Jump to content

Recommended Posts


Test Cricket - Bloody Hell !

Virat Kohli has made two mistakes which have shifted momentum England's way in the series

  1. Winning the toss and batting when she should have bowled
  2. Not bringing in Ravi Ashwin.

The sound of a slamming door is the end of Dom Suibley's test career. Hameed has already shown enough in this innings to warrant being persisted with for a while.

I would make the point though that India were rolled for 36 in Adelaide ... and won the series, which I still expect them to do against England.

Big session coming up tomorrow morning if England get a lead of 200 plus then it's going to be had to se India save this game.

 

Quote

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I would make the point though that India were rolled for 36 in Adelaide ... and won the series, which I still expect them to do against England.

Regards this match though - apparently this is the 26th time that the openers of the side batting second have gone past the all out total of the side batting first. In 24 of those previous 25 times, that led to a win for that team, usually by an inninings.

Be interesting to see how India, in particular, play this from now on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I would make the point though that India were rolled for 36 in Adelaide ... and won the series, which I still expect them to do against England.

2014 England v India. 1st test drawn at Trent Bridge, 2nd test at Lords won by India after dreadful England captaincy on the fifth day. 3rd test a big win for England and England go on to win the series 3-1

2021 England v India. 1st test drawn at Trent Bridge, 2nd test at Lords won by India after dreadful England captaincy on the fifth day.  Maybe...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I normally do not agree with Jonathan Liew but old "marmite's" article in the New Statesman is spot on.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sport/2021/08/how-hundred-has-changed-cricket

Mind you, this bit aged quickly: "Meanwhile, the men’s Test team, which for all its travails is still English cricket’s biggest money spinner, is in free-fall."

  • Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

England 182 for 2 at lunch. Nice.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the TMS commentary around lunchtime - this is the first time since 2013 where all the first four England batsmen have made over 30.

If Malan gets nine more, then all four will have made a half-century, and when's the last time that happened? I'm sure Andy Zaltzman is on the case.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I normally do not agree with Jonathan Liew but old "marmite's" article in the New Statesman is spot on.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sport/2021/08/how-hundred-has-changed-cricket

Hampshire played their first match starting on 8th April. We are due to finish our last game on 24th September. That's around 170 days. The Hundred took about 30 days out of that, leaving around 140 days. That's a lot of time for the Counties to play games and attract audiences. The challenge is to find a place for and make the most of a variety of different events and forms of cricket.

I, and it would appear plenty of others, want to watch the best of the best. You don't get that with 18 counties playing T20 matches. There is a place for that, but there is also a place for an elite competition like The Hundred, bringing some of the best players and coaches in the world to England for a 30 day period. It's not taking over the whole season, and it's putting cricket in the spotlight. In a world dominated by football, it's great seeing cricket getting so much focus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

From the TMS commentary around lunchtime - this is the first time since 2013 where all the first four England batsmen have made over 30.

If Malan gets nine more, then all four will have made a half-century, and when's the last time that happened? I'm sure Andy Zaltzman is on the case.

In the end, they all made at least 60!

298 for 3 at tea.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Root gets his century, to the delight of the Headingley crowd.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Hampshire played their first match starting on 8th April. We are due to finish our last game on 24th September. That's around 170 days. The Hundred took about 30 days out of that, leaving around 140 days. That's a lot of time for the Counties to play games and attract audiences. The challenge is to find a place for and make the most of a variety of different events and forms of cricket.

I, and it would appear plenty of others, want to watch the best of the best. You don't get that with 18 counties playing T20 matches. There is a place for that, but there is also a place for an elite competition like The Hundred, bringing some of the best players and coaches in the world to England for a 30 day period. It's not taking over the whole season, and it's putting cricket in the spotlight. In a world dominated by football, it's great seeing cricket getting so much focus.

Yep. Surely some of his own words undermine his opposition to the concept somewhat. 

“The irony here was that the cricket largely sold itself. Even with many of the planned overseas stars absent due to Covid concerns, the eight city-based franchises produced a concentrated and consistently high standard of competition. “

That’s the whole point of a franchise competition 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be interesting to see how the Hundred gets on when they have to start charging proper cricket prices rather than heavily subsidised ones.  Can’t see it staying on FTA broadcasts in the long term either.  Would love the concept to die, but I understand that the ECB have bet the house on this for reasons both laudable and less laudable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Be interesting to see how the Hundred gets on when they have to start charging proper cricket prices rather than heavily subsidised ones.  Can’t see it staying on FTA broadcasts in the long term either.  Would love the concept to die, but I understand that the ECB have bet the house on this for reasons both laudable and less laudable.

There was a bit of sports TV overload this July, with the Olympics vying for public attention. They need to keep the Hundred on FTA for a few more years at least, to embed it in the public consciousness.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Hampshire played their first match starting on 8th April. We are due to finish our last game on 24th September. That's around 170 days. The Hundred took about 30 days out of that, leaving around 140 days. That's a lot of time for the Counties to play games and attract audiences. The challenge is to find a place for and make the most of a variety of different events and forms of cricket.

I, and it would appear plenty of others, want to watch the best of the best. You don't get that with 18 counties playing T20 matches. There is a place for that, but there is also a place for an elite competition like The Hundred, bringing some of the best players and coaches in the world to England for a 30 day period. It's not taking over the whole season, and it's putting cricket in the spotlight. In a world dominated by football, it's great seeing cricket getting so much focus.

£15m loss.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me the hundred was totally unnecessary , a layer that just wasnt needed . Put all that time money effort into the Blast , it was already there in front of you and it was a success

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

To me the hundred was totally unnecessary , a layer that just wasnt needed . Put all that time money effort into the Blast , it was already there in front of you and it was a success

They needed a product that wasn't already an exclusive Sky property, so they could do a deal involving FTA. Whether it really had to be a new version of the game, instead of a franchised T20 tournament, I don't know, but it muddies the waters. The latter option would have been at least as marketable, in my opinion.

  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It depends what you’re arguing needed doing and why?

I'm giving you a blank sheet of paper. You get to decide if anything needed doing, or whether you would just have continued with everything as it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

How much money are you giving me and what are the problems you’re looking to fix?

What I think and want is an irrelevance. Imagine it's 2017 and you're 'Supreme Commander' of English cricket. Sanjay Patel has just presented to you his idea for The Hundred, and you've decided it's rubbish and not something you want to do.

What, if anything, are you going to do instead? Just assume that cost wise you can do whatever structure or events that you want. The only problems to be fixed are the ones that you think need fixing. If you want to conclude that there are none and that everything should continue unchanged, that's fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...