1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Any sympathy I had for Deontay Wilder has quickly diminished. The guy has no class. 

So much for his no excuses, he's blamed his 18kg outfit that he walked out in for his loss. He's also claimed Fury's punches didn't hurt and that he shouldn't have been pulled out, repeating his statements about wanting a body in the ring and being willing to give up his body if necessary. 

Compare that to Anthony Joshua's comments after the Ruiz fight and how he's still not revealed what went wrong. 

He should have a brain scan if he believes all that . What a load of old cods . Just man up and say you took a beating , you get more respect . And if he was never hurt by Tyson then someone was whacking him round the ring making him stagger all over the place . That excuse just rips him of all credibility . If I were his team I would be wary of going into the rematch  , but in reality he has to because he can’t move on until he at least tries to exorcise that display . But honestly I can’t see him turning it round at all , it was such a hammering . And in two fights he’s not got to grips with Tyson at all 

12 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Any sympathy I had for Deontay Wilder has quickly diminished. The guy has no class. 

So much for his no excuses, he's blamed his 18kg outfit that he walked out in for his loss. He's also claimed Fury's punches didn't hurt and that he shouldn't have been pulled out, repeating his statements about wanting a body in the ring and being willing to give up his body if necessary. 

Compare that to Anthony Joshua's comments after the Ruiz fight and how he's still not revealed what went wrong. 

If the suit made that big a difference, then credit to Fury for being carried in! (credit to my mate who pointed that out)

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Perhaps it might be a good idea to get Tyson and some of his family to a Rugby League game. Interview him before the game starts on his boxing career and his opinions on the game about to happen and interview again after the game and ask his opinion on it. It would be great publicity for Rugby League.

On 24/02/2020 at 22:42, Maximus Decimus said:

In hindsight, he should have taken the second AJ fight.

He's been treated appallingly by Wilder and the WBC, but like you say there isn't going to be much chance now for a long time. His best bet would probably be Fury beating AJ and then retiring. The breakup of the belts would give him a shot.

The problem is that he'll have to keep on winning to get his shot and that's far from guaranteed. 

I think both sides are equally to blame for this. Eddie Hearn is using White as a pawn in an attempt to get control over the one belt he doesn’t have. That’s the main reason he wasn’t getting a shot at Wilder. Other promoters are scared of being frozen out. 

• Like 1

On 29/02/2020 at 12:51, bobbruce said:

I think both sides are equally to blame for this. Eddie Hearn is using White as a pawn in an attempt to get control over the one belt he doesn’t have. That’s the main reason he wasn’t getting a shot at Wilder. Other promoters are scared of being frozen out. 

I wouldn't say he's using him as a pawn, he just realises that AJ is by far his bigger cash cow. Whyte should have had a shot at the WBC by now but he has been treated horrendously by them.

When Hearn couldn't get the Wilder fight, he was quite desperate for an opponent at one point and Whyte was looking to be the favourite but he didn't like the offer he was given. In hindsight, that was a poor move: Andy Ruiz could have been Whyte.

The fear of promoter monopoly is one of the main reasons I bet Wilder wants an instant rematch. Once he's out the loop, people will be reluctant to give him a shot purely because of his right hand and may I add because he played so many games when he was champ.

Edited by Maximus Decimus

Daylight robbery that Whyte v Povetkin is PPV . it’s a good fight but this is getting ridiculous . PPV used to be , should be for super fights , now it is getting so diluted , and fans who already shell out for Sky are having to pay twice for anything decent now . Just ain’t right , pure unadulterated greed and we’re the cash cow 

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

Daylight robbery that Whyte v Povetkin is PPV . it’s a good fight but this is getting ridiculous . PPV used to be , should be for super fights , now it is getting so diluted , and fans who already shell out for Sky are having to pay twice for anything decent now . Just ain’t right , pure unadulterated greed and we’re the cash cow 

Yes I agree, in fact I’m going to swerve it altogether unless the undercard is brilliant and instead get Dubois-Joyce.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2020 at 06:38, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes I agree, in fact I’m going to swerve it altogether unless the undercard is brilliant and instead get Dubois-Joyce.

Neither should be PPV to be honest and I'll probably go looking for streams.

There's been a positive development IMO with the news that DAZN are moving into the UK. It's a sport subscription service that's trying to be the Netflix of sports: it's quite big in other areas. It's starting out at 4.99 a month and will have a lot of the American content to start with where they have a big deal with Eddie Hearn. 

It's going to start with Canelo-BJS but next year the Matchroom-Sky contract is up and my money is on DAZN to get the Hearn fights.

56 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Neither should be PPV to be honest and I'll probably go looking for streams.

There's been a positive development IMO with the news that DAZN are moving into the UK. It's a sport subscription service that's trying to be the Netflix of sports: it's quite big in other areas. It's starting out at 4.99 a month and will have a lot of the American content to start with where they have a big deal with Eddie Hearn. 

