3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Well, we've got Lords out of the way, which seems to have become the accustomed "away win" ground for Test series.

Oval and Old Trafford are good tracks  that should also take some tweak so Ashwin should come in you’d think . I think we may look at Curran’s role . The good thing is it’s unpredictable … we could win by an innings then lose by an innings . It’s very fascinating viewing 

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

On one hand you’re saying orthodox ‘superfans’ are limiting your fun, but on the other you seem to be demanding special rights for the Hundred in the calendar and getting upset whenever it comes in for criticism like some kind of superfan - it is a tad ironic don’t you think?

Special rights? It's 30 days, that's all. And if you're going to do it, it surely has to be scheduled in a prominent position, or there's not much point in introducing something new and spending money on it? Or should they just do it half-assed and play it in April?

Just now, 17 stone giant said:

Special rights? It's 30 days, that's all. And if you're going to do it, it surely has to be scheduled in a prominent position, or there's not much point in introducing something new and spending money on it? Or should they just do it half-assed and play it in April?

Kill it altogether and focus on the T20.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Kill it altogether and focus on the T20.

So, when I tell you that the reason I watched The Hundred is because of the smaller number of teams, smaller number of fixtures, smaller time period, one game per day, etc. it all goes completely over your head?

Your response is no, you can't have that. You and all the people that embraced the month long event are wrong. Instead, I've got to have only the T20 in the format that you decide.

Even though I haven't followed the T20 Blast for 15 or so years, you're determined that I can't have the cricket tournament that I did engage with and did spend my time and money on, and instead can only have one that I'm not so interested in and haven't spent money on for years.

So, how many games is it going to be? Are you going for 2 x 10 conferences and 180 games, like GingerJon? Because I've already told him, I'm not so interested in following an event of that length. But whereas I'm in favour of having both The Hundred and the T20 Blast, you will allow only what you think is right.

I'm glad that you're nothing to do with the ECB.

13 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think that point is passed and was passed when 17 stone giant started taking quotes out of their context and started throwing insults around.

Not when someone compared the ECB to the Taliban?

There has been intemperate language on both sides, so don't cherrypick. We can all read previous posts.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Just now, 17 stone giant said:

So, when I tell you that the reason I watched The Hundred is because of the smaller number of teams, smaller number of fixtures, smaller time period, one game per day, etc. it all goes completely over your head?

Your response is no, you can't have that. You and all the people that embraced the month long event are wrong. Instead, I've got to have only the T20 in the format that you decide.

Even though I haven't followed the T20 Blast for 15 or so years, you're determined that I can't have the cricket tournament that I did engage with and did spend my time and money on, and instead can only have one that I'm not so interested in and haven't spent money on for years.

So, how many games is it going to be? Are you going for 2 x 10 conferences and 180 games, like GingerJon? Because I've already told him, I'm not so interested in following an event of that length. But whereas I'm in favour of having both The Hundred and the T20 Blast, you will allow only what you think is right.

I'm glad that you're nothing to do with the ECB.

I think you overestimate your own importance in this debate within the sport!

I'm saying that the emotive and hyperbolic language is not coming solely from the people you disagree with.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm saying that the emotive and hyperbolic language is not coming solely from the people you disagree with.

I’ve been busy and only just seen this thread in the last hour.

If you feel the need to intervene that’s fine and honourable.

But please take it up with the people who’ve made the comments rather than leave me to be insulted by 17 stone giant.

15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you overestimate your own importance in this debate within the sport!

Not at all. It's about everyone who has spent their time and money watching The Hundred. It's about cricket not turning its back on a new idea that has clearly proven popular.

Anyway, ultimately it's a pointless discussion. Next year there will be another Hundred. Some people will enjoy it. Some people will spend their time on forums saying why they hate it. Hopefully over time, the former will increase in number, and the latter will decrease. But we'll see.

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

Not at all. It's about everyone who has spent their time and money watching The Hundred. It's about cricket not turning its back on a new idea that has clearly proven popular.

Anyway, ultimately it's a pointless discussion. Next year there will be another Hundred. Some people will enjoy it. Some people will spend their time on forums saying why they hate it. Hopefully over time, the former will increase in number, and the latter will decrease. But we'll see.

Far from a pointless discussion if you have many years worth of emotional investment in the sport which we clearly both have.

My issue isn’t your passion for the Hundred, but the selected way you  misrepresented my original view by selectively quoting only part of it.

Maybe you are battle scarred from previous discussions here with others and/or elsewhere, but it’s best not to to assume mine will be exactly the same as others.  I know this is a mistake because I have made it myself.

With that though I do agree we should probably chill out for now on this subject and do battle again another time with perhaps more chivalry on both sides.

(I’m being told I have a really important Wonder Woman film to get back to!)

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Far from a pointless discussion if you have many years worth of emotional investment in the sport which we clearly both have.

I meant it's pointless from the perspective that neither of us work for the ECB and therefore we won't have any real say in the direction they go from here.

