21 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Think Old Trafford full. Think money

Fury's from the area it won't be a problem filling the stadium and Fury's fans would pay to see it. Don't underestimate the high interest there would be for a 4th meeting between them in this country, and seeing Fury knock him out again

Usky vs Fury, AJ vs Uysk, AJ vs Fury.

Police Academy was a successful film franchise, but let's not have another sequal.

Wilder is alongwith Ruiz now.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

They were saying on BT that basically Wilder has never learned how to box , and never needed to , and  then it was to late . He’s just so ragged . What he has is eventually gonna come up short 

I think he might be a great wasted natural talent, which is a strange thought perhaps.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I think he might be a great wasted natural talent, which is a strange thought perhaps.

The lord giveth and the lord taketh away.

It's amazing to think of what Wilder might have become if he started out sooner, or if he had spent the last 17 years working on his boxing skills.

Wilder was blessed with incredible power, which obviously is of a great benefit to him as a boxer. However, maybe he wasn't blessed with the other things necessary such as the discipline and the humility to become a legendary champion. It's also become clear that Wilder's hands can't take the force long term.

You'd have to think that he'll retire from here, other than for financial gain. He's 36 in a week and he'll never undo the Fury trilogy, even if he beats AJ or Usyk. He can only ever prove himself to be second best and he risks slipping even further with defeat.

From a boxing perspective, he's been getting a lot of credit for his performance but in reality the trilogy has only confirmed what every critic used to say - that he was a puncher with poor boxing skills. This is how he will be remembered. AJ risks a very similar legacy if he loses easily to Usyk again. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 19:06, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm telling you there is literally no chance it happens again. He wouldn't have given him a 3rd fight if he had the choice.

Fury's already made 10s of millions, and he's earned the right to pick and choose who he wants to fight before he retires.

He's not going to pick somebody he's beaten 3 times and stopped twice because he might get a few more million than say if he fights Whyte or Usyk.

The AJ fight is still the biggest fight financially for Fury, but this relies on his beating Usyk.

AJ beating Usyk is unlikely, unless he gets in with a lucky punch.

Wilder is a league above Whyte and Whyte wouldn't last 5 rounds against Fury.

Usyk would cause Fury Problems in the early rounds with his mobility, but it will be curtains for him once Fury catches up with him

Don’t know if anyone saw Callum Johnson’s fight on Saturday but if you did it was another , yet another , shocker to add to Ian John Lewis’s long repertoire of shockers . One of boxing’s biggest mysteries is how this guy is employed as a ‘ top level ‘  official 

7 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

AJ beating Usyk is unlikely, unless he gets in with a lucky punch.

Wilder is a league above Whyte and Whyte wouldn't last 5 rounds against Fury.

Usyk would cause Fury Problems in the early rounds with his mobility, but it will be curtains for him once Fury catches up with him

Usyk is favourite, but I wouldn't say an AJ victory is unlikely. If you listen to anybody who knows about boxing, they all say the same thing - he tried to outbox him rather than bully him.

I'm not convinced that Wilder is a league above Whyte at all. What is it based on? Prior to Fury, he had a padded record and all the 3 fights demonstrated was that he isn't the best boxer but that he has great power and heart. However, Fury isn't a big hitter and never has been. Whyte definitely has more knockout power than Fury and would be capable of catching Wilder. Of course, Wilder would be more than capable of catching him too.

In theory, Fury would be too much for Usyk. I suspect he would go back to his less aggressive style and make the most of his signficant size advantage. However, some of Fury's tougher fights (Cunningham, Wallin, McDermott) have been against men you wouldn't expect.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Recorded and got up watched later in the morning (not live) the Canelo-Plant fight.  Some achievement by Canelo to step up in weight and unify the Super Middleweight division for the first time in history.

He wasn’t at his greatest last night and the fight was still ‘live’ going into the tenth before the unbeaten IBF champ Caleb Plant was put down with a heavy shot.  Canelo then swarmed all over him and KO’d him face first by the ropes to the euphoria of his adoring fans.

