2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Congratulations to Josh TAYLOR on becoming Britain’s first ever undisputed champion in the four belt era . I will hopefully catch that on YouTube soon

Wow, I'd totally forgot it was on! Congrats that man. 

A good quality and close fight despite Bayless’s best attempts to totally spoil it with a bizarre performance , as well as letting Ramirez recover with very long  counts 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DAZN - Matchroom link up for 5 years officially announced . At least 16 shows a year .... as Sky’s boxing page is all about Mayweather boxing a social media star in an exhibition . What’s the future for them ?

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

DAZN - Matchroom link up for 5 years officially announced . At least 16 shows a year .... as Sky’s boxing page is all about Mayweather boxing a social media star in an exhibition . What’s the future for them ?

You will still need Sky Sports to watch Anthony Joshua fights as he isn’t part of this deal and his PPV’s will be on Sky.

Eddie Hearn has admitted there will be PPVs on DAZN on top of the £2 subscription.

I suspect only the minor shows will be non PPV.

Personally feel that this is a bad development for boxing fans who want to follow the whole scene.

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You will still need Sky Sports to watch Anthony Joshua fights as he isn’t part of this deal and his PPV’s will be on Sky.

Eddie Hearn has admitted there will be PPVs on DAZN on top of the £2 subscription.

I suspect only the minor shows will be non PPV.

Personally feel that this is a bad development for boxing fans who want to follow the whole scene.

Joshua has one more fight under his sky contract I believe then it’s up to him where he fights . From what I read Eddie was saying he needed more bills on PPV with sky to make ends meet , but with the multi millions from DAZN they should be more selective ... hopefully 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Joshua has one more fight under his sky contract I believe then it’s up to him where he fights . From what I read Eddie was saying he needed more bills on PPV with sky to make ends meet , but with the multi millions from DAZN they should be more selective ... hopefully 

I can see how this development is good for Eddie Hearns but I feel ripped off again as a boxing fan.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Paul Gallen (39) took hard-hitting Aussie Olympics prospect Justis Huni (22) to 10 rounds before running out of steam.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/12333985/justis-huni-stopped-paul-gallen-in-the-10th-round-to-boost-his-reputation-before-he-targets-olympic-gold-for-australia 

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Paul Gallen (39) took hard-hitting Aussie Olympics prospect Justis Huni (22) to 10 rounds before running out of steam.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/12333985/justis-huni-stopped-paul-gallen-in-the-10th-round-to-boost-his-reputation-before-he-targets-olympic-gold-for-australia 

And we complain about PPV over here … 

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I heard it was pretty dominant tbh. 

So the Wilder-Fury III press conference was interesting... 

Basically, Wilder decided not to speak apart from a brief statement at the beginning. There's been a lot of talk about why, but I read it as basically an admittance that Fury wins the talking. It might actually have been an attempt to throw Fury off I think. 

As for the fight, I can only see one of two outcomes. Either redemption for Wilder or capitulation. He'll either steamroll Fury in a revenge fuelled rage, or get exposed again when it doesn't work. 

I find it interesting how when AJ lost, all we heard was how bad an idea an immediate rematch was (and how few win) and how he was too old to correct his mistakes. I've heard these points made very little about Wilder, everyone suddenly seems convinced his Instagram training will suddenly mean a new fighter. 

24 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I heard it was pretty dominant tbh. 

I only saw the final moments, but with heavyweights, if you're still standing in the tenth, you can still land a big punch and turn things around. Gallen can still make a bit more of his boxing career, but maybe not against fighters just over half his age.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I only saw the final moments, but with heavyweights, if you're still standing in the tenth, you can still land a big punch and turn things around. Gallen can still make a bit more of his boxing career, but maybe not against fighters just over half his age.

Fair play to him, I suspect he's making a fair bit more than during his NRL career. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Just had an email from DAZN telling me subs are increasing to 7-99

Me too - so £8 a month for non PPV boxing?

I’m not interested in the other sport content either.

Am going to look very closely at this in terms of fights we are getting.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

More youtubers 😀

• Sad 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Sky have signed up two new boxing promotions in Top Rank and Boxxer.

Their stable now:

Starting list of BOXXER fighters:
Hughie Fury (heavyweight)
Steve Robinson (heavyweight)
Nick Campbell (heavyweight)
Richard Riakpohre (cruiserweight)
Mikael Lawal (cruiserweight)
Scott Forrest (cruiserweight)
Germaine Browne (super-middleweight)
Chris Eubank Jr (middleweight)
Brad Rea (middleweight)
Joe Pigford (super-welterweight)
Adam Azim (lightweight)
Hassan Azim (welterweight)
Lewis Ritson (super-lightweight)
Mark Dickinson (middleweight)
Savannah Marshall (middleweight)
Claressa Shields (middleweight)
Georgia O'Connor (super-welterweight)
Caroline Dubois (lightweight)
April Hunter (welterweight)
Ebonie Jones (bantamweight)

Top Rank fighters include:
Josh Taylor (undisputed super-lightweight champion)
Oscar Valdez (WBC super-featherweight champion)
Jamel Herring (WBO super-featherweight champion)
Shakur Stevenson
Teofimo Lopez (IBF, WBA, WBO lightweight champion)
Terence Crawford (WBO welterweight champion)
Vasiliy Lomachenko
Joe Smith Jr (WBO light-heavyweight champion)
Mikaela Mayer (WBO super-featherweight champion)
Artur Beterbiev (IBF, WBC light-heavyweight champion)
Naoya Inoue (IBF, WBA super-bantamweight champion)
Ryota Murata

On 02/09/2021 at 10:16, M j M said:

Headingley getting ready for some stuff on Saturday night .

Headingley-Boxing-1-960x540.jpg

Headingley-Boxing-2-1024x576.jpg

Ended up really disappointingly. The fight was just getting going, and looked like it could be a real humdinger when a head clash caused a huge cut. Right decision to stop it. 

On 31/08/2021 at 15:04, Gerrumonside ref said:

I'm the same, I don't think it's extortionate but there needs to be enough decent fights on.

Boxing seems to be a sport that has suffered due to Covid. Obviously it hasn't been helped by the Wilder-Fury fiasco but there seems to have been a real dearth of big fights this year across the board. Last night was the first one I'd sat down to watch since maybe the last Whyte fight, and I'm not even that big a fan of Warrington's fights. 

• Like 1