It's going to start with Canelo-BJS but next year the Matchroom-Sky contract is up and my money is on DAZN to get the Hearn fights.

I read about this earlier in the week in the Athletic, but I’m not sure it’s a healthy development for boxing as it further fragments the audience.

In their opinion, the contract would be split where Sky would still get Hearn fights, but just not all of them.

That means in order to watch legitimately (and support the sport), you will need access to Sky, BT and DAZN in Britain so it just increases the cost for the viewer.

In the same discussion, it was reported that Fury vs Wilder II PPV sales were disappointing and reflected the vast amount of ‘streaming’ that went on which brings into question whether PPV is the right vehicle for guaranteed income for big fights.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I read about this earlier in the week in the Athletic, but I’m not sure it’s a healthy development for boxing as it further fragments the audience.

In their opinion, the contract would be split where Sky would still get Hearn fights, but just not all of them.

That means in order to watch legitimately (and support the sport), you will need access to Sky, BT and DAZN in Britain so it just increases the cost for the viewer.

In the same discussion, it was reported that Fury vs Wilder II PPV sales were disappointing and reflected the vast amount of ‘streaming’ that went on which brings into question whether PPV is the right vehicle for guaranteed income for big fights.

I suppose it depends how big DAZN become outside of boxing. If they can nab a few different rights packages alongside the boxing then they could start to become a big player in the market.

As someone who currently has no subscription to any sports package, I don't mind PPV as it allows me to watch big fights. However, the US model is horrendous and the frequency of PPVs over here is only driving people to illegal streaming.

Personally, I wouldnt mind paying 5-10 quid a month to get a guaranteed picture and not have to get up at 5am to watch it! 

• 1 month later...

Just give him some world titles, he deserves it for these videos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 14/04/2020 at 12:55, Bedford Roughyed said:

Just give him some world titles, he deserves it for these videos!

He seems like one of the more genuine boxers I must say.

With all the drama that has followed the Tyson Fury story, there has been talk of turning it into a hollywood film and there is certainly a great story there. Massive underdog dethrones the 12 year champion only to go off the rails, put on 10 stone, almost commit suicide before coming back and doing it all again. It makes Rocky sound realistic!

The only problem (and it is a huge problem) is who would play him? You not only have the problem of his size and boxing ability to try and replicate you also have his big personality and the fact that he's a northern-English traveller. I genuinely can't see how they could find an actor who would do him properly and not come across like a caricature.

Whereas the Andy Ruiz story would be easy. In fact, if this isolation goes on for too much longer I might be able to put my hat in the ring.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2020 at 16:30, Maximus Decimus said:

He seems like one of the more genuine boxers I must say.

With all the drama that has followed the Tyson Fury story, there has been talk of turning it into a hollywood film and there is certainly a great story there. Massive underdog dethrones the 12 year champion only to go off the rails, put on 10 stone, almost commit suicide before coming back and doing it all again. It makes Rocky sound realistic!

The only problem (and it is a huge problem) is who would play him? You not only have the problem of his size and boxing ability to try and replicate you also have his big personality and the fact that he's a northern-English traveller. I genuinely can't see how they could find an actor who would do him properly and not come across like a caricature.

Whereas the Andy Ruiz story would be easy. In fact, if this isolation goes on for too much longer I might be able to put my hat in the ring.

Adam fogarty.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silverback said:

caught up with a few old fights this week,dident realise just how good chris eubank was.pure class.

In contrast, I was watching Brian Sutherland.

• Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 1 month later...

Interesting who helped set up the potential Fury Vs AJ fights...

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I'm not a boxing fan, but when Pointless asked for the Cuban boxer who won 3 straight Olympic Golds, I had to youtube search the Great Teófilo Stevenson, 2pts btw.

In my opinion he would have battered Ali had they met.

Edited by Bleep1673

26 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

For modern eyes, the refereeing of the bouts will seem a little shocking from the perspective of punishment.

Mild, when you see what happened when Jack Dempsey fought Jess Willard.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/06/2020 at 14:16, Mumby Magic said:

Any more Russian or Eastern Europeans on the scene in the Heavyweight division at the moment. They kept the division going in the past.

Povetkin is still knocking about and always has exciting fights to watch.

At the more youthful end the excellent Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk has made the step up from Cruiserweight and will be a World Champion one day. He's a brilliant fighter.

Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev is one of Joshua's mandatory fights. 

I'm sure there are some others going around. Some top fighters in the lighter weights such as GGG and Lomachenko.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Povetkin is still knocking about and always has exciting fights to watch.

At the more youthful end the excellent Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk has made the step up from Cruiserweight and will be a World Champion one day. He's a brilliant fighter.

Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev is one of Joshua's mandatory fights. 

I'm sure there are some others going around. Some top fighters in the lighter weights such as GGG and Lomachenko.

I like Murat Gassiev . He lost to Usyk but he’s a good fighter 

• Like 2