A word too for having a decent and exciting undercard with good fighters like and elite trainers.  I doubt in England we’d get too many ex World Champions with 34-0-0 records stepping up in weight that are only third on the bill (Rey Vargas)!  Even the opening fight was clearly at far superior level in technique and skill than your average recent Saturday night fare on a Warren/Hearn/Boxxer card.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Recorded and got up watched later in the morning (not live) the Canelo-Plant fight.  Some achievement by Canelo to step up in weight and unify the Super Middleweight division for the first time in history.

He wasn’t at his greatest last night and the fight was still ‘live’ going into the tenth before the unbeaten IBF champ Caleb Plant was put down with a heavy shot.  Canelo then swarmed all over him and KO’d him face first by the ropes to the euphoria of his adoring fans.

A word too for having a decent and exciting undercard with good fighters like and elite trainers.  I doubt in England we’d get too many ex World Champions with 34-0-0 records stepping up in weight that are only third on the bill (Rey Vargas)!  Even the opening fight was clearly at far superior level in technique and skill than your average recent Saturday night fare on a Warren/Hearn/Boxxer card.

It’s a historic achievement no doubt . Tbh it’s not a vintage super middleweight group he’s gone through but given his natural size disadvantages it’s quite something . The bigger fish now are at light heavy so going back up there looks the next challenge. If he takes out guys like Beterbiev then he’s really cementing his status as one of the all time legends 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

It’s a historic achievement no doubt . Tbh it’s not a vintage super middleweight group he’s gone through but given his natural size disadvantages it’s quite something . The bigger fish now are at light heavy so going back up there looks the next challenge. If he takes out guys like Beterbiev then he’s really cementing his status as one of the all time legends 

He's an incredible boxer no doubt and probably the best in the world atm, but he suffers from a lack of competition. I wasn't too aware of Plant, and I couldn't tell you who he should fight next. He's pretty easily disposed of a number of potential challengers like Smith and Saunders.

The GGG matches felt like genuine blockbusters, but despite having possibly lost both of them, GGG is getting a bit old and would be unlikely to win a 3rd.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I was always swerving this PPV - don’t see the fascination with Jake Paul.

Biggest draw in boxing.....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Why though?  He’s not the most technically accomplished boxer in the world.

I don't make the rules 😀

I think the draw is hoping someone will knock him out.  As opposed to wanting to see him do well.

• Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I don't make the rules 😀

I think the draw is hoping someone will knock him out.  As opposed to wanting to see him do well.

Yes, that’s an old theme in boxing when it comes to selling tickets.

I’m not really to aware of these social media gonks unless they come into the orbit of something I follow.

Sounds like he’s famous for being famous amongst the yoof after doing a bit of quick research.

26 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sounds like he’s famous for being famous amongst the yoof after doing a bit of quick research.

And being a grade A nob 😆

Which helps with the hating him theme.  

• Haha 1

On 06/12/2021 at 16:16, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, that’s an old theme in boxing when it comes to selling tickets.

I’m not really to aware of these social media gonks unless they come into the orbit of something I follow.

I watched Mayweather fight after Mayweather fight wanting him to get sparked out. Eventually, I grew to respect what he was doing.

Edited by Maximus Decimus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Jake Paul won with a devastating KO.  

Lot of speculation that it was rigged. I'm not that sceptical but it was weird, very little really happened and then boom a clear knock out.

55 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Lot of speculation that it was rigged. I'm not that sceptical but it was weird, very little really happened and then boom a clear knock out.

If it was rigged, Woodley deserves a medal because it was a big punch.  

49 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

If it was rigged, Woodley deserves a medal because it was a big punch.  

I've little time for conspiracies tbh. It doesn't add up either as clearly Tommy Fury wasn't going to be rigged.

• 1 month later...

Can’t get excited about Khan v Brook at all . It’s another of those matches that finally comes around years after it should and when it had real meaning  . It’s got virtually zero relevance outside the personal and domestic rivalry . Id watch it on Skysports won’t be paying for it . On another topic , I don’t know if anyone watched Jacobs and Ryder . I think Ryder was very lucky to get a hometown decision , although both looked way off elite level now 

• Like 1