44 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can’t get excited about Khan v Brook at all . It’s another of those matches that finally comes around years after it should and when it had real meaning  . It’s got virtually zero relevance outside the personal and domestic rivalry . Id watch it on Skysports won’t be paying for it . On another topic , I don’t know if anyone watched Jacobs and Ryder . I think Ryder was very lucky to get a hometown decision , although both looked way off elite level now 

I tend to disagree and feel it’s a better PPV offering than the various non title heavyweight ones that Matchroom saturated you with as a fan.

I’ve followed both boxers from the very start and the fight sold out in minutes for good reason: there is proper beef there.  

I watched Ryder-Jacobs and would agree although Ryder won the important later rounds in my eyes.  As usual the commentary was appalling and missed completely that Ryder was starting to gain momentum.  Personally I’m cancelling my DAZN subscription as I don’t find it to be value for money.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

As usual the commentary was appalling and missed completely that Ryder was started to gain momentum.  Personally I’m cancelling my DAZN subscription as I don’t find it to be value for money.

Mike Costello isn’t proving a good tv commentator , basically parroting what Andy Lee says , and he’s not the best either

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Mike Costello isn’t proving a good tv commentator , basically parroting what Andy Lee says , and he’s not the best either

Yeah, it’s disappointing and I wasn’t very happy with the dramatic price increase either a few months, which seemed to run contrary to Hearn’s initial pronouncements.

I think had DAZN taken the football rights off BT Sport as had been suggested might happen then their overall package would be attractive.  As it is I’m not blown away by the current Matchroom boxing stable nor the production value of DAZN except the actual picture quality.

As you say the commentary needs to be improved and the overall offering.  BT has Tyson Fury and Sky is starting to improve the regular non PPV offering.  Something had to give and it was DAZN for the time being.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Khan vs Brook is finally happening.

Fast hands versus heavier hands.

Brook always been the bigger man in terms of weight so I would favour him.

Think eventually Khan will tire and Brook will stop him.

Will be an interesting fight given the longevity of the needle and the mixing of styles.

Khan he do it ?. Yes he Khan !. Amir will knock him out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Mike Costello isn’t proving a good tv commentator

On the radio, I like him and Bunce, McIntosh and Woodall.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

As far as Khan/Brook is concerned it's slightly less necrophiliac than some of the "fights" we've seen in recent years. But it is still another example of a fight that could have been good, but whose optimal time was at least a decade ago. Neither fighter will be able to show their best abilities.

Rugby League's latest potential tin-pot messiah Eddie Hearn is talking it down, but only because he's not making any money out of it. If it was a Hearn production, he'd be hyping it as "the clash the public demanded to see!"

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It obviously isn't the fight it could've been but there's plenty for it to be interesting.

Khan is the one who has really put his reputation on the line, as I think a damaging loss would affect how his career is perceived. After all, he is the one who has been too big to lower himself to fight Brook. If Brook loses, he doesn't have the same reputation in the first place.

Also, for once, there is genuine beef, from Brook at least. Khan seems to condescend him and it clearly gets to Brook.

I'm still not gonna buy it, but I've gone from 100% not getting it to 90% 

Brook absolutely battered him.

Khan has lost his hand speed which was his best asset. After about round 3, it became clear that Khan couldn't hurt him and Brook just walked him down. A KO was a formality. The stoppage wasn't brilliant but I doubt many people will feel it was too controversial, Khan had no chance.

10 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Brook absolutely battered him.

Khan has lost his hand speed which was his best asset. After about round 3, it became clear that Khan couldn't hurt him and Brook just walked him down. A KO was a formality. The stoppage wasn't brilliant but I doubt many people will feel it was too controversial, Khan had no chance.

It was slightly premature, but the referee has saved Khan from taking too many shots in a losing effort.

The fight went the way I thought it would with a tiring Khan being stopped by the naturally bigger and heavier handed man in Kell Brook.

