1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Boxing back on BT Sport tonight - no big names just a few prospects from Frank Warren’s stable.

First bout only lasted a round.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yep that was a typically competitive Frank undercard fight

Isn't he one of the myriad potential messiahs for Rugby League?

Or was that some other boxing spiv?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, DavidM said:

Or Fast Eddie , but I wouldn’t trust either of them 

Oh, I knew it was one of them, but couldn't tell the difference without searching through eight thousand TRL threads on the same subject to find out.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Dillian Whyte vs Aleksander Povetkin tonight

Also Katie Taylor in a rematch of her closest win in the ring so far (many thought she’d lost the contest).

I’ve actually enjoyed hearing the corners talking in the return of boxing so far.

I think Whyte should beat Povetkin all things being even and based on very recent performances.

But the Russian is still dangerous and it worries me that Whyte is looking past him and fights down the road...always a bad thing to do at the elite level.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Also Katie Taylor in a rematch of her closest win in the ring so far (many thought she’d lost the contest).

I’ve actually enjoyed hearing the corners talking in the return of boxing so far.

I think Whyte should beat Povetkin all things being even and based on very recent performances.

But the Russian is still dangerous and it worries me that Whyte is looking past him and fights down the road...always a bad thing to do at the elite level.

First time in a while I’m not buying this . I just don’t think this warrants being a PPV bill , and generally through greed PPV is becoming to diluted . And with folk cash strapped and many paying for not much for months I don’t think it’s a good look that you get something to watch and they make you pay for it again . With it being in a garden as well I can’t see this doing good business 

Edited by DavidM

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

First time in a while I’m not buying this . I just don’t think this warrants being a PPV bill , and generally through greed PPV is becoming to diluted . And with folk cash strapped and many paying for not much for months I don’t think it’s a good look that you get something to watch and they make you pay for it again . With it being in a garden as well I can’t see this doing good business 

Given there’s no paying crowds I don’t see what choice they’ve got in this instance but to start putting on some PPVs.

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Given there’s no paying crowds I don’t see what choice they’ve got in this instance but to start putting on some PPVs.

Do what many have to do and take less money . Some boxers will and some hold to the original contracts . Times are massively different 

23 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Do what many have to do and take less money . Some boxers will and some hold to the original contracts . Times are massively different 

I think they already know they’re going to make less money as it is. 

I don’t think we’re going to see a return to the days of fewer PPVs anytime soon.  In fact there’s talk of a subscription model on top of Sky for DAZN for the premium fighters.

These guys and girls are putting their lives on the line every time they step in the ring so I have no qualms with them trying to maximise their earnings.

It’s not a blockbuster PPV by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve seen worse cards tbf.

Aussie TV is bigging up the Jeff Horn v Tim Tszyu fight, which could be a good 'un. Anyone showing it over here?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Aussie TV is bigging up the Jeff Horn v Tim Tszyu fight, which could be a good 'un. Anyone showing it over here?

Don’t think so . It’s been picked up for USTV which is a good platform , especially for Tszyu . American boxing fans love following a family connection 

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Battle of the left hooks

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Whyte was looking good for a nice win....

Then boom.  

(the KO is on twitter)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Whyte was looking good for a nice win....

Then boom.  

(the KO is on twitter)

I had money on Povetkin. Dillian was bossing it so much (he'd knocked him down twice in round 4) that Paddy Power weren't offering me any money to cash out. 

Totally out of the blue and gutted for him. At least he has a rematch clause. 

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I had money on Povetkin. Dillian was bossing it so much (he'd knocked him down twice in round 4) that Paddy Power weren't offering me any money to cash out. 

Totally out of the blue and gutted for him. At least he has a rematch clause. 

Here was my pre-fight bet last night:

198CC866-54F3-4AD6-85CF-2CB50D8301A4.jpeg

• Like 2

On 23/08/2020 at 08:39, Gerrumonside ref said:

Here was my pre-fight bet last night:

198CC866-54F3-4AD6-85CF-2CB50D8301A4.jpeg

I fluctuated between two bets, Whyte to win by KO and Povetkin to win. 

I thought Whyte would win but the odds weren't appealing. Whyte to win by KO was decent enough odds but then only AJ has actually knocked Povetkin out. I went for Povetkin to win because I felt that even though he is older, he was a much better boxer than anyone Whyte had faced; 4-1 seemed decent odds. As good a record as Whyte has, his chin is relatively suspect (he was saved by the bell against Parker) and his power has got him out of some situations where he was struggling - most notably Chisora 2.

At the end of round 4 I was proper kicking myself: Povetkin looked old and like he was missing by a mile and Whyte was in total control looking like he was on the verge of stopping him .

Ended up being my first ever boxing win!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fair to say that Covid has hit boxing more than most, and there has been a real dearth of big events. 

There was finally one last night, and it turned up a shock. Teofimo Lopez beat Lomachenko on points. Whilst the victory was relatively unexpected, Loma was 1-5, the manner was a complete shock. He dominated all but rounds 10 and 11. I'd said before the fight that I thought those odds were generous. 

The commentators were making a lot about Lomachenko 'downloading the data' in the early rounds but I didn't feel like this was happening. Lopez was much bigger, stronger and you couldn't see where Loma was going to get in. It was like Mayweather-Mcgregor for about 3 rounds, he only threw about 10 punches.

By round 7 it was obvious that this wasn't some grand plan. He did up his game and had some success around rounds 9-11 but even those he didn't dominate. Lopez always had the power to respond with if he turned it on. 

Personally, I never liked Loma at 135. He was still effective but he was nowhere near the same boxer as at the lower weight classes. Some boxers like Mayweather and Pacquiao moved up pretty easily, but Loma never seemed comfortable and nothing like as dominant.

This should propel Lopez to stardom and who knows where Loma goes from here. I can't imagine a rematch would be a good idea. 

We used to like calling judges in Europe and the US and feel all superior , but we have some of the worst most one -eyed judges around . The Ritson fight last night , he got completely owned by Vasquez . Total and complete robbery there . Just sad that way to often you get shafted of what you deserve by judges . Oh it’s subjective is the whitewash , but geez at times it’s way beyond that into ‘ what were you watching - were you watching , its  so clear ‘

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

We used to like calling judges in Europe and the US and feel all superior , but we have some of the worst most one -eyed judges around . The Ritson fight last night , he got completely owned by Vasquez . Total and complete robbery there . Just sad that way to often you get shafted of what you deserve by judges . Oh it’s subjective is the whitewash , but geez at times it’s way beyond that into ‘ what were you watching - were you watching , its  so clear ‘

I didn’t see the fight last night, but it’s hardly as if the judges can complain of being influenced by a home crowd either.

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I didn’t see the fight last night, but it’s hardly as if the judges can complain of being influenced by a home crowd either.

Have a look at the reaction , it’s hot and it’s gonna get hotter .... 

EE2E4CD0-40DC-4C78-8F33-ACA6DF9A63E1.jpeg.6f5ab821275354e2accce08c7c106548.jpeg

• Like 1