However it goes from here I think this is a big missed opportunity . We’ve had good batting conditions and a chance to bat them into a corner with a big lead and we’ve kept giving them ways back in .

Edited by DavidM

Woakes closing in on a half-century and a 100-run lead over India.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Woakes closing in on a half-century and a 100-run lead over India.

One, but not the other - Woakes run out on 50, giving England a 99-run lead.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Reading some of the press this morning you would think it was India will the lead. England still in a fair position remember if India are 100-0 they are in effect 1-0. India though have outfielded England who have dropped 5 catches to India's none this cannot carry on.

The key for today is Moeen Ali and Moeen needs to give he ball a rip and act as an attacking spinner not someone holding an end up.

All to play for.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

Just watched a brief clip on the BBC website of the women's game in Hove.

England v New Zealand: Sophie Devine stars in 100th T20 to level series - BBC Sport

Some great shots there. Can't beat the ball bouncing around off roofs and the like. As I was watching, I was thinking that maybe Hove is a smallish ground, and that there had therefore been a flurry of big sixes. However, when I looked at the stats, Devine was the only batter from either side to hit any (four of them).

As much as I'm supportive of the women's game, I do think that the lack of power hitting (currently at least) is a barrier to getting the big crowds. That's not a criticism, but when you think about T20 or The Hundred, the real 'wow factor' that gets the crowd on its feet, is when the big sixes start landing in the stands, with all the fun that goes with people attempting a catch.

Even just watching those few Devine shots, I was entertained and wanting more of the same.

6 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Just watched a brief clip on the BBC website of the women's game in Hove.

England v New Zealand: Sophie Devine stars in 100th T20 to level series - BBC Sport

Some great shots there. Can't beat the ball bouncing around off roofs and the like. As I was watching, I was thinking that maybe Hove is a smallish ground, and that there had therefore been a flurry of big sixes. However, when I looked at the stats, Devine was the only batter from either side to hit any (four of them).

As much as I'm supportive of the women's game, I do think that the lack of power hitting (currently at least) is a barrier to getting the big crowds. That's not a criticism, but when you think about T20 or The Hundred, the real 'wow factor' that gets the crowd on its feet, is when the big sixes start landing in the stands, with all the fun that goes with people attempting a catch.

Even just watching those few Devine shots, I was entertained and wanting more of the same.

The only barrier to a bigger crowd was the number of seats. The match was sold out.

And, in the crowd, the biggest cheers of the day *by far* were for four pieces of fielding from Mady Villiers.

Interestingly, the boundary rope was in about the same spot, maybe a metre in, as I would expect for a men's T20.

I wrote some words but they are mainly about parking: https://jonsmalldon.wordpress.com/2021/09/05/at-the-match-2nd-womens-t20-england-v-new-zealand/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Once India pass 250 England will be on the defensive. 300 is the upper limit for a chase at the Oval. Though Kohli would like four sessions to bowl at England bear in mind England could not bat 60 overs at Lords. The main problem for England is the opening pair. The only time England has got on top of the Indian bowling was at Headingley when there was a decent opening stand and confidence amongst press and fans is low.

You go back to Duncan Fletcher's maxim about express pace and spinners who beat the bat both ends. Moeen was very dissappointing neither posing a threat nor keeping it tight and though you cannot fault the effort from the seam bowlers they were looking punchless. It was reminiscent of Australia in 2017-18 when England could change the bowlers and not the bowling. Four varieties of right arm medium fast

If the want a point of difference for Old Trafford then George Garton left arm quick is the man. Mark Wood is not being rested for Old Trafford at present his problem is that although he can bowl he cannot throw otherwise. The absence of Ben Stokes is being felt as he could crank it up and bowl the "heavy" ball.

If England's men have a James Anderson problem when he goes in the near future, then the English Women's team has a Katherine Brunt problem. Because none of the girls chosen to bowl medium pace have either the 70 mph speed or relentless accuracy at present to replace her. 19 wides defending a low total tells it's own story. You write off the batting as a bad day at the office, but the bowling is a concern.

