18 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Would still be a good fight.

Of course I'd be interested. People seem to get that Fury doesn't look great against lower opposition but that can't apply to AJ.

With the state of modern boxing, I'd just be happy to see it. At one point it seemed like it was destined to happen but now I'm doubtful it'll ever happen.

One positive on that front is the upcoming Davis vs Garcia fight. Finally two undefeated fighters with a lot to lose putting it all on the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

One positive on that front is the upcoming Davis vs Garcia fight. Finally two undefeated fighters with a lot to lose putting it all on the line.

I think the Bud Crawford - Spence fight is going to be made which would be huge 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Yeh that was another I thought wouldn't happen. 

Now Crawford has said it was an April Fool , so who knows . Boxing seems like one big April Fool at times , it drives you crazy with everything that goes on ( and doesnt go on )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Joyce got totally dominated by Zhang. I remember seeing Zhang a few years ago and thinking he was totally rubbish but he looked really good last night.

Joyce was exposed as usual but wasn't able to grind his opponent down. I do think without the eye he was starting to get to Zhang by his sheer constant pressure.

A lot has been made that Joyce was ahead on the cards and it does seem ridiculous and home-town judges. However, it comes down to the old pressure vs effective shots argument. In the last 4 rounds, Joyce had started to outland Zhang.

Personally though, I much prefer giving the round to the boxer who gets the cleaner, more effective shots off. In some of those rounds, Joyce didn't catch him properly once, whereas Zhang rocked his head right back.

19 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Wow Joyce got totally dominated by Zhang. I remember seeing Zhang a few years ago and thinking he was totally rubbish but he looked really good last night.

Joyce was exposed as usual but wasn't able to grind his opponent down. I do think without the eye he was starting to get to Zhang by his sheer constant pressure.

A lot has been made that Joyce was ahead on the cards and it does seem ridiculous and home-town judges. However, it comes down to the old pressure vs effective shots argument. In the last 4 rounds, Joyce had started to outland Zhang.

Personally though, I much prefer giving the round to the boxer who gets the cleaner, more effective shots off. In some of those rounds, Joyce didn't catch him properly once, whereas Zhang rocked his head right back.

Didn’t see it but I was surprised , Zhang looked pretty limited when I saw him but I guess so has Big Joe but he’s granite tough and just got through on bullying workrate . I’ll try it find it somewhere to watch 

22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Didn’t see it but I was surprised , Zhang looked pretty limited when I saw him but I guess so has Big Joe but he’s granite tough and just got through on bullying workrate . I’ll try it find it somewhere to watch 

Zhang is really quite quick and clearly has power. He could be a problem for anyone I reckon. Wilder would be able to catch him easy enough, but other fighters would find it hard.

The time before I saw him, he gassed out and it was one of the worst type HW fights where they're out of shape and leaning on each other. Apparently his kidney failed or something.

I don’t think Zhang is a fast mover but he hits very hard and Joyce looked like he’d never been in the ring with a southpaw before as he was making mistake after mistake.

I think a more mobile boxer (perhaps a more pumped up cruiserweight or just someone with more nous and better footwork) could adopt a hit and run strategy.

I think he’d been very unlucky in his last previous big fight had Zhang to lose a points decision.  He can’t be ignored now because of the potential markets he could sell PPVs in.

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Garcia has to take a knee after creasing under a well timed body shot by Davis in the 7th and the fight is over as the ref waves it off.

Wasn’t a spectacular finish by any means just a straight left really sunk in.

Davis improves to 29-0.

He always looked the more likely. Garcia was getting back into it a bit, but you always felt like Davis was able to take his shots easy enough and at some point was going to catch him clean.

I must say DAZN works well for me over here. No more having to record it. Just wake up and log onto my phone a bit like Netflix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ryder takes Canelo the distance and shows balls of solid rock in the process.

It was a wide points defeat for the Londoner, but after his nose was bust up in the second and he was put down in the fifth he showed real valour.

A bloodied Ryder was never going to win on points in Guadalajara and wouldn’t have deserved it tonight, but it was telling that he won two of the last three rounds.

On that performance I’d be very surprised if Canelo beats Bivol in their rematch and I’m not sure how much is left in the great man’s tank.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

• 2 weeks later...

Katie Taylor finally defeated in the ring for the first time.

It was a great fight with Chantelle Cameron in a battle of undisputed champions in Dublin.

Caneron won on points with two judges giving it her by a couple of rounds.

Looked fair to me in a gripping fight, but one where Cameron carried more lead in her shots.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Another good fight last night. Haney vs Loma which Haney won with a unanimous decision.

It was the usual controversial boxing decision, but aside from the 116-112 both judges had it 115-113 which certainly wasn't ridiculous. It felt very close throughout the bulk of fight, but after the 11th, where Loma looked like he could take him out, it seemed like Loma would win. However, rather than building on it in the 12th he lost that round comfortably.

I personally felt like Loma won, but could understand how someone could get to a 114-114 or even 115-113. The fact that it was unanimous doesn't feel right IMO, I don't see three separate people all scoring it for Haney.

I do think that there are problems with scoring in boxing. Without actually scoring it, it felt like the best moments were all Loma and that this isn't accounted for enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Another good fight last night. Haney vs Loma which Haney won with a unanimous decision.

It was the usual controversial boxing decision, but aside from the 116-112 both judges had it 115-113 which certainly wasn't ridiculous. It felt very close throughout the bulk of fight, but after the 11th, where Loma looked like he could take him out, it seemed like Loma would win. However, rather than building on it in the 12th he lost that round comfortably.

I personally felt like Loma won, but could understand how someone could get to a 114-114 or even 115-113. The fact that it was unanimous doesn't feel right IMO, I don't see three separate people all scoring it for Haney.

I do think that there are problems with scoring in boxing. Without actually scoring it, it felt like the best moments were all Loma and that this isn't accounted for enough.

Loma did much better than some thought he would and I really enjoyed it.

It was a hard fight to call with tight rounds and any three decisions by a cigarette paper would have been understandable.

The American commentary team made much of the fact Haney may have clinched the verdict by winning two of the last three ‘championship’ rounds including the last.

I agree with your frustrations on the archaic scoring methods and the subjectivity on the officials scorecards that can often result in daft decisions.

I hope Loma comes back stronger as he is definitely one for the purists - a boxer’s boxer.

Watched Okolie lose his belt to Billam-Smith last night, and boy what a frustrating fight. Okolie looked to be channeling his inner Henry Akinwande. 

He got 2 points taken off for holding, and he suffered 3 knockdowns (of which only 1 was properly legit) yet somehow one referee had it 112-112!

Fair play to Okolie, he took it really well and wasn't bitter. I presumed he'd be fuming about the referee.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2023 at 10:14, Maximus Decimus said:

Watched Okolie lose his belt to Billam-Smith last night, and boy what a frustrating fight. Okolie looked to be channeling his inner Henry Akinwande. 

He got 2 points taken off for holding, and he suffered 3 knockdowns (of which only 1 was properly legit) yet somehow one referee had it 112-112!

Fair play to Okolie, he took it really well and wasn't bitter. I presumed he'd be fuming about the referee.

Okolie should be thanking the ref that he was so lenient , he should have been thrown out by half way . He makes my eyes bleed watching him , he’s horrendous . And as for that judge , I presume he had world war 2 a draw . Sadly no one even raises an eyebrow anymore . Pleased for CBS I like him 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1