15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m not overjoyed by DAZN entering the market tbh in the U.K. 

Feels like all their fights should be on Sky Boxing and Eddie Hearn is fleecing the loyal fans again.

I don’t mean to dampen anyone else’s enthusiasm of course.

Fair point mate , Fast Eddie has a contract with Sky ( which we pay for ) and is putting some of his stable out on DAZN ( which we pay for ) . But there’s plenty of other fights and promoters on there which I think make it good value for  the price and I think it’s only gonna grow 

Edited by DavidM

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Fair point mate , Fast Eddie has a contract with Sky ( which we pay for ) and is putting some of his stable out on DAZN ( which we pay for ) . But there’s plenty of other fights and promoters on there which I think make it good value for  the price and I think it’s only gonna grow 

I’m joined up anyway despite the rant - been wanting to see Callum Smith in a big fight for a long time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m joined up anyway despite the rant - been wanting to see Callum Smith in a big fight for a long time.

At the £1.99 level it's really a no-brainer. Only time will tell whether I stick with it when it goes up. If they were to get AJ then that might change.

I've been quite impressed with the actual app, and have it on my TV. I got up this morning, put on the GGG fight (who looked great I thought) and got on with my day. I'll do the same tomorrow with Canelo-Smith. Certainly preferable to trying to get up at the crack of dawn or remembering to set to record, with the possibility that it doesn't record properly.

Some decent stuff on there too, documentary and archive wise. 

4 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

At the £1.99 level it's really a no-brainer. Only time will tell whether I stick with it when it goes up. If they were to get AJ then that might change.

I've been quite impressed with the actual app, and have it on my TV. I got up this morning, put on the GGG fight (who looked great I thought) and got on with my day. I'll do the same tomorrow with Canelo-Smith. Certainly preferable to trying to get up at the crack of dawn or remembering to set to record, with the possibility that it doesn't record properly.

Some decent stuff on there too, documentary and archive wise. 

Yes i was wondering when the price would change . I have the app on my LG telly as well , and i was a bit worried theyd give the results away when i put it on today but they dont , and you can watch the whole show as live ( and  fast forward as desired ).  The production and commentary is very good . GGG was very impressive , although the opponent was pretty average so i wont go overboard thinking ahead to another superfight for him , and the Ryder fight was pretty awful !

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yes i was wondering when the price would change . I have the app on my LG telly as well , and i was a bit worried theyd give the results away when i put it on today but they dont , and you can watch the whole show as live ( and  fast forward as desired ).  The production and commentary is very good . GGG was very impressive , although the opponent was pretty average so i wont go overboard thinking ahead to another superfight for him , and the Ryder fight was pretty awful !

That's why I was glad they had the GGG fight on Friday, a good way to see if they give the result away. Unlike the people who run the NRL highlights, they aren't that stupid. 

Just got up to watch Canelo vs Smith who was totally outclassed. It's gonna be a really hard one for Smith to take, not only did he suffer his first loss easy but Canelo walked through everything he had without moving. The manner of the defeat was totally demoralising.

If there's one silver lining, hopefully Canelo-GGG 3 will happen next. 

45 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

That's why I was glad they had the GGG fight on Friday, a good way to see if they give the result away. Unlike the people who run the NRL highlights, they aren't that stupid. 

Just got up to watch Canelo vs Smith who was totally outclassed. It's gonna be a really hard one for Smith to take, not only did he suffer his first loss easy but Canelo walked through everything he had without moving. The manner of the defeat was totally demoralising.

If there's one silver lining, hopefully Canelo-GGG 3 will happen next. 

There’s some talk that Smith sustained a bicep injury early on which may explain why he was unable to get any real hurt in his shots.

Once Canelo realised he could just walk through his attacks it totally ceased to be a contest.

There’s no shame in losing to Canelo who in my mind is clearly the best P4P on the planet at the moment and his power, precision and elusiveness would have troubled anyone tonight.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There’s some talk that Smith sustained a bicep injury early on which may explain why he was unable to get any real hurt in his shots.

Once Canelo realised he could just walk through his attacks it totally ceased to be a contest.

There’s no shame in losing to Canelo who in my mind is clearly the best P4P on the planet at the moment and his power, precision and elusiveness would have troubled anyone tonight.

Oh I agree there's no shame, it's probably the most impressed I've been with Canelo.

Just thinking of Smith, not only is it his first loss, which will be hard to take, but he was utterly outclassed and Canelo made it look like he has no power. 

I remember seeing Hatton explaining the affect his first loss had on him, and how he honestly felt invincible before fighting Mayweather. It could be a hard reckoning for Smith. 

9 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Oh I agree there's no shame, it's probably the most impressed I've been with Canelo.

Just thinking of Smith, not only is it his first loss, which will be hard to take, but he was utterly outclassed and Canelo made it look like he has no power. 

I remember seeing Hatton explaining the affect his first loss had on him, and how he honestly felt invincible before fighting Mayweather. It could be a hard reckoning for Smith. 

Let’s hope not, anyway.

He’s got his brothers around him and I think that will keep him on the equilibrium as one of them of course has already had the experience of losing to Canelo.

