I just saw some highlights and I really like the look of Big Josh when he’s being aggressive , he has an excellent array of punches and a signature upper cut ( Vladimir still having nightmares about it ) . I feel though he can drift at times and be overly cautious . Maybe he was stung by the Ruiz debacle , maybe it’s the instructions he gets to pace himself , but in a fight like that against a plodder who’s tough he should be putting it to bed when he first had him going . It’s like he’s caught at times between two styles .  As I say I only caught the highlights . 

The fight with Tyson SIMPLY MUST HAPPEN . No ifs no buts , Arum and Warren and Fast Eddie may not like each other but the pound signs are colossal here , they could charge 40 quid for this and it’ll sell huge . And it’s the biggest british  fight ever and the biggest heavyweight fight in a generation . I can’t wait for it . 

Prediction ? I won’t bet against Tyson again . He has off the scale mental strength and self belief and I think he has more dimensions , I think he’s just a total freak like Lennox was . I see he’s 1/2 on and I’d say that’s about right . Instinctively I’ll be cheering for him but how massive will that occasion be . They could sell out a football ground 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

I just saw some highlights and I really like the look of Big Josh when he’s being aggressive , he has an excellent array of punches and a signature upper cut ( Vladimir still having nightmares about it ) . I feel though he can drift at times and be overly cautious . Maybe he was stung by the Ruiz debacle , maybe it’s the instructions he gets to pace himself , but in a fight like that against a plodder who’s tough he should be putting it to bed when he first had him going . It’s like he’s caught at times between two styles .  As I say I only caught the highlights . 

The fight with Tyson SIMPLY MUST HAPPEN . No ifs no buts , Arum and Warren and Fast Eddie may not like each other but the pound signs are colossal here , they could charge 40 quid for this and it’ll sell huge . And it’s the biggest british  fight ever and the biggest heavyweight fight in a generation . I can’t wait for it . 

Prediction ? I won’t bet against Tyson again . He has off the scale mental strength and self belief and I think he has more dimensions , I think he’s just a total freak like Lennox was . I see he’s 1/2 on and I’d say that’s about right . Instinctively I’ll be cheering for him but how massive will that occasion be . They could sell out a football ground 

I think there's genuine will on both sides for it to happen, but there are obstacles especially to it being held in this country.

The biggest problem I can see is Wilder. He's spent years getting in the way of heavyweight unification and he's still causing problems from the boxing grave. I just have a feeling a court might order a 3rd fight. Warren & Co were so confident that the deadline had passed, but last time Warren was asked about it he said it was in the hands of a mediator in the states. Surely if it was so clear cut, that wouldn't be a possibility. 

That aside, they've said they need a crowd for it to be financially viable. That might rule out the UK with Covid.

With regards the fight, the best Fury beats the best AJ but there's plenty of scope for error. I don't subscribe to this idea that Fury is somehow unbeatable by the current crop of heavyweights. He's had a number of times where he hasn't performed at his best, and if that happens to be against AJ then he could be defeated or KO'd. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus

On 13/12/2020 at 00:10, voteronniegibbs said:

Fury is going to pull AJ's pants down and take his virginity.

Take your fanfic elsewhere

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

What do people think is the biggesy e er british fight and where woukd Joshua and Fury rank?

British wise it has to be the biggest ever.

There haven't been many huge all-British affairs in my lifetime: I'm thinking Benn-Eubank 2 and Bruno-Lewis are the standouts and this would be much bigger. 

• Like 1

Biggest ever I’d say . Being a heavyweight clash between two world champions , for the undisputed title just can’t be bettered . And two guys who are boxing superstars already , it’s a fantastic mix . Imagine if it was on terrestrial tv ? That undoubtedly elevated Benn - Eubank to iconic status beyond boxing , the figures on ITV were truly colossal .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Benn v Eubank 1 & 2 were epic events, the animosity was real. 

On terrestrial TV too, let's not forget. And at a time when there were fewer channels overall, even on cable/satellite. Those fights were massive across the population and nearly everyone I knew had an opinion about the two fighters and how it would play out.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 14/12/2020 at 20:01, Maximus Decimus said:

There haven't been many huge all-British affairs in my lifetime: I'm thinking Benn-Eubank 2 and Bruno-Lewis are the standouts and this would be much bigger. 

