would go in for the kill early.

The big question mark over Wilder is his chin: he's never really been tested. He got outboxed for 6 rounds against Ortiz because he was cautious. This was quite a long time and another boxer with decent skills might catch him properly and not give him chance to reply. This could be someone like Ruiz. 

Did you see the first Wilder-Ortiz fight?  The big Cuban had him plenty of trouble at one point and was unlucky that his breakthrough came late in a round, denying him the full opportunity to exploit his opening.  

I have collated the verdicts I’ve read from fighters, ex fighters, trainers and respected journalists in the build up to Ruiz-Joshua fight:

Colin Hart (journalist): Joshua - if he uses his jab

Dominic Ingle: Joshua - but only on points

Don Charles (ex Chisora trainer): Joshua - If he can nullify Ruiz’s style

Frank Warren: Ruiz - thinks the location means Hearn is already cashing in on AJ

Martin Bowers (Dubois’ trainer): Ruiz - too quick, good movement and smaller

Joe Joyce: Joshua - will be better prepared this time

Peter Fury: Ruiz - but only after some scary moments

Hughie Fury: Ruiz - by stoppage if he has the same hunger

Dave Coldwell: Joshua - if he fights a disciplined ‘boring’ fight

Nick Webb (13-2 Heavyweight): Joshua - he’ll be motivated by revenge

Johnny Nelson: Joshua - needs to box like he did against Parker and keep it long

Scott Welch (ex British champ): Joshua - must get rid of Ruiz before the late rounds

Dom Negus (ex Heavyweight): Ruiz - has got his number albeit expects a great fight 

Tony Bellew: Joshua - by brutal knockout after learning from previous mistakes

Ricky Hatton: Joshua - to beat up Ruiz from distance and stop him in the final third

Nathan Gorman: Ruiz - stoppage in the mid rounds due to his fighting style

Brian Lawrence (ex trainer of Akinwande): Joshua - a hard fight expected but should win by a stoppage

Sean O’Hagan (trainer of Josh Warrington): Ruiz - has more movement than AJ and is like a little tank

Glenn McCrory: Joshua - will stick to the jab, chipping away until Ruiz falls apart 

Kerry Kayes (Cuts man): Joshua - to win a very boring fight using height and reach

John Conteh: Ruiz - wins on points in a very hard, hard fight

Dereck Chisora: Joshua - will make Ruiz eat the jab and then stop him later on

Jim McDonnell (trainer of Danny Williams): Joshua - must match Ruiz’s work rate and look to win every round

Dillian Whyte: Joshua - needs to dominate from the first round

John McDermott (ex English champion) Ruiz - to come forward as AJ will be a little gun shy after last time

Mark Tibbs (trainer of Dillian Whyte) Joshua - he has to stop him as the longer it goes it favours Ruiz

Al “Ice” Cole (ex Cruiserweight): Ruiz - his speed is his skill and we don’t know what AJ’s head is like

Daniel Dubois: Joshua - he will be well prepared and will win by knockout

Gerry Cooney (WBC title challenger): Ruiz - has jumped up 30% in confidence so it’ll be hard for AJ

Gareth A. Davies (Telegraph journalist): Joshua - it’s a 50/50 fight now, but Joshua will be more cautious

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Did you see the first Wilder-Ortiz fight?  The big Cuban had him plenty of trouble at one point and was unlucky that his breakthrough came late in a round, denying him the full opportunity to exploit his opening.  

Yeh this is sort of what I mean. Ortiz is a decent fighter but is old and he did raise the question of Wilder's chin. 

Whilst Wilder could knock anybody out, I think he could struggle if up against a talented boxer with heavyish hands. I don't think this is AJ who would be very catchable, but it could be Ruiz if he wins the rematch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I have collated the verdicts I’ve read from fighters, ex fighters, trainers and respected journalists in the build up to Ruiz-Joshua fight:

Colin Hart (journalist): Joshua - if he uses his jab

Dominic Ingle: Joshua - but only on points

Don Charles (ex Chisora trainer): Joshua - If he can nullify Ruiz’s style

Frank Warren: Ruiz - thinks the location means Hearn is already cashing in on AJ

Martin Bowers (Dubois’ trainer): Ruiz - too quick, good movement and smaller

Joe Joyce: Joshua - will be better prepared this time

Peter Fury: Ruiz - but only after some scary moments

Hughie Fury: Ruiz - by stoppage if he has the same hunger

Dave Coldwell: Joshua - if he fights a disciplined ‘boring’ fight

Nick Webb (13-2 Heavyweight): Joshua - he’ll be motivated by revenge

Johnny Nelson: Joshua - needs to box like he did against Parker and keep it long

Scott Welch (ex British champ): Joshua - must get rid of Ruiz before the late rounds

Dom Negus (ex Heavyweight): Ruiz - has got his number albeit expects a great fight 

Tony Bellew: Joshua - by brutal knockout after learning from previous mistakes

Ricky Hatton: Joshua - to beat up Ruiz from distance and stop him in the final third

Nathan Gorman: Ruiz - stoppage in the mid rounds due to his fighting style

Brian Lawrence (ex trainer of Akinwande): Joshua - a hard fight expected but should win by a stoppage

Sean O’Hagan (trainer of Josh Warrington): Ruiz - has more movement than AJ and is like a little tank

Glenn McCrory: Joshua - will stick to the jab, chipping away until Ruiz falls apart 

Kerry Kayes (Cuts man): Joshua - to win a very boring fight using height and reach

John Conteh: Ruiz - wins on points in a very hard, hard fight

Dereck Chisora: Joshua - will make Ruiz eat the jab and then stop him later on

Jim McDonnell (trainer of Danny Williams): Joshua - must match Ruiz’s work rate and look to win every round

Dillian Whyte: Joshua - needs to dominate from the first round

John McDermott (ex English champion) Ruiz - to come forward as AJ will be a little gun shy after last time

Mark Tibbs (trainer of Dillian Whyte) Joshua - he has to stop him as the longer it goes it favours Ruiz

Al “Ice” Cole (ex Cruiserweight): Ruiz - his speed is his skill and we don’t know what AJ’s head is like

Daniel Dubois: Joshua - he will be well prepared and will win by knockout

Gerry Cooney (WBC title challenger): Ruiz - has jumped up 30% in confidence so it’ll be hard for AJ

Gareth A. Davies (Telegraph journalist): Joshua - it’s a 50/50 fight now, but Joshua will be more cautious

Thanks for this, I think it's a very interesting fight and we'll really have no idea until Saturday. It will answer those unanswered questions from the first fight: most namely whether the original was due to a complacent or off-colour AJ who got caught and never recovered, or whether Ruiz is a bogeyman who has AJ's number.

I think too much has been made of Ruiz's power, like it's just a matter of time before he knocks out AJ if the fight goes on. Ruiz has a knockout percentage of around 65% and failed to KO Kevin Johnson just last year who had been KO'd in his previous fight by a Croatian in only his tenth fight - AJ knocked him out in 2. I'm not saying he can't hit, he clearly can, but enough fighters have been able to nullify him and go the distance.

I presume this is what AJ will try to do and will use his natural advantages to try and create a boring fight much like AJ-Parker. I don't think Ruiz will be as cautious as Parker though and knows he can hurt him so will go for it.

• Like 1

Well well , what a difference . Big Josh is 10 pounds lighter and Big Big Andy is 15 pounds heavier ... over 20 stone . Now I know it was deceptive but he looked fat last time , so I’m not sure what his thinking is there . Josh being lighter is totally expected