Interesting point made by Richard Thompson Surrey CCC Chairman on Thursday when chatting with Aggers in the TMS box. 2021 is a unique year in that because of the pandemic and people only recently being allowed out to sporting venues, combined with an inability to go abroad or even to parks of the UK there has been pent up demand to attend live events which has benefited Cricket along with other sports this year but 2022-2024 would be the years to judge whether you could declare a tournament "success" both at the ground and on TV.

There are TRL threads which address the issue as to why Rugby League as a sport seems disturbingly not to have benefited from a  post pandemic "bounce" amongst UK sports .

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

We didn’t get anywhere near enough of a first innings lead . We had the advantage of conditions bowling , and we had the advantage of conditions batting . Somehow we found ourselves 60-5 even though it barely swung seamed or spun , and even then Ali and Pope had them totally under the pump . The best teams don’t give opponents a sniff but we opened the door for them and I never thought 99 was anywhere near enough the way the pitch was going . Our flaky batting continually lets our bowlers down ,  Root apart no one gets big match winning scores . Nice 30s won’t do it . 

4 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

If England's men have a James Anderson problem when he goes in the near future, then the English Women's team has a Katherine Brunt problem. Because none of the girls chosen to bowl medium pace have either the 70 mph speed or relentless accuracy at present to replace her. 19 wides defending a low total tells it's own story. You write off the batting as a bad day at the office, but the bowling is a concern.

It's been an observation for a couple of years that England have relied on Katherine Brunt's bowling for far too long. The accuracy was bizarre last night. I'm not sure I've seen anything like it from across an attack before (as opposed to one or two doing it). It was almost like their markers were in the wrong spot.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There must be some people out there putting some serious money on England as *a well known in-play-with-Ray betting firm* has England at 5/2 for the win.

England who would rather bat slowly and take a result out of the game than go for a win ...

And here's the collapse.

I found it amazing the sky commentators spent so much time seriously talking up the prospect of us getting those runs . They also seem strangely obsessed with ‘ winviz ‘ whatever that is . Do they have shares in it ? I look at that squad and see to many players who just aren’t test standard players , so it’s an uphill struggle 

10 hours ago, Moose said:

Meanwhile Yorkshire thrash Somerset by an innings and thirty three runs inside two days at Scarbados. Some great new, young talent now coming through in the Ridings.

Just one agonising wicket from winning against Hampshire as well.

Still haven't released the report though.

Well played India, sometimes you just have to say you were beaten by the better team. Unlike 2018 when it could be argued that there were two even sides with England winning the key moments. This year it is India winning the key moments with the afternoon spell from "Boom, Boom" Bumrah winning the game.

Something that is often forgotten about great players, and Bumrah is a great player, is that they are not great every time they bat and bowl but what they do is make an intervention when it matters to turn the game in your direction.

As someone who though India would win 4-0, I am on course for a 3-1 outcome on the spinning pich up at Old Trafford where India will surely select Ravi Ashwin.

In hindsight, whree England missed a trick was, with a ridiculous five tests played in six weeks, Anderson and Robinson were not rested for this game wheras Mohammed Shami and Ishant Sharma were (Virat Kohli insists BTW that Ishant Sharma was rested not dropped...) Both should be rested for Old Trafford you have to rotate if playing in that short a timespan.

The chickens of English Cricket are coming home to roost with Saqib Mahmood the latest to pull up with a side strain. If you look at the players injured and burnt out these are the multi-format players, Stokes, Archer, Wood. Players now need to make a choice Test and ODI or ODI and T20. They cannot play all formats nor should be asked to.

As Colin Graves justifies Tom Harrison and Sanjay Patel's bonus on the basuis tat tey "won" both of the world cups then surely using the same logic England losing both home test series in a summer which has not happened for a while is reason enough to withdraw the £ 2.1 million bonus something that would cause me to experiece Shadenfreude.....

George Orwell