Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So if you're a betting man, get your money on Fury because IMO the odds are ridiculously even.

Here's why. To state the obvious, Fury is the naturally bigger man with an elusive style. The chances of Usyk knocking him out are incredibly slim, so therefore he'd need to win a decision. Because of the size difference and Fury's awkward style, he is unlikely to dominate as obviously as he did in say the first AJ fight.

This opens the door to a dodgy decision. All the interested parties would favour a Fury win, after all there is the even more lucrative AJ fight on the cards. 

Therefore, it seems likely that Usyk would have to dominate Fury to get the decision and I can't see this happening. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Absolutely hilarious last night at the weigh-in.

Fury weighed in at an expected 262lbs which is quite light for him. Usyk steps up at 233.5lbs, 12lbs heavier than ever before. Pundits are going crazy, calling it madness with some even changing their predictions. After all, he'll lose some speed and will tire later etc.

Turns out that Buffer heard them wrong and he was actually 223.1lbs so pretty much spot on 😅. Tbf some pundits were questioning where he had put it cos he looked no different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple of notable undercard victories for British boxers tonight on the undercard of Fury-Usyk.

Mark Chamberlain demolished again his opponent at middleweight and Moses Itauma chinned his opponent to the deck at heavyweight.

Looking forward to seeing Joe Cordina later too before the main event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shock defeat for Joe Cordina on the undercard with a whiff of controversy after he took a heavy blow to the head when the referee called break early in the 3rd round.

To be fair to Anthony Cacace of NI, he did a number on Cordina from there on in until the ref finally stopped it a few rounds later.

Maybe a future rematch in the offing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Usyk won the first few rounds then Fury appeared to be establishing himself comfortably in the middle rounds.

Suddenly Usyk connected with a hook causing facial damage to Fury and soon caught him again with a terrific shot and he eventually took a count.

Despite swarming all over Fury, whose legs were doing the funky chicken as he staggered around the ropes across the ring, the big man was eventually saved by the bell.

Then with his amazing powers of recovery Fury probably claimed 1 or 2 of the latter rounds of the fight.

But it was not to be enough as Usyk deservedly won the fight on a split decision by one round.

He pressured Fury early on forcing him back, faded a little towards the middle of the fight, but came back again and looked to have the best of the exchanges by closing the gap preventing Fury from just sitting at range behind his jab.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Usyk excellent , clear winner . Strange tactics from Tyson . He had to force the fight and push the smaller man back and control things but he didn’t . He did for two or three rounds but otherwise he was to lazy , to reactive , to passive . His shots didn’t look heavy , he didn’t work enough and Usyk came on and on and on and thoroughly deserved it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep - thought Uysk was the clear winner with Fury only clearly winning rounds 4-5-6. Uysk is a brilliant boxer. Thoroughly deserved. 

 But I will add, whilst I know it was (hopefully) showmanship to sell the rematch, Fury’s comments on the judges giving the result due to the war were disgusting. What an absolute classless man. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Yep - thought Uysk was the clear winner with Fury only clearly winning rounds 4-5-6. Uysk is a brilliant boxer. Thoroughly deserved. 

 But I will add, whilst I know it was (hopefully) showmanship to sell the rematch, Fury’s comments on the judges giving the result due to the war were disgusting. What an absolute classless man. 

What is about British fighters embarrassing themselves after losing to Usyk. Fury just sounded thick making it about Ukraine.

What a great fight. Usyk started well but then Fury looked like he was schooling him and I thought it was becoming likely he would stop him. 

It's a bit of blur but I don't know how Usyk turned the tide. He very nearly stopped him and boy was Fury gone. His walk back to the corner was that of a defeated man.

Somehow he recovered, but I thought was still losing the rounds. Usyk came close to stopping both AJ and Fury but took his foot off the gas both times.

Roll on the rematch...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

A huge positive from the Uysk win last night is we don’t have to listen to the rubbish that Fury is the GOAT anymore. 

Fury is a clown and there was an aspect of comeuppance last night.

One thing I don't agree with is people making out like it proves he's rubbish. He gave Usyk a real fight and at one point was bossing it. I actually think that he demonstrated with little doubt that he'd beat AJ.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As there has been some controversy on the scorecards, I watched it again and it was actually by enlarge a very easy fight to call.