Khan fought bravely given the circumstances.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It was slightly premature, but the referee has saved Khan from taking too many shots in a losing effort.

The fight went the way I thought it would with a tiring Khan being stopped by the naturally bigger and heavier handed man in Kell Brook.

Khan fought bravely given the circumstances.

I was surprised how much bigger and more dominant Brook was tbh. 

• Like 1

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

I was surprised how much bigger and more dominant Brook was tbh. 

He’s always been the bigger man with heavier hands.

In some ways it’s why I’ve always seen the rivalry as such as a bit odd from a pure boxing perspective.

Usually people chase those up a weight in a feud and not down a weight.

If Brook fights Eubank Jr then the shoe will be on the other foot.

9 hours ago, bobbruce said:

The Taylor v Catterall fight is probably the worst judge’s decision I’ve ever seen in boxing. 

Only positive was the complete honesty of Sky’s new boxing promoter Ben Shalom in calling for action against this and accountability.

He said he was embarrassed and angry.

I felt very sorry Jack Catterall who was denied his big moment by sheer incompetence.

• Like 4

Why do we even bother watching ? Literally no words .That was a beat down for large periods . Catterall has waited years for that chance . And Ian John Lewis … again and again and again . Take this in , he gave Jack four rounds and had Taylor WINNING three of the first four . Was he the VR at Goodison to?

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 18:35, DavidM said:

Why do we even bother watching ? Literally no words .That was a beat down for large periods . Catterall has waited years for that chance . And Ian John Lewis … again and again and again . Take this in , he gave Jack four rounds and had Taylor WINNING three of the first four . Was he the VR at Goodison to?

Surely Lewis will be dropped from the judges panel and told just concentrate on being a ref

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another boxing freakshow as Eddie Hall takes on Thor in about half an hour.

Must say I'm intrigued by this one, although I have a sneaky suspicion that it might be an act and it ends up as a 6 round exhibition of sorts.

If not, I think Thor finished Eddie quite easily. Their boxing skills look massively different.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Time for another boxing freakshow as Eddie Hall takes on Thor in about half an hour.

Must say I'm intrigued by this one, although I have a sneaky suspicion that it might be an act and it ends up as a 6 round exhibition of sorts.

If not, I think Thor finished Eddie quite easily. Their boxing skills look massively different.

Amateur production so far.

I expect Eddie to come out swinging.  I think the hatred is pretty real (From Eddie anyway).  I want it over with really as Eddie comes across quite badly at times.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Wasn't the brawl i expected.  I'd give it to the Mountain on points.  

Fair to say Segi did a shocking job. Luckily, their amateurishness meant it was streamed in full on YouTube.

Thor looked like a low-quality boxer, Hall looked like a guy trying to box in a pub car park.

That said, Hall shook him a few times and Thor looked very nervy until he put Hall down at the end of the third. It was all one way traffic after that.

Hall was telegraphing so much he made Wilder look like a ninja.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Fair to say Segi did a shocking job. Luckily, their amateurishness meant it was streamed in full on YouTube.

Thor looked like a low-quality boxer, Hall looked like a guy trying to box in a pub car park.

That said, Hall shook him a few times and Thor looked very nervy until he put Hall down at the end of the third. It was all one way traffic after that.

Hall was telegraphing so much he made Wilder look like a ninja.

I watched a few minutes. Pitiful. Two steroided neck-folds slowly pawing in each other's general direction. One of them looked like he'd watched a boxing match at some time in the past, but had forgotten most of it. The other looked like he was in more danger of punching himself by accident.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Time for the big Whyte-Fury fight.

They're billing it as the biggest UK clash ever, but I don't think so. Yes it's sold 94,000 but I don't think the general public are nearly as interested as some of the bigger AJ fights or say Lewis vs Bruno.

As for the fight, I'll be rooting for Whyte but can't see it. Fury will keep him at bay and Whyte will get frustrated with an eventual stoppage IMO. Maybe he'll be pulled out or it'll get stopped rather than a showreel knockout.