27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not in the pros . I think there are parameters like 16 feet square to 24 feet square , but within that you can  work it out between participants camps . Obviously a fighter like Canelo wants a smaller ring while a boxer mover like Saunders wants a bigger ring 

I didn't know that  -  back on the main forum RL is ridiculed for different pitch sizes, but they don't vary as much as that % wise

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I didn't know that  -  back on the main forum RL is ridiculed for different pitch sizes, but they don't vary as much as that % wise

Yeh it's part of the crazy shenanigans that go on in the world of pro-boxing. 

Fury famously walked away the day of the Klitschko fight because they'd put a layer of foam under the canvas. They soon got rid but it does make you wonder if they hadn't caved, what legacy would Fury have now? He might have been in the right but he'd have never had that career defining fight. 

Although the ring size it is apparently in the contract, I do fear that Saunders is playing hardball only for the fight to collapse and his one opportunity for greatness passes him by. 

Let's be honest Floyd Mayweather is doing it for a big payout, But Logan Paul will probably want to kill his little bro (Jake) for winding Floyd up.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 04/05/2021 at 21:06, DavidM said:

Yeh i read that . We know guys like Klitschko and Canelo will put you in your place when you travel to their ground but youve just gotta be ready for it , soak it up and get on with it . You just want to see him do what Smith didnt do and Yildirim couldnt do , and turn up and give his all rather than just be given a beat down 

Hi, the Joys of Boxing, just as we are trying to reduce head injuries in later life, someone thinks it is OK to KO, a neurological health problem to support fighting.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Hi, the Joys of Boxing, just as we are trying to reduce head injuries in later life, someone thinks it is OK to KO, a neurological health problem to support fighting.

Remember Ali trying to light the Olympic flame?

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

It's about choice. Boxers make the choice to do what they do, they know it's dangerous and have always known it's dangerous. Getting punched in the head and body has never been something that people thought was anything but dangerous. Being punch drunk is not a new phenomenon. 

This is the fundamental difference with rugby, football and NFL sports like that. People getting involved in rugby didn't think that they might suffer from dementia if they took part. It's far harder for a boxer to make that argument. 

There are many dangerous and risky jobs, boxing is one of them but people choose to do it and that's their right. And we have the right to enjoy it. It is exactly the mixture of skill and brutality that I find so interesting. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's about choice. Boxers make the choice to do what they do, they know it's dangerous and have always known it's dangerous. Getting punched in the head and body has never been something that people thought was anything but dangerous. Being punch drunk is not a new phenomenon. 

This is the fundamental difference with rugby, football and NFL sports like that. People getting involved in rugby didn't think that they might suffer from dementia if they took part. It's far harder for a boxer to make that argument. 

There are many dangerous and risky jobs, boxing is one of them but people choose to do it and that's their right. And we have the right to enjoy it. It is exactly the mixture of skill and brutality that I find so interesting. 

Boxers make a choice, so do Rugby players, and soccer players head injuries, talk to Ice Hockey players.

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Boxers make a choice, so do Rugby players, and soccer players head injuries, talk to Ice Hockey players.

Until very recently, nobody thought rugby or football meant you would have serious issues later in life with memory etc. 

This wasn't ever true in boxing, so the comparison fails. There has always been the immediate risk of serious injury, yet they take that risk and are often very hansomely rewarded for it. 

Contact sports will have to adapt to accepting that it is a choice/risk playing the game, or eventually end up being radically sterilised in a bid to make it safe enough to play without injury. 

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

DAZN’s US commentary team practically accusing Saunders of cowardice or not having ‘gears’ because he quits with a broken eye socket - what idiots!

Disgusting , at least Froch tried to speak up for him . You could see the depression in his cheek , that kind of fracture can lead to very serious damage if you fight on . Equally disappointing that some other ‘experts ‘ and fighters , way worse than BJ , clamber to call him out before knowing the full extent of his injury . On the fight it reinforces the view that BJ is the type of fighter to beat Canelo . Canelo is hard, spiteful  and direct but he can be outboxed and he can be made to look one dimensional and not that great . I didn’t think he was that impressive and it’s a shame because BJ was doing fine . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Disgusting , at least Froch tried to speak up for him . You could see the depression in his cheek , that kind of fracture can lead to very serious damage if you fight on . Equally disappointing that some other ‘experts ‘ and fighters , way worse than BJ , clamber to call him out before knowing the full extent of his injury . On the fight it reinforces the view that BJ is the type of fighter to beat Canelo . Canelo is hard, spiteful  and direct but he can be outboxed and he can be made to look one dimensional and not that great . I didn’t think he was that impressive and it’s a shame because BJ was doing fine . 

