I remember the  Conlan fight , it was incredible . By corrupt I take it people , from say a random country like Russia , were bunging judges on the behalf of certain fighters and this whole racket has many tentacles . Amateur boxing was a very murky world for a long time , ask Roy Jones 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

I remember the  Conlan fight , it was incredible . By corrupt I take it people , from say a random country like Russia , were bunging judges on the behalf of certain fighters and this whole racket has many tentacles . Amateur boxing was a very murky world for a long time , ask Roy Jones 

That one was so bad that the winner looked embarrassed to be given Gold.

Obviously, there is greater motive for dodgy decisions in the professional game but there was one as bad as I've ever seen on Saturday night. Hatton's lad looks the absolute spit of him but that's where the comparison ends. The Sky commentary team had him 5-1 down in rounds before he was awarded the decision.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

That one was so bad that the winner looked embarrassed to be given Gold.

Obviously, there is greater motive for dodgy decisions in the professional game but there was one as bad as I've ever seen on Saturday night. Hatton's lad looks the absolute spit of him but that's where the comparison ends. The Sky commentary team had him 5-1 down in rounds before he was awarded the decision.

The whole ‘Hurricane’ Hatton thing does seem like the ultimate Hearn confidence trick on the wider boxing public.

Obviously fair play and respect to Hatton himself (and anyone else) who gets in that ring and risks it all.

But it’s painfully clear from that fight and the one in Gibraltar too, that ‘Hurricane’ is just not ready for a level of boxing (due to his brief amateur background) that you expect to see on a televised card.

• Like 1

May: I'm so p****d off about the collapse of undisputed that I'm boycotting the 3rd Wilder-Fury fight.

September: there's no way I'm getting 2 PPV fights so close to each other, and I'm opting for AJ.

Now: it is a pretty intriguing fight....

• Haha 1

I have no doubt there will be a 4th meeting between them and it will create a lot of interest again and money. Wilder can't continue to take the amount of head shots he does without repercussions at some time in the future. Fury can be world champion as long as he wants to be, as at the moment he a class above anybody else despite the 2 knockdowns he suffered in the 4th round

34 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Apprently,  great fight.

But, I was never getting up that early.

Yeh it was the getting up that clinched it for me.

I've managed to watch rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 and 11 courtesy of the YouTube.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I have no doubt there will be a 4th meeting between them and it will create a lot of interest again and money. Wilder can't continue to take the amount of head shots he does without repercussions at some time in the future. Fury can be world champion as long as he wants to be, as at the moment he a class above anybody else despite the 2 knockdowns he suffered in the 4th round

There won't be a 4th fight, absolutely no chance.

There was only a 3rd because it was mandated. Fury isn't going to choose to fight somebody that in his eyes he's beat 3 times. Also, no matter how limited he is, he has still put him on the canvas 4 times. High risk vs low reward.

I'm so glad Fury won, just because he can put paid to rest the ridiculous stuff about the 2nd fight. Props to Wilder for his effort, but the guy has no class and refused to give Fury any credit after the fight.

• Like 2

I watched a George Foreman documentary about 2 months ago where he was talking about his loss to Ali and how he refused to accept it blaming everybody and anybody.

He said it wasn't until his second loss when he thought, 'who've you got to blame now George?'

Here's hoping Wilder's at that point now.

16 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There won't be a 4th fight, absolutely no chance.

There was only a 3rd because it was mandated. Fury isn't going to choose to fight somebody that in his eyes he's beat 3 times. Also, no matter how limited he is, he has still put him on the canvas 4 times. High risk vs low reward.

I'm so glad Fury won, just because he can put paid to rest the ridiculous stuff about the 2nd fight. Props to Wilder for his effort, but the guy has no class and refused to give Fury any credit after the fight.

Money talks. We will see

31 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Money talks. We will see

The only way a 4th happens (and even then I'm doubtful) is if Fury becomes undisputed and Wilder gets a couple of wins against the likes of AJ.

Then you factor in that Wilder is 35 and that Fury could retire tomorrow or in 10 years, you just don't know with him.

A below-par Fury just beat the best Wilder. He won't want to go there again for any amount.

5 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The only way a 4th happens (and even then I'm doubtful) is if Fury becomes undisputed and Wilder gets a couple of wins against the likes of AJ.

Then you factor in that Wilder is 35 and that Fury could retire tomorrow or in 10 years, you just don't know with him.

A below-par Fury just beat the best Wilder. He won't want to go there again for any amount.