My issue isn’t your passion for the Hundred, but the selected way you  misrepresented my original view by selectively quoting only part of it.

I never intend to misrepresent anyone, so I apologise if I did so. It's just the nature of these discussions sometimes that you can end up merging one point into another, when the second point isn't actually relevant to what the person you're replying to said. I'm happy to admit I'm sometimes guilty of that - as I said earlier, the arrogance thing wasn't directed at you, that was a reaction to so many of the comments that I've read throughout The Hundred on the HYS section and elsewhere. The same old people going on after every game, just to say negative things. I'll just make one final point - people shouldn't mistake my support for The Hundred, as meaning that I don't recognise the problems, or that I think everything about it is absolutely perfect. Of course I don't. I wasn't a fan of the tv graphics, I didn't particularly like the website design, the music was sometimes a bit too frequent in the stadium. But my thinking always is, they can't ever please everyone, so rather than me focusing on the things that aren't perfect, I would much rather focus on the good things. I don't see what the point is in spending my time picking out all the faults and reasons not to like something. I'd rather see the positives in things.

Maybe you are battle scarred from previous discussions here with others and/or elsewhere, but it’s best not to to assume mine will be exactly the same as others.

No, I'm certainly not battle scarred. As I said, it's just something that happens sometimes when you're debating - you can bundle together a few points and send them all back at the wrong person, when only 1 might actually be relevant.

With that though I do agree we should probably chill out for now on this subject and do battle again another time with perhaps more chivalry on both sides.

I don't think it's been that bad, to be honest. I think the ECB Taliban thing was said tongue in cheek. I called Atlantis a Super Fan, but he partly deserved that for separating people into real fans and, by implication, not real fans. I think he'll cope with being called that, especially as he called someone else a lap poodle etc. 😉

I can understand Futtocks wanting to be sure that it doesn't escalate, but I think it was a storm in a teacup really.

If the Bradford Buddha (AKA John Drake) feels that we got a bit heated, I will respect his opinion and try to return to more peaceful ways. But hopefully he won't feel the need to disturb his Saturday night's Doctor Who viewing, in order to reign us all in.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I meant it's pointless from the perspective that neither of us work for the ECB and therefore we won't have any real say in the direction they go from here.

I never intend to misrepresent anyone, so I apologise if I did so. It's just the nature of these discussions sometimes that you can end up merging one point into another, when the second point isn't actually relevant to what the person you're replying to said. I'm happy to admit I'm sometimes guilty of that - as I said earlier, the arrogance thing wasn't directed at you, that was a reaction to so many of the comments that I've read throughout The Hundred on the HYS section and elsewhere. The same old people going on after every game, just to say negative things. I'll just make one final point - people shouldn't mistake my support for The Hundred, as meaning that I don't recognise the problems, or that I think everything about it is absolutely perfect. Of course I don't. I wasn't a fan of the tv graphics, I didn't particularly like the website design, the music was sometimes a bit too frequent in the stadium. But my thinking always is, they can't ever please everyone, so rather than me focusing on the things that aren't perfect, I would much rather focus on the good things. I don't see what the point is in spending my time picking out all the faults and reasons not to like something. I'd rather see the positives in things.

No, I'm certainly not battle scarred. As I said, it's just something that happens sometimes when you're debating - you can bundle together a few points and send them all back at the wrong person, when only 1 might actually be relevant.

I don't think it's been that bad, to be honest. I think the ECB Taliban thing was said tongue in cheek. I called Atlantis a Super Fan, but he partly deserved that for separating people into real fans and, by implication, not real fans. I think he'll cope with being called that, especially as he called someone else a lap poodle etc. 😉

I can understand Futtocks wanting to be sure that it doesn't escalate, but I think it was a storm in a teacup really.

If the Bradford Buddha (AKA John Drake) feels that we got a bit heated, I will respect his opinion and try to return to more peaceful ways. But hopefully he won't feel the need to disturb his Saturday night's Doctor Who viewing, in order to reign us all in.

Agreed.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Two CPL games on BT today. Still only playing out of one venue (St Kitts this time) but at least that venue does have some crowd in it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Because I've already told him, I'm not so interested in following an event of that length.

And yet, because you're on this board, I assume you can follow the rugby league season.

Which is longer.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Afghan cricketers over here and elsewhere deserve a special mention for the way they have carried on playing despite everything.

No one even knows if they will be able to safely return home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The Afghan cricketers over here and elsewhere deserve a special mention for the way they have carried on playing despite everything.

No one even knows if they will be able to safely return home.

Totally agree , they’ll have family there . And what would happen to them if they went  home ? Really unimaginable 

• Like 1

Joe Root's innings edited down to the scoring shots. Look at his balance and how late he plays the ball.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Very surprised by events yesterday, Like Dawid Malan I fully expected India to bat until at least after Tea and set England an unconfortable target. No expanation for another 8-63 collapse against a bowling attck that was simply plugging away on a 4th stump line. The corridor of uncertainty as Sir Geoffrey puts it.