I always felt Hatton was in a goldfish bowl in Manchester and didn’t want to let anyone down as a folk hero.  When he did start to lose it seemed to hit him very hard.

I think the DAZN commentary team were very harsh on Smith and naturally wanted to talk up Canelo.  If Smith had sustained an arm injury then going the distance with the best P4P in the world on four weeks notice is hardly a disgrace.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

20 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Let’s hope not, anyway.

He’s got his brothers around him and I think that will keep him on the equilibrium as one of them of course has already had the experience of losing to Canelo.

I always felt Hatton was in a goldfish bowl in Manchester and didn’t want to let anyone down as a folk hero.  When he did start to lose it seemed to hit him very hard.

I think the DAZN commentary team were very harsh on Smith and naturally wanted to talk up Canelo.  If Smith had sustained an arm injury then going the distance with the best P4P in the world on four weeks notice is hardly a disgrace.

There were some very harsh comments I thought. He was clearly trying and was throwing, but they made it look like he'd turned up for a payday. All that talk about not coming to win was absurd. 

He was missing a lot and not hurting Canelo even when he did hit him. It was hard to watch in parts because Canelo was just coming at him with no respect for what he was throwing.

I think Mayweather was a wake up call for Hatton but only a partial one, last I heard he was making out like the Pacquiao defeat was a fluke shot. 

• Like 1

Very disappointed in Callum tbh . He’s got a colossal size and reach advantage but it just looked like he was fighting Canelo the superstar name right from the outset . He didn’t really use his advantages and attributes like the jab to keep Canelo on the outside at all . Canelo can be outboxed, regardless of the ridiculously biased love in during the commentary , but Callum basically just let him swarm him and beat him up . Eventually he’s just trying to get to the end . I’m sure it’s damn hard , but you’ve got to have a go to drive him back and give him some back , even it only goes 6 rounds . 

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler Alert! 

Campbell vs Garcia tonight, and was a real good fight. Campbell dropped him heavily in the second round, and it looked like the young next big thing was going to be found out. 

Credit to him, he came back and stopped Campbell in the 7th with a wicked body shot. I'm feeling gutted though, I don't feel like Campbell went for it enough in the second round and let him off the hook a bit.

He might be a young superstar and being hyped as the next big thing, but I think he struggles against the top names around him like Lopez, Davis and Loma. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

listening to the commentators on the first 3 rounds of the Warrington fight last night you would have thought he was the best thing to get in a ring since Ali - laying on the compliments and buttering him up non stop and never giving Lara a chance. soundly beaten in the end though and if it had been the other way round the fight would have been stopped earlier

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

listening to the commentators on the first 3 rounds of the Warrington fight last night you would have thought he was the best thing to get in a ring since Ali - laying on the compliments and buttering him up non stop and never giving Lara a chance. soundly beaten in the end though and if it had been the other way round the fight would have been stopped earlier

I'm a bit gutted as I watched the first two rounds and thought I'd have a look at what they were offering for Lara. The odds had actually lengthened and they then had Warrington at 1-50! I came away convinced that I must know s**t about boxing as I thought Lara had caught him a couple of times and looked dangerous.

Should've trusted my own judgement.

There was a similar fight on DAZN last night, where the favoured Diaz was being dominated by a Russian prospect. He caught him with a huge shot in about the 6th which had the opposite effect as in the Warrington fight. It woke him up and he won most of the remaining rounds. The fight was a majority draw but I think Diaz probably nicked it. 

Must say, I'm starting to wonder whether this AJ-Fury fight is going to be so straight-forward. Fury looks to have gained quite a lot of weight, and is starting to make a point about inactive fighters losing because they were inactive. Something tells me it's going to fall through over a technicality and they'll use it to blame AJ.

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Must say, I'm starting to wonder whether this AJ-Fury fight is going to be so straight-forward. Fury looks to have gained quite a lot of weight, and is starting to make a point about inactive fighters losing because they were inactive. Something tells me it's going to fall through over a technicality and they'll use it to blame AJ.

He’s done this before , but he’s such a freak he seems to be able to get in shape to a set date . I’ve learned never to doubt him and I’m sure the fight will happen and he’ll outbox and probably stop Big Josh 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

He’s done this before , but he’s such a freak he seems to be able to get in shape to a set date . I’ve learned never to doubt him and I’m sure the fight will happen and he’ll outbox and probably stop Big Josh 

I'm not too worried about the weight, more the way he is going on about inactivity, almost as if he's trying to justify a tune up fight. 

I don't know, my gut says AJ might pull off a shock. Fury has had some impressive performances, but I still don't think he's the grand master he's made out to be.

I just hope it happens so we'll finally know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Well exactly . Many words and predictions have been written about great fights that never happened ...

Whereas with Wilder-AJ, Pacquiao-Mayweather when it initially fell through, the fights always had significant obstacles. They've made all the right noises with this fight, making out like it's basically a done deal.

If it does fall through, I'll never anticipate a potential fight ever again! 

• 4 weeks later...

A frankly crazy post-Zaire fight for George Foreman, against Ron Lyle. Whatever the technical merits, it isn't short of action!

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...