12 minutes ago, Damien said:

He was literally telling Usyk to his face that he was not big, not strong and not skilled. He simply could not fathom how someone like Usyk could beat him. That fits in exactly to what I am saying.

As I said previously you seem entirely focused on Joshua's rant while ignoring everything else he said and did. That was all as bad in my opinion.

I'm not defending his actions as such, I'm more trying to argue that what happened doesn't necessarily make him this terrible person.

He let himself down, absolutely he did, but I also think it's easy to judge somebody when in reality it's impossible for us to imagine what it's like to be someone like AJ in that moment. I don't think it's beyond the realms that he genuinely thought he'd won and lost it as a result. Does that excuse his behaviour - no, but it doesn't make him a terrible person especially if in the cold light of day he is embarrassed by it and apologises for it.

Canelo thought he beat Bivol, Pacquiao thought he beat Mayweather (and said what he did isn't really boxing) and Lomachenko thought he beat Lopez. The difference is that they were allowed to cool down and say it in the cold light of day, AJ picked up a microphone and nobody stopped him.

There are 3 examples where at the time they seemed like insanity that are similar in context: Haye's ridiculous assertion that his little toe cost him victory, Wilder's refusal to be gracious to Fury and now AJs tantrum/cringefest after losing to Usyk. What they all have in common is that they are after career and reputation defining defeats from which there would never be a return. Wilder will always be viewed as a limited puncher, Haye was never going to get another chance and now AJ will always be Frank Bruno II. Maybe this in some part explains their ill-advised actions.

24 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Personally I have been disappointed with the trajectory of Joshua’s career since the Klitschko fight and although his career isn’t over yet, it’s clearly not going in the direction he or his promotional team envisaged.

I do think too his behaviour on Saturday night post-fight shouldn’t be excused as ‘what top level athletes do when they lose’.  We see countless examples of other top level athletes in their sport be defeated and take it honourably.

Thankfully Joshua has acknowledged he fell below the standards set and now I feel we will truly see what he is made of in the rest of his career.  He needs most obviously to prepare a fighting path towards being in contention to fight Tyson Fury at Wembley stadium should Fury be successful in defeating Usyk.

There’s lots of ifs, buts and maybes though, but a Fury-Joshua fight even now would still bring a tremendous amount of money to both and the chance to settle that score.

Don't forget AJ has been more than humble in his two previous defeats. He was even criticised after Ruiz for appearing too happy. It's much easier to be humble when you've clearly lost.

The difference this time is that it has defined his career full stop. Had he beat Usyk, he'd be a heroic 3 time champion on his way to fighting for undisputed. Now he can never get that back, you can have an off night or have the wrong gameplan, but to lose twice defines how he will be viewed for all time. There are few sports and certainly fewer jobs where you experience this in a single moment. As I said, if he apologises and accepts he did wrong he should be allowed to move on. There are a lot of people keen to make out like this is the 'real AJ' whose mask slipped.

I think he should retire personally. He has £100m in the bank and can only further damage his reputation. You could argue there'd be some redemption if he regained a title at some point, but unless it's against a Fury or Usyk again (which are both incredibly unlikely fights IMO) it would be a hollow achievement. In the meantime, if he lost to a Whyte, Joyce, Wilder or worse it would only further damage his past achievements.

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Don't forget AJ has been more than humble in his two previous defeats. He was even criticised after Ruiz for appearing too happy. It's much easier to be humble when you've clearly lost.

The difference this time is that it has defined his career full stop. Had he beat Usyk, he'd be a heroic 3 time champion on his way to fighting for undisputed. Now he can never get that back, you can have an off night or have the wrong gameplan, but to lose twice defines how he will be viewed for all time. There are few sports and certainly fewer jobs where you experience this in a single moment. As I said, if he apologises and accepts he did wrong he should be allowed to move on. There are a lot of people keen to make out like this is the 'real AJ' whose mask slipped.

I think he should retire personally. He has £100m in the bank and can only further damage his reputation. You could argue there'd be some redemption if he regained a title at some point, but unless it's against a Fury or Usyk again (which are both incredibly unlikely fights IMO) it would be a hollow achievement. In the meantime, if he lost to a Whyte, Joyce, Wilder or worse it would only further damage his past achievements.

Am I right in thinking you’re a huge Joshua fan?

On 19/03/2018 at 20:35, Maximus Decimus said:

I've always enjoyed a bit of boxing (watching not taking part!) and there seems to be some very interesting stuff coming up. 

