1 hour ago, DavidM said:

We used to like calling judges in Europe and the US and feel all superior , but we have some of the worst most one -eyed judges around . The Ritson fight last night , he got completely owned by Vasquez . Total and complete robbery there . Just sad that way to often you get shafted of what you deserve by judges . Oh it’s subjective is the whitewash , but geez at times it’s way beyond that into ‘ what were you watching - were you watching , its  so clear ‘

I think it's a hard one. I only caught the end of the Ritson fight, but it was equally odd how his corner told him at the 11th that he had it in the bag when Sky had him 8 rounds behind.

Sometimes I think commentators decide a fight is going one way early on, and then spend the rest of the fight seeing it through that prism. 

Likewise, last night, had Lopez beat some young unknown fighter I think all the scorecards would've been 118-110 or higher. Loma literally landed something like 30 punches in the first 6 rounds but the commentators were reluctant to say Lopez was up 6-0. It's like because Loma is so talented he must be doing something special even if he isn't throwing. 

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I think it's a hard one. I only caught the end of the Ritson fight, but it was equally odd how his corner told him at the 11th that he had it in the bag when Sky had him 8 rounds behind.

Sometimes I think commentators decide a fight is going one way early on, and then spend the rest of the fight seeing it through that prism. 

Likewise, last night, had Lopez beat some young unknown fighter I think all the scorecards would've been 118-110 or higher. Loma literally landed something like 30 punches in the first 6 rounds but the commentators were reluctant to say Lopez was up 6-0. It's like because Loma is so talented he must be doing something special even if he isn't throwing. 

That one wasn’t hard . Ritson is extremely limited technically and was thoroughly schooled . If a competent judge , which Terry  O’Connor isn’t , cant see a better boxer dominating with skills and subtlety he shouldn’t be there . This one is beyond subjectivity , it was just horrific incompetence and a disgrace really . A full investigation is under way which is very rare

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

We used to like calling judges in Europe and the US and feel all superior , but we have some of the worst most one -eyed judges around . The Ritson fight last night , he got completely owned by Vasquez . Total and complete robbery there . Just sad that way to often you get shafted of what you deserve by judges . Oh it’s subjective is the whitewash , but geez at times it’s way beyond that into ‘ what were you watching - were you watching , its  so clear ‘

Bad officials are nothing new in Europe - one of the most jaw-dropping things I've ever seen in boxing was Roger Tilleman's refereeing of the Sven Ottke v Robin Reid fight in 2003.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

46 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That one wasn’t hard . Ritson is extremely limited technically and was thoroughly schooled . If a competent judge , which Terry  O’Connor isn’t , cant see a better boxer dominating with skills and subtlety he shouldn’t be there . This one is beyond subjectivity , it was just horrific incompetence and a disgrace really . A full investigation is under way which is very rare

As I said, I didn't see it. I just found it odd how his corner told him in the 11th he had it in the bag, despite literally everyone else having him way behind.

I meant in general that judging is difficult and I think far too subjective. Surely by now they should have a relatively clear way of defining who wins a round. You shouldn't be able to have a personal preference for aggression, pressure or clean shots etc.

A good example of what I meant with the commentators was Haye vs Valuev. I remember early on they decided Haye wasn't doing enough, and then the whole fight both of the Sky team were going on about how he was losing due to inactivity. It was like they drew their conclusion and then found evidence to fit. However, Haye's corner were telling him he was winning, he won 116-112 on two scorecards in Germany (the other had a draw) and after the fight even Valuev agreed he'd lost.

I never liked Terry O'Connor as a ref either, you can just tell his type. 

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Bad officials are nothing new in Europe - one of the most jaw-dropping things I've ever seen in boxing was Roger Tilleman's refereeing of the Sven Ottke v Robin Reid fight in 2003.

There's one fight guaranteed to literally make your blood boil. He looked like he was trying to disqualify Reid for punching Ottke in the face.

Looked fiddled to me,Ritson were given a lesson in boxing,He were at least 6 rounds down,His corner were telling hime to take it easy at rounds 6/7 yet he were 5 down.I found it strange the corner telling him theres only one winner here tonight at round 9 too. Ask a panel  a boxers to watch the fight thru  again and Ritson gets 3 rounds  at the very best. Someones had a killing at bookies.

38 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Germany was notorious . I used to watch boxing on Eurosport from there and commentators would openly say that random away fighter has clearly won .... but won’t get it . ‘ They’re you go see you next time ‘ ...It was frustrating but funny as it was just a given ! We can’t call anyone now mind and it’s not as consistently bad in Germany ... less so Italy ! It’s always sad though that you think of the effort fighters put in - in camp for weeks and the sacrifices they make , then don’t get what they deserve . Teddy Atlas has exploded with some famous ( infamous ) rants on this during comms , including wanting one judge strung up if I remember rightly , but that’s Teddy

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Germany was notorious . I used to watch boxing on Eurosport from there and commentators would openly say that random away fighter has clearly won .... but won’t get it . ‘ They’re you go see you next time ‘ ...It was frustrating but funny as it was just a given ! We can’t call anyone now mind and it’s not as consistently bad in Germany ... less so Italy ! It’s always sad though that you think of the effort fighters put in - in camp for weeks and the sacrifices they make , then don’t get what they deserve . Teddy Atlas has exploded with some famous ( infamous ) rants on this during comms , including wanting one judge strung up if I remember rightly , but that’s Teddy

Like so much in boxing, it's an utter travesty. They literally put their lives on the line to sometimes have never had a chance in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Knock out of the year candidate last night from Tank Davis , nearly taking Santa Cruz’s head off with an uppercut . He’s a gobby often unpalatable guy but he walks the walk alright 

Yeh I saw the highlights, seemed like a good toe to toe fight. He's always been a talent but doesn't seem to have the right attitude, maybe that's starting to change.