1-2nd Undoubtedly Usyk

3rd Harder to call. I still gave it to Usyk.

4-7th Fury won convincingly

8-10th No doubt Usyk dominated

11th More even but still quite comfortably Usyk

12th A lot gave it to Fury and it was close, again I thought Usyk.

On my scorecard, it was 116-111. Even if you give the 3rd and 12th to Fury it was 114-113.

Best man won. Most eye-catching shots were from Usyk and he pressured the whole fight.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Usyk excellent , clear winner . Strange tactics from Tyson . He had to force the fight and push the smaller man back and control things but he didn’t . He did for two or three rounds but otherwise he was to lazy , to reactive , to passive . His shots didn’t look heavy , he didn’t work enough and Usyk came on and on and on and thoroughly deserved it 

I think we all expected a lot of leaning on (and his dad was calling for it) but he bizarrely did very little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I think we all expected a lot of leaning on (and his dad was calling for it) but he bizarrely did very little.

Whats his dad doing ? He has a trainer and he’s leaning over the ropes screaming instructions , more than  once completely contrary to what the  trainer was saying . For instance before the last round he’s telling him to take no chances which i found bizarre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

A huge positive from the Uysk win last night is we don’t have to listen to the rubbish that Fury is the GOAT anymore. 

Oh, we will. 

  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Lot of talk from people saying they don't think the rematch will happen.

Fury will probably retreat to the 'it was a robbery' line.

Fury's very much a man of our times. Like Donald Trump.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terrific fight. I haven't enjoyed a boxing match as much as that for years. Glad I made the last minute decision to buy it, after discovering there wasn't any UK radio coverage.

I thought Usyk was the worthy winner - not sure why Fury thought he had won most of the rounds, but he would do better to concentrate solely on fighting, rather than clowning around because he thinks (wrongly) that he's in control.

I certainly thought Fury was fortunate in the (I think) 9th when he got a ten count while still leaning on the ropes, before being saved by the bell. Had the referee not intervened there, Usyk would surely have landed a knockout punch. Credit to Fury though for prolonging that moment long enough to get to that point - many a fighter would have hit the canvas after that flurry of punches.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Fury's very much a man of our times. Like Donald Trump.

He’d beat Fury and Usyk in one night , if you asked him 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ouch!

 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ouch!

 

The big question at the moment seems to be whether this is Wilder having lost his mojo, or whether he's finally fighting better opposition and being found out.

It has to be a bit of both but for me definitely more likely to be the second. Earlier Wilder was incredibly aggressive (watch Wilder-Harrison), and he truly would've been a handful for anyone simply because of his punching power. However, had he fought the best somebody would have eventually caught him because he was also very exposed.

However, take the 3 Fury fights away, none of which he won, and who is the best on his record, when he was he at his peak? Ortiz? In both of those fights he struggled and had to use a get out of jail free card. He'd landed a whopping 33 punches in 7 rounds of the second fight.

Ortiz has ended up being no real name at all. He simply hasn't fought people with the records of Parker or Zhang so it is impossible to say how he'd have done. Fury proved that his chin was never all that.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The big question at the moment seems to be whether this is Wilder having lost his mojo, or whether he's finally fighting better opposition and being found out.

It has to be a bit of both but for me definitely more likely to be the second. Earlier Wilder was incredibly aggressive (watch Wilder-Harrison), and he truly would've been a handful for anyone simply because of his punching power. However, had he fought the best somebody would have eventually caught him because he was also very exposed.

However, take the 3 Fury fights away, none of which he won, and who is the best on his record, when he was he at his peak? Ortiz? In both of those fights he struggled and had to use a get out of jail free card. He'd landed a whopping 33 punches in 7 rounds of the second fight.

Ortiz has ended up being no real name at all. He simply hasn't fought people with the records of Parker or Zhang so it is impossible to say how he'd have done. Fury proved that his chin was never all that.

 

 

Wilder never a great technical boxer and have seen him struggle even at his peak.

Surely he’s finished now.

Dubois, Zhang and Joseph Parker meanwhile have taken their chances to reinvent themselves after earlier setbacks.

The thaw in relations between Hearn and Warren in the face of petrodollars is definitely producing better boxing cards for fight fans at PPV level too.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deontay's mum weighs in, and I think she's got a point. No point in him becoming the new Shannon Briggs and just being embarrassed everywhere.

 

  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.