With both Tyson vs Bruno and Bruno vs Lewis, we knew who would win.

But, boxing was bigger.

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 14/12/2020 at 19:01, Maximus Decimus said:

Will definitely be in Dubai then.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 13/12/2020 at 18:20, DavidM said:

Maybe he was stung by the Ruiz debacle , maybe it’s the instructions he gets to pace himself , but in a fight like that against a plodder who’s tough he should be putting it to bed when he first had him going . It’s like he’s caught at times between two styles .  As I say I only caught the highlights . 

I listened to the radio commentary (old school?  Or just cheap).  And they suggested that Joshua seemed to turn on and off.  With periods when he stepped back.  They were all surprised he didn't go harder after the first knock down.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

17 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

With the ring walk commencing at 3am.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

With the ring walk commencing at 3am.

Sounds about right 😂

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

If they can't get a crowd in the UK, it'll definitely be somewhere else.

With Fury's American profile I suspect it will be at stupid O'Clock too. 

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

With both Tyson vs Bruno and Bruno vs Lewis, we knew who would win.

But, boxing was bigger.

It's hard to compare the two eras I think.

Bruno vs Lewis was huge at the time, but only attended by 25,000 and far short of a sellout. It's no exaggeration to think that were there enough seats available with a view, AJ-Fury could hit 150-200,000.

Boxing on the whole may be smaller but society has changed to where single events are more important. This event would be hyped beyond belief, and the vast majority of those watching wouldn't be boxing fans. 

Look at the US where boxing is considerably smaller than it was during the Tyson era. However, just a few years ago Mayweather-Pacquiao got way more PPV buys than any Tyson fight. It also got 4 times more than any other genuine boxing event since. It was the event that people bought into.

I think we'd see the British equivalent with AJ-Fury. 

• Like 2

To move from AJ-Fury for a second, I'm finding it somewhat bizarre how low - profile Smith-Canelo is.

Obviously times are strange but this is one of the best British fighters against the world's most high profile boxer. He's underdog but not hopelessly outclassed.

For some perspective, even the Liverpool Echo doesn't have anything 3 days out from the fight.

Maybe it's fatigue from a few big fights over the last few weekends, but I'm not really feeling it either. I'll get it (£1.99 for DAZN for a month is ridiculous, especially with Campbell-Garcia in 2 weeks) but there's zero chance I'll stay up for it. 

12 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

To move from AJ-Fury for a second, I'm finding it somewhat bizarre how low - profile Smith-Canelo is.

Obviously times are strange but this is one of the best British fighters against the world's most high profile boxer. He's underdog but not hopelessly outclassed.

For some perspective, even the Liverpool Echo doesn't have anything 3 days out from the fight.

Maybe it's fatigue from a few big fights over the last few weekends, but I'm not really feeling it either. I'll get it (£1.99 for DAZN for a month is ridiculous, especially with Campbell-Garcia in 2 weeks) but there's zero chance I'll stay up for it. 

I couldn’t agree more . I’m getting DAZN for this ( GGG fights the day before ) , I think it’s huge . Amazing there’s not more on this , and a real shame sky aren’t all over it 

15 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's hard to compare the two eras I think.

Bruno vs Lewis was huge at the time, but only attended by 25,000 and far short of a sellout. It's no exaggeration to think that were there enough seats available with a view, AJ-Fury could hit 150-200,000.

Boxing on the whole may be smaller but society has changed to where single events are more important. This event would be hyped beyond belief, and the vast majority of those watching wouldn't be boxing fans. 

Look at the US where boxing is considerably smaller than it was during the Tyson era. However, just a few years ago Mayweather-Pacquiao got way more PPV buys than any Tyson fight. It also got 4 times more than any other genuine boxing event since. It was the event that people bought into.

I think we'd see the British equivalent with AJ-Fury. 

It is tricky to compare. Crowds for sports events were generally far smaller. Top flight football would regularly get four figure crowds rather than more. Rugby league crowds were also much smaller. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014