Think Old Trafford full. Think money

Fury's from the area it won't be a problem filling the stadium and Fury's fans would pay to see it. Don't underestimate the high interest there would be for a 4th meeting between them in this country, and seeing Fury knock him out again

1 minute ago, lucky 7 said:

Think Old Trafford full. Think money

Fury's from the area it won't be a problem filling the stadium and Fury's fans would pay to see it. Don't underestimate the high interest there would be for a 4th meeting between them in this country, and seeing Fury knock him out again

I'm telling you there is literally no chance it happens again. He wouldn't have given him a 3rd fight if he had the choice.

Fury's already made 10s of millions, and he's earned the right to pick and choose who he wants to fight before he retires.

He's not going to pick somebody he's beaten 3 times and stopped twice because he might get a few more million than say if he fights Whyte or Usyk.

The AJ fight is still the biggest fight financially for Fury, but this relies on his beating Usyk.

• Like 1

Very good fight , I’m glad I got it . It became a concerted beatdown . Early it was quite competitive , Tyson looking the boss then bang he’s on his backside again . You just know he’s getting up though and pretty much from then Wilder tanked  and looked demoralised as much as anything . It would have better for him if Tyson had that one shot KO shot , but as it was it was just worse for being more prolonged until the finish finally came with Wilder so knackered the ref nearly pushed him over breaking them , and Tyson chopped him down . Tyson was quite flabby but he just knew he had his measure whatever I guess . Very exciting  . 

Edited by DavidM

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Very good fight , I’m glad I got it . It became a concerted beatdown . Early it was quite competitive , Tyson looking the boss then bang he’s on his backside again . You just know he’s getting up though and pretty much from then Wilder tanked  and looked demoralised as much as anything . It would have better for him if Tyson had that one shot KO shot , but as it was it was just worse for being more prolonged until the finish finally came with Wilder so knackered the ref nearly pushed him over breaking them , and Tyson chopped him down . Tyson was quite flabby but he just knew he had his measure whatever I guess . Very exciting  . 

I've managed to watch it all now and agree, it wasn't peak Fury but it was peak Wilder. I was very against the third fight but I think it'll be great for Fury's legacy as it puts to bed the stupid controversy of the second fight.

Wilder has a great right hand but he's never been in with punchers and always thought he'd come up against a big puncher who caught him before he caught them. Fury isn't a huge puncher and managed to fully KO him. 

It was a veritable rollercoaster of emotion I thought, as are all the great fights.  Wilder started with a steely determination, jabbing at the body and trying to set up a watchful Fury for his big overhand right.  He probably picked up the first round.

Fury then regrouped before picking off  Wilder in the third and putting him down.  It seemed the fight would then only go in one direction as Fury continued his good work and Wilder looked increasingly desperate in the 4th.

Then suddenly virtually out of nowhere in the same round, Fury walks onto a big shot from Wilder and stumbles before falling forwards.  Visibly shaken, Fury gets up before being put down again a few moments later by Wilder and the momentum has swung completely and when the bell sounds, Fury is holding desperately to stay in the fight.

It’s from here for me that Fury shows why he’s the best of the big fighters in that division as he gradually starts round by round to overpower a tiring Wilder with his boxing skill and nous.  He wears down and takes apart a weary looking Wilder whose own attempts to land big right hands are still there, but neutralised over time.

Knocked down in the 10th by Fury, when the end comes in the 11th, Fury is well ahead on points despite the 10-7 round (the scorecards show this too).  The final attack is a brutal right hook catching an extremely worn looking Wilder on the ropes knocking him out decisively onto his face.

A great fight.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It was a veritable rollercoaster of emotion I thought, as are all the great fights.  Wilder started with a steely determination, jabbing at the body and trying to set up a watchful Fury for his big overhand right.  He probably picked up the first round.

Fury then regrouped before picking off  Wilder in the third and putting him down.  It seemed the fight would then only go in one direction as Fury continued his good work and Wilder looked increasingly desperate in the 4th.

Then suddenly virtually out of nowhere in the same round, Fury walks onto a big shot from Wilder and stumbles before falling forwards.  Visibly shaken, Fury gets up before being put down again a few moments later by Wilder and the momentum has swung completely and when the bell sounds, Fury is holding desperately to stay in the fight.

It’s from here for me that Fury shows why he’s the best of the big fighters in that division as he gradually starts round by round to overpower a tiring Wilder with his boxing skill and nous.  He wears down and takes apart a weary looking Wilder whose own attempts to land big right hands are still there, but neutralised over time.

Knocked down in the 10th by Fury, when the end comes in the 11th, Fury is well ahead on points despite the 10-7 round (the scorecards show this too).  The final attack is a brutal right hook catching an extremely worn looking Wilder on the ropes knocking him out decisively onto his face.

A great fight.

One of the great shocks is how good the scorecards were looking. All had Fury up by 3 or so which is about right considering the 10-7.

• Like 2