Was also the Usyk-Chisora fight last night which went according to plan really. Usyk out boxed him to a unanimous victory but it was probably a bit closer than anticipated. He looks on track for a shot at AJ or Fury, and there are still big questions about him at this level. I'd be interested to see him what Fury would do, as Fury is literally never in against someone with better boxing skills than he is. Probably just use his size to bully him.

On that front Wilder broke his silence to come down firmly on the side of the idea that Fury tampered with his gloves. Not only has it not gone down well, in the process he also inadvertently confirmed that he turned down the AJ fight, thus contradicting his own prior claims that AJ was running scared. 

Hardly the same level, but I realise it is the best part of a year since I have sparred with anyone. I was bouncing around the gym and realising how I had lost what little sharpness I had, and I am no spring chicken who will regain it.

Bum.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up on the Brook v Crawford fight this weekend . A huge fight and a huge chance for Kell , although it’s a colossal ask for him . Unfortunately despite it being a big night for UK boxing,  and despite Kell being a Sky staple for many years , Sky ( Fast Eddie ) have cold shouldered it and it’s on Premier Sports . I don’t get this and I don’t think many do post-NRL days ... but it’s replayed on Freesports on Monday evening which is very good 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Just a heads up on the Brook v Crawford fight this weekend . A huge fight and a huge chance for Kell , although it’s a colossal ask for him . Unfortunately despite it being a big night for UK boxing,  and despite Kell being a Sky staple for many years , Sky ( Fast Eddie ) have cold shouldered it and it’s on Premier Sports . I don’t get this and I don’t think many do post-NRL days ... but it’s replayed on Freesports on Monday evening which is very good 

I don’t think Brook has a prayer, but am very disappointed that it’s on Premier.

Thanks for the heads up on the Freesports showing!

On 03/11/2020 at 21:41, Bob8 said:

Hardly the same level, but I realise it is the best part of a year since I have sparred with anyone. I was bouncing around the gym and realising how I had lost what little sharpness I had, and I am no spring chicken who will regain it.

Bum.

I have now sparred again.

I had forgetten how incredibly short my arms are.

• Like 3

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 13/11/2020 at 10:01, DavidM said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Real shame somebody else wouldn't pick up a fight of this magnitude. There must be something going on with the negotiations, because Loma vs Lopez was on a random platform too and in the context of world boxing that's a big fight. 

59 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Real shame somebody else wouldn't pick up a fight of this magnitude. There must be something going on with the negotiations, because Loma vs Lopez was on a random platform too and in the context of world boxing that's a big fight. 

Arum was talking recently about how mystified he was that these fights aren’t getting picked up by big networks when they used to be . He said he went to Sky and they said talk to Eddie , he holds the budget . Eddie has talked about viewing figures in the middle of the night etc . Either way it is odd 

On 13/11/2020 at 10:01, DavidM said:

He was doing alright ... until he got knocked out . The most interesting , bemusing and pretty sad aspect of the night was Maloney dedicating 5 months of his life away from his family and country to be shafted even after 30 minutes of video review . I like the idea but not if it’s gonna do the time honoured ‘ let’s back our mate ‘ .Boxing doesn’t help itself way to often . The comms were spot on , really awful but predictable .And in passing , it’s another poor night from Russell Mora who became infamous for missing about 20 low blows in one fight 

Edited by DavidM

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

He was doing alright ... until he got knocked out . The most interesting , bemusing and pretty sad aspect of the night was Maloney dedicating 5 months of his life away from his family and country to be shafted even after 30 minutes of video review . I like the idea but not if it’s gonna do the time honoured ‘ let’s back our mate ‘ .Boxing doesn’t help itself way to often . The comms were spot on , really awful but predictable .And in passing , it’s another poor night from Russell Mora who became infamous for missing about 20 low blows in one fight 

That was a shambles, But all they had to do was go to the secong the ref leaned over the rope and told the steward it were an accidental head clash, They messed about half an hour looking for the clash that dident happen but never put sound on to pick the moment out the ref said what he did, They could a then poiunted out he were wrong. A thumb now sewn into the glove will still hurt. Maloney took it well but hope he gets a rematch soon as poss.

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez confirmed to fight Callum Smith on the 19th December.

Smith will have to be at his best like when he swarmed all over and took out George Groves.

He’ll start as underdog for sure mainly due to Canelo’s record, his front foot pressuring style and Smith’s tendency to look less capable on the back foot.

Could be fight of the year if it really gets going.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez confirmed to fight Callum Smith on the 19th December.

Smith will have to be at his best like when he swarmed all over and took out George Groves.

He’ll start as underdog for sure mainly due to Canelo’s record, his front foot pressuring style and Smith’s tendency to look less capable on the back foot.

Could be fight of the year if it really gets going.

On DAZN I believe . I like Callum , he needs to use his size and reach and get Canelo going backwards . Canelo is aggressive , a bullying fighter ... get him on the end of a long jab and box him . Job done ....👍

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

On DAZN I believe . I like Callum , he needs to use his size and reach and get Canelo going backwards . Canelo is aggressive , a bullying fighter ... get him on the end of a long jab and box him . Job done ....👍

On DAZN UK? I thought Canelo was having all sorts of problems with his DAZN contract. 

11 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

On DAZN UK? I thought Canelo was having all sorts of problems with his DAZN contract. 

I believe so . It launches next month and although Canelo has declared himself a free agent he’s on DAZN for this . Personally I’d again think it would be a shame if this isn’t on tv , it’s a huge fight for British boxing 

• Like 1