17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There's fair bit of swagger about Ruiz outside the ring, which can overshadow his technical abilities when the fight starts. Joshua may not hit as hard a Bruno, but looks far better in other aspects.

Not only a very interesting rematch, but one that doesn't start at stupid o'clock GMT.

It's hard to judge who hits harder I reckon. Both almost never went the distance, so it comes down to a comparison of quality of opposition.

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

With those middle-of-the-night fights, I've always wondered how many PPV customers pay their money, get some beers and pizza in... then doze off at about midnight, only to wake up an hour or two after the fight finishes.

I've tried everything over the years: staying up, going bed, having an afternoon nap etc and nothing works.

You're either so tired you just want to go bed or feel like a zombie.

39 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

First punch from Luiz will hopefully dislodge the Beats from AJ's head.

Or maybe AJ will do the same to Ruiz's (admittedly magnificent) sombrero.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Well, here we go...

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Cagey first round, but AJ landed the first solid shot late on.

Round 2: very even. Both fighters cut, but neither looks like a serious one.

Round 3: Ended with a flurry of more aggressive punching. Still inconclusive, though, as both fighters landed a few.

Ruiz showing his danger there in the 4th. AJ does look cautious and concerned about the threat Ruiz poses. AJ needs to keep dominating with that jab.

###### get in.

Made up for AJ, he's an even bigger star for the comeback. Find it very hard to imagine Hearn giving him another fight! 

AJ did what he had to do and boxed beautifully. Ruiz was always dangerous but couldn't get close enough. He seems to have a rock solid chin which made it very hard for AJ to do anything but box clever.

So in hindsight, has it answered anything about the first fight?

I'd say it just showed that AJ couldn't trade with Ruiz and lost because he tried to. It hasn't made it a fluke or meant that AJ was underprepared, Ruiz always looked dangerous and AJ completely changed as a result.

I'd still like to see Ruiz-Wilder, think he'd give him real problems.

Predictable . Smart from Josh , clever boxing and I thought a polished performance . I like this style and it shows he’s adaptable ... Ruiz was a total disgrace . Amazingly fat , could hardly be bothered to train and got what  he deserved . Obviously satisfied with his five minutes of fame 

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Predictable . Smart from Josh , clever boxing and I thought a polished performance . I like this style and it shows he’s adaptable ... Ruiz was a total disgrace . Amazingly fat , could hardly be bothered to train and got what  he deserved . Obviously satisfied with his five minutes of fame 

I'm flabbergasted that he was so lax, it demonstrates either a complete lack of discipline or disrespect for AJ.

If I was Hearn and AJ I'd stay away from the rematch: winning wouldn't enhance his reputation and he'd spend another 12 rounds under constant threat of being KO'd.

It was galling to listen to Ruiz talk about making mistakes in his preparation and putting on too much weight. He was basically saying give him another chance and a 3rd fight and he'll try much harder and you will see a different fighter. Hearn's face said it all when he was asked about a 3rd fight. It's not going to happen. There is nothing in it for AJ going back there and everything to lose.

46 minutes ago, Damien said:

It was galling to listen to Ruiz talk about making mistakes in his preparation and putting on too much weight. He was basically saying give him another chance and a 3rd fight and he'll try much harder and you will see a different fighter. Hearn's face said it all when he was asked about a 3rd fight. It's not going to happen. There is nothing in it for AJ going back there and everything to lose.

Did you see the face on his trainer though? Said it all .  Saying he wants a third fight and I’ll train honest I  will , sounded ridiculous 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Just now, DavidM said:

Did you see the face on his trainer though? Said it all .  Saying he wants a third fight and I’ll train honest I will sounded ridiculous 

Its annoying when you've shelled out £25 to watch a fight and then one fighter doesn't give himself a chance. As much as anything Hearn will know once bitten twice shy when it comes to fans and the money will not be there for a third fight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm flabbergasted that he was so lax, it demonstrates either a complete lack of discipline or disrespect for AJ.

If I was Hearn and AJ I'd stay away from the rematch: winning wouldn't enhance his reputation and he'd spend another 12 rounds under constant threat of being KO'd.

I find myself a little unsure.

I know very little of the professional game, so I ask your opinion. I did think AJ got the titles a little early and still had to improve. I actually thought a loss might be the best thing, as being champion seemed to lead to him stagnating. To be honest, he seems to have gone backwards a little. I used to think those (Americans) who saw Wilder as the far better boxer were nuts, I am not so sure now.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I would say Joshua is technically superior to Wilder as a boxer as is Tyson Fury.

Even in victory, Deontay Wilder has been largely been outboxed when in with top ten opponents, but he probably carries the heaviest punch in boxing.

The big question is probably over who is more durable out of Joshua or Wilder?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I find myself a little unsure.

I know very little of the professional game, so I ask your opinion. I did think AJ got the titles a little early and still had to improve. I actually thought a loss might be the best thing, as being champion seemed to lead to him stagnating. To be honest, he seems to have gone backwards a little. I used to think those (Americans) who saw Wilder as the far better boxer were nuts, I am not so sure now.

AJ is easily a better boxer than Wilder, he just has the great leveller that is his right hand.

I think he probably beats AJ because his chin isn't great and it's not like he's as evasive as Fury.

He has changed but I'm not sure he's got worse, he's just more cautious. He likes to go in for the kill but has been caught out doing this a few too many times. This would be his undoing against Wilder who I think would try to get him out early.

That said, unless he retires, I feel Wilder's Ruiz moment is just a matter of time.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Its annoying when you've shelled out £25 to watch a fight and then one fighter doesn't give himself a chance.

Good point . Be nice of him to tell us he could hardly be ar$ed rather than all the snake oil salesman stuff . He should get some money took off and refunded to us . 25 quid is a total disgrace anyway , pure greed 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Ruiz looked like he'd been living off the fat of the land. He performed as if he hadn't envisaged a fight different in nature from the first contest, despite his pronouncements in the run up to the fight about  how he expected Joshua would box and how he was ready tactically.

Wilder Vs Fury II is on.  22nd of Feb.  Hopefully it will tee up a big fight for Joshua later in the year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!