Even more surprised at Virat Kohli's post match comments which hint at retaining an attack of four seamers with Shardul Thakur replacing Ishant Sharma as opposed to Ravi Ashwin who must have spilt the tea over Virat's whites in the dressing room.

As for Rishabh Pant, his KP "it's the way I play" impersonation is now going too far. He should have got a massive serve on return to the dressing room. Pant's reputation is proving to be all mouth and no trousers so to speak.

With England, in English conditions, there are a number of fast medium bowlers now around that will make thje transition from Anderson and Broad smoother than might have been expected Robinson, C Overton, Saqib Mahmood and the return of Chris Woakes and the promise of George Garton as the left arm quick. can take some of the pressure off the Pacemen in Archer, Wood and Stone. Not so promising when it comes to spin though.

If Buttler goes off on paternity leave then Jonnny Bairstow will be keeping wicket at the Oval and either Olly Pope or Dan Lawrence will be batting so little difference IMO. Sam Curran has got to be dropped if Woakes is fit. One of the more banal phrases in sports is don't change a winning team. Of course you change a winning team if you can improve it and if yuo take into account the bprevailing conditions.

On a different subject, Steve Finn has left Middlesex after 17 years, someone who never quite realised his potential simply because he remains too nice a bloke lacking the Stuart Broad "i'm playing seven" attitude. Still Steve is to join Sussex Sharks and be available in all fomats, so at least the Sharks will now have a Finn.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

6 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Very surprised by events yesterday, Like Dawid Malan I fully expected India to bat until at least after Tea and set England an unconfortable target. No expanation for another 8-63 collapse against a bowling attck that was simply plugging away on a 4th stump line. The corridor of uncertainty as Sir Geoffrey puts it.

Even more surprised at Virat Kohli's post match comments which hint at retaining an attack of four seamers with Shardul Thakur replacing Ishant Sharma as opposed to Ravi Ashwin who must have spilt the tea over Virat's whites in the dressing room.

As for Rishabh Pant, his KP "it's the way I play" impersonation is now going too far. He should have got a massive serve on return to the dressing room. Pant's reputation is proving to be all mouth and no trousers so to speak.

With England, in English conditions, there are a number of fast medium bowlers now around that will make thje transition from Anderson and Broad smoother than might have been expected Robinson, C Overton, Saqib Mahmood and the return of Chris Woakes and the promise of George Garton as the left arm quick. can take some of the pressure off the Pacemen in Archer, Wood and Stone. Not so promising when it comes to spin though.

If Buttler goes off on paternity leave then Jonnny Bairstow will be keeping wicket at the Oval and either Olly Pope or Dan Lawrence will be batting so little difference IMO. Sam Curran has got to be dropped if Woakes is fit. One of the more banal phrases in sports is don't change a winning team. Of course you change a winning team if you can improve it and if yuo take into account the bprevailing conditions.

On a different subject, Steve Finn has left Middlesex after 17 years, someone who never quite realised his potential simply because he remains too nice a bloke lacking the Stuart Broad "i'm playing seven" attitude. Still Steve is to join Sussex Sharks and be available in all fomats, so at least the Sharks will now have a Finn.

I’d bring in Mahmood for Curran. There must be doubts over Woakes’ fitness over a five day test. Given Anderson now seems to be capable of bowling a very good first spell but struggle a bit after (similar to Flintoff’s last series), need the other three seamers to be able to come back for 2nd or 3rd spells if needed.

17 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

at least the Sharks will now have a Finn

Admit it; that whole post was just a build-up to this pun!

• Like 1

In case the bank holiday feels like it is dragging on a bit, some kind soul has uploaded this. Eight and a half hours of the 2005 Ashes: https://youtu.be/gqz8idTA8ZU

It’d be no bad thing IMO if Buttler isn’t there . I’m not sure if he’s good enough or ever felt fully comfortable or got his head around test cricket . I can see his test days as numbered tbh . Bairstow with the gloves and Pope in is conversely a stronger look 

On 29/08/2021 at 07:21, gingerjon said:

And yet, because you're on this board, I assume you can follow the rugby league season.

Which is longer.

Not rugby league as I'm only an occasional fan of that, but yes I follow football for many months of the year.

I would follow some of the T20 Blast, but I wouldn't want to lose The Hundred that only last 30 days. I loved the big event feel that it had.

I suppose it's like wanting the World Cup to be played over 1 month, rather than spread out over 3 months. It's not that you can't follow the latter, but I think most people would prefer it to be played in only one month, to give it more of a major event feel.

The Hundred for one month, The Blast for 2 or 3 months, and I'm happy.

Pretty exciting final day for the Charlotte Edwards Cup group stages yesterday but the upshot is that the Northern Diamonds will play the Southern Vipers at 11 in Southampton next Sunday for the right to play South East Stars for the title.

There's a reasonable chance that Southern Vipers coach Charlotte Edwards will be lifting a trophy with her name on it.