I recently posted on the other forum about boxing on YouTube and there really is some excellent stuff out there. There is something about boxing that lends itself to great content and I would heartily recommend Boxing Legends TV as a start to pass a few days of your time. 

The most pressing event is Joshua vs Parker which looks like being a decent fight. If Joshua gets past this then there is the real prospect of a mega fight in Joshua-Wilder. This is all happening whilst the return of Tyson Fury is imminent. 

Domestically there is a fair bit to be excited about,  none more so than Bellew-Haye 2.

I'm an old man and when i was a kid there was just 8 boxing weights with 8 worlds champions now there are about 14 weights with about 4 champions in each weight

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Just watched the Joyce-Parker fight.

Great performance by the Juggernaut after knocking out Joseph Parker and handing out a real beating.

Parker is tough and was brave, but any good shot that he landed seemed to hit a granite chin and was returned with interest.

Joyce used his jab sensibly and set out to pen Parker on the ropes right from the off.

When the end came it was with a withering left hook to the temple onto an already cut Parker.

Tyson Fury was sat ringside…would love to know his thoughts in the coming days.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

18 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just watched the Joyce-Parker fight.

Great performance by the Juggernaut after knocking out Joseph Parker and handing out a real beating.

Parker is tough and was brave, but any good shot that he landed seemed to hit a granite chin and was returned with interest.

Joyce used his jab sensibly and set out to pen Parker on the ropes right from the off.

When the end came it was with a withering left hook to the temple onto an already cut Parker.

Tyson Fury was sat ringside…would love to know his thoughts in the coming days.

I don’t get many PVP’s but I’m a Joyce fan and I thought this was interesting so I bought it . Parker was game but it was a bit of a beating on the quiet . Joyce gets knocked for being a bit stiff and basic but it’s a bit unfair … his workrate is fantastic for a heavyweight , he’s got a granite chin and he just wears you down with aggression and is immensely strong . He’s improving his movement and has a good repertoire of punches . I’d have him beating AJ and with his chin and strength he’d be in the mix with anyone 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t get many PVP’s but I’m a Joyce fan and I thought this was interesting so I bought it . Parker was game but it was a bit of a beating on the quiet . Joyce gets knocked for being a bit stiff and basic but it’s a bit unfair … his workrate is fantastic for a heavyweight , he’s got a granite chin and he just wears you down with aggression and is immensely strong . He’s improving his movement and has a good repertoire of punches . I’d have him beating AJ and with his chin and strength he’d be in the mix with anyone 

Definitely the best performance of his professional career so far.

On 22/08/2022 at 18:40, The Future is League said:

I'm an old man and when i was a kid there was just 8 boxing weights with 8 worlds champions now there are about 14 weights with about 4 champions in each weight

its all about the money mate- its all about the money 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Conor Benn has failed a drug test...

Some rubbish coming from both camps about it.  Benn lot saying he's passed other tests since, well that's not the point, some things get out of the system quickly!  Being PED free now doesn't mean you was PED free a week ago.

Eubanks camp saying they don't consider it performance enhancing.  If it raises testosterone, then its a PED.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

15 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Conor Benn has failed a drug test...

Some rubbish coming from both camps about it.  Benn lot saying he's passed other tests since, well that's not the point, some things get out of the system quickly!  Being PED free now doesn't mean you was PED free a week ago.

Eubanks camp saying they don't consider it performance enhancing.  If it raises testosterone, then its a PED.  

The other big story here are the actions of Eddie Hearn in desperately trying to resurrect the fight despite the British Board of Boxing prohibiting it and saying it is not in the interests of boxing.

Runs contrary to previous statements Hearn has made about boxer welfare and the importance of drug tests.

Whatever happens now boxing’s reputation has been dragged into the mire again as a sport.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

I liked that. Probably more than I should.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 months later...

Fight of the year tonight Fury Vs Paul!  Surprised it's so quiet on here?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 25/02/2023 at 14:27, Bedford Roughyed said:

Fight of the year tonight Fury Vs Paul!  Surprised it's so quiet on here?

Sadly it is the biggest fight of the year, at least until we see Davis-Garcia or dare I say Fury-Usyk.

The boxing community is divided about whether it is good for the sport. Personally, it doesn't feel good regardless of how many will watch or be interested.

Once boxing has been turned into a total sideshow it won't be able to suddenly gain credibility again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2023 at 18:05, Click said:

Just started watching the undercard for the Joshua fight - looks and sounds like about 100 people there max right now.

In my experience, people are only really into the main event in any significant numbers. 

It was a decent fight, but AJ didn't look great. Fury will probably go for him now.