It was certainly a disappointing end to the fight. As soon as I saw the injury in the corner, I turned to the missus and said the fight will be stopped. I didn't think it was going to end there and then, but it was clear that the speed with which it had closed up was going to make the fight unsustainable. 

I absolutely don't blame him pulling out, his cheek was clearly sunken and it could have caused serious damage. The problem he has is that he was one of the biggest critics of Dubois, and he's getting little sympathy.

He was doing well, and making a fight of it. It was certainly a difference from Yildrim and Smith who looked beat and overawed before they started. I'm not sure he was winning, and I suspect Canelo was upping the pace. The problem with fighting Canelo is that he is like the immovable object, there was literally zero chance of BJS getting a stoppage. 

Regardless of what we think, he was going to lose the fight. 2 judges had Canelo 4 rounds up and 1 had him 2 up. At least the TKO stopped the usual robbery headlines from surfacing. 

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Tbh from what I've read about Saunders and stuff he has done in the past, personally glad he lost.

Yes there’s no doubt he’s not done himself any favours and has conducted himself poorly . He’s also a bit of a gob on him which means sympathy for him in some quarters has been limited .

Fast Eddie says he’s in hospital and will be ‘ out a long time ‘ ... and next in the queue of brits to lose to Canelo is Young Eubank , who of course has the formula to win 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Disgusting , at least Froch tried to speak up for him . You could see the depression in his cheek , that kind of fracture can lead to very serious damage if you fight on

True, but Sauders himself mocked Daniel Dubois for quiting with the same injury while fighting Joe Joyce. But Dubois boxed on for 6 rounds before taking a knee. 

It is out of order to call out any boxer for quiting such a tough sport with a serious facial injury, but the irony is that Saunders himself did just that.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

True, but Sauders himself mocked Daniel Dubois for quiting with the same injury while fighting Joe Joyce. But Dubois boxed on for 6 rounds before taking a knee. 

It is out of order to call out any boxer for quiting such a tough sport with a serious facial injury, but the irony is that Saunders himself did just that.

He did . He’s a gob$bite let’s be honest , and these things can come back to bite you in boxing . Best just to keep shtum 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He did . He’s a gob$bite let’s be honest , and these things can come back to bite you in boxing . Best just to keep shtum 

Exactly. You can make all the pronouncements you like about never quitting, but you can't ever plan for a caved-in cheekbone. It's not like having a broken arm, or a foot injury or even being concussed. Who knows what panic a broken cheekbone could bring on, especially as its going to repeatedly be punched again.

Most people wouldn't be too harsh on him if he hadn't been such an idiot to Dubois. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So the fight the world wants to see looks like it's going to be derailed by a 3rd fight nobody wants to see.

Wilder will be remembered for 2 things, being an enormous puncher and being the constant barrier to getting an undisputed heavyweight world champion. 

• Like 2

Weird how they announced the fight and almost immediately this decision comes about. Was this decision always scheduled for now, but the promoters announced the fight days before anyway? Or was the decision brought forward in response to the fight being announced?

Either way, I expect Wilder will be given a sweetener (cash/promise of fighting the winner next year, etc.) to let the fight go ahead.

I haven't paid to watch Boxing since Tyson v Holyfield in the mid 90's, but I might do for Fury v Joshua.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

is that a TV Channel ? I can’t see it on my planner 

It’s not a tv channel although you might be able to download the app on a device.

It’s a live streaming subscription channel that also does PPV.

I think they’re charging £12.99 for this fight.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/sport/boxing/882347/josh-taylor-vs-jose-ramirez-date-uk-start-time-undercard-live-stream-tv-channel/amp/

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s not a tv channel although you might be able to download the app on a device.

It’s a live streaming subscription channel that also does PPV.

I think they’re charging £12.99 for this fight.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/sport/boxing/882347/josh-taylor-vs-jose-ramirez-date-uk-start-time-undercard-live-stream-tv-channel/amp/

Ok thanks . I’m a bit surprised this isn’t on a big network , it’s a really big  fight . I know channel 5 have followed Taylor a lot 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Weird how they announced the fight and almost immediately this decision comes about. Was this decision always scheduled for now, but the promoters announced the fight days before anyway? Or was the decision brought forward in response to the fight being announced?

Either way, I expect Wilder will be given a sweetener (cash/promise of fighting the winner next year, etc.) to let the fight go ahead.

I haven't paid to watch Boxing since Tyson v Holyfield in the mid 90's, but I might do for Fury v Joshua.

I can't see it going ahead. Wilder will want the rematch I reckon, not sure Fury will give it him though after the whole gloves thing. Looking like stalemate.

What a monumental cock-up though. Amazingly, American boxing fans are trying to make out like Hearn knew it all along and has been playing us for fools.