Round 3: Ended with a flurry of more aggressive punching. Still inconclusive, though, as both fighters landed a few.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

###### get in.

Made up for AJ, he's an even bigger star for the comeback. Find it very hard to imagine Hearn giving him another fight! 

AJ did what he had to do and boxed beautifully. Ruiz was always dangerous but couldn't get close enough. He seems to have a rock solid chin which made it very hard for AJ to do anything but box clever.

So in hindsight, has it answered anything about the first fight?

I'd say it just showed that AJ couldn't trade with Ruiz and lost because he tried to. It hasn't made it a fluke or meant that AJ was underprepared, Ruiz always looked dangerous and AJ completely changed as a result.

I'd still like to see Ruiz-Wilder, think he'd give him real problems.

Predictable . Smart from Josh , clever boxing and I thought a polished performance . I like this style and it shows he’s adaptable ... Ruiz was a total disgrace . Amazingly fat , could hardly be bothered to train and got what  he deserved . Obviously satisfied with his five minutes of fame 

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Predictable . Smart from Josh , clever boxing and I thought a polished performance . I like this style and it shows he’s adaptable ... Ruiz was a total disgrace . Amazingly fat , could hardly be bothered to train and got what  he deserved . Obviously satisfied with his five minutes of fame 

I'm flabbergasted that he was so lax, it demonstrates either a complete lack of discipline or disrespect for AJ.

If I was Hearn and AJ I'd stay away from the rematch: winning wouldn't enhance his reputation and he'd spend another 12 rounds under constant threat of being KO'd.

It was galling to listen to Ruiz talk about making mistakes in his preparation and putting on too much weight. He was basically saying give him another chance and a 3rd fight and he'll try much harder and you will see a different fighter. Hearn's face said it all when he was asked about a 3rd fight. It's not going to happen. There is nothing in it for AJ going back there and everything to lose.

46 minutes ago, Damien said:

It was galling to listen to Ruiz talk about making mistakes in his preparation and putting on too much weight. He was basically saying give him another chance and a 3rd fight and he'll try much harder and you will see a different fighter. Hearn's face said it all when he was asked about a 3rd fight. It's not going to happen. There is nothing in it for AJ going back there and everything to lose.

Did you see the face on his trainer though? Said it all .  Saying he wants a third fight and I’ll train honest I  will , sounded ridiculous 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Just now, DavidM said:

Did you see the face on his trainer though? Said it all .  Saying he wants a third fight and I’ll train honest I will sounded ridiculous 

Its annoying when you've shelled out £25 to watch a fight and then one fighter doesn't give himself a chance. As much as anything Hearn will know once bitten twice shy when it comes to fans and the money will not be there for a third fight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm flabbergasted that he was so lax, it demonstrates either a complete lack of discipline or disrespect for AJ.

If I was Hearn and AJ I'd stay away from the rematch: winning wouldn't enhance his reputation and he'd spend another 12 rounds under constant threat of being KO'd.

I find myself a little unsure.

I know very little of the professional game, so I ask your opinion. I did think AJ got the titles a little early and still had to improve. I actually thought a loss might be the best thing, as being champion seemed to lead to him stagnating. To be honest, he seems to have gone backwards a little. I used to think those (Americans) who saw Wilder as the far better boxer were nuts, I am not so sure now.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I would say Joshua is technically superior to Wilder as a boxer as is Tyson Fury.

Even in victory, Deontay Wilder has been largely been outboxed when in with top ten opponents, but he probably carries the heaviest punch in boxing.

The big question is probably over who is more durable out of Joshua or Wilder?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I find myself a little unsure.

I know very little of the professional game, so I ask your opinion. I did think AJ got the titles a little early and still had to improve. I actually thought a loss might be the best thing, as being champion seemed to lead to him stagnating. To be honest, he seems to have gone backwards a little. I used to think those (Americans) who saw Wilder as the far better boxer were nuts, I am not so sure now.

AJ is easily a better boxer than Wilder, he just has the great leveller that is his right hand.

I think he probably beats AJ because his chin isn't great and it's not like he's as evasive as Fury.

He has changed but I'm not sure he's got worse, he's just more cautious. He likes to go in for the kill but has been caught out doing this a few too many times. This would be his undoing against Wilder who I think would try to get him out early.

That said, unless he retires, I feel Wilder's Ruiz moment is just a matter of time.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Its annoying when you've shelled out £25 to watch a fight and then one fighter doesn't give himself a chance.

Good point . Be nice of him to tell us he could hardly be ar$ed rather than all the snake oil salesman stuff . He should get some money took off and refunded to us . 25 quid is a total disgrace anyway , pure greed 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Ruiz looked like he'd been living off the fat of the land. He performed as if he hadn't envisaged a fight different in nature from the first contest, despite his pronouncements in the run up to the fight about  how he expected Joshua would box and how he was ready tactically.

• 3 weeks later...

Wilder Vs Fury II is on.  22nd of Feb.  Hopefully it will tee up a big fight for Joshua later in the year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

23 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Wilder Vs Fury II is on.  22nd of Feb.  Hopefully it will tee up a big fight for Joshua later in the year.  

Can the boxer Fury avoid being hit for 12 rounds ? Can the puncher Wilder land the killer shot . Bigger ask for Fury I’d say , but then I gave him no price last time 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can the boxer Fury avoid being hit for 12 rounds ? Can the puncher Wilder land the killer shot . Bigger ask for Fury I’d say , but then I gave him no price last time 

I had a cheeky bet on Wilder in 1.

If you'd asked me the day of the first fight I'd have said that Fury would be heavy favourite in a rematch as he was only 60% at the time.

However, Wilder has just continued knocking guys spark out and he knows he can hurt Fury. Also, he let the occasion get to him and might be more patient this time.

Dare I say it but Fury might need to be more aggressive this time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I had a cheeky bet on Wilder in 1.

If you'd asked me the day of the first fight I'd have said that Fury would be heavy favourite in a rematch as he was only 60% at the time.

However, Wilder has just continued knocking guys spark out and he knows he can hurt Fury. Also, he let the occasion get to him and might be more patient this time.

Dare I say it but Fury might need to be more aggressive this time.

I agree.

Well written.

I have no doubt a commited Fury would still win, despite Wilder having done enough to be taken seriously. A ring rusty Fury was always more likely to be caught as stamina failed and the fight got to the later rounds. That said, I do not see much evidence we are looking at a commited Fury.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

36 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I agree.

Well written.

I have no doubt a commited Fury would still win, despite Wilder having done enough to be taken seriously. A ring rusty Fury was always more likely to be caught as stamina failed and the fight got to the later rounds. That said, I do not see much evidence we are looking at a commited Fury.

What makes you say this? He still seems in decent enough shape.

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

What makes you say this? He still seems in decent enough shape.

Just the WWE stuff. No great insight.