It was a test that summed England up really. 

Seam bowling - Very good initially, but loses effectiveness as the game goes on

Captaincy - Complete lack of patience that's needed sometimes. Bowls the new ball bowlers into the ground and rarely uses the spinner

Fielding - Awful. 6 dropped catches and missed a sitter of a run out chance

Top order batting - Need some luck to get in, or at least poor bowling. OK once they're in

Middle order batting - No good. Bairstow and Ali should be told to burn their whites. Ali's shot in the first innings was just mindless, sort of shot you play when you have a 250 lead, not 25

• Like 1

Regardless of conditions and despite what both the Captains said about the toss , unless you are a very confident batting side , i would never put the other side in , your 2nd innings is always going to be on a worn wicket , and i have very little confidence in England chasing a decent total down .

Middlesex's openers (both from the list of ex-England failures) put on 376 for the first wicket against Sussex. In reply, Sussex have done this:

image.png.e3d851e959af37dacb644d086d6ae532.png

Is Orr from Yorkshire, and does he answer to "Sir Geoffrey"?

Edited by tim2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

Is Orr from Yorkshire, and does he answer to "Sir Geoffrey"?

I know.

Dangerously quick. Calm down, lad.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Typical Root interview fluff 

‘He is integral to what we are about. I know his output, in terms of runs, hasn't been as high as he would have liked, but we know what a great player he is’ 

That’s Test great Jos  Buttler he’s talking about 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Typical Root interview fluff 

‘He is integral to what we are about. I know his output, in terms of runs, hasn't been as high as he would have liked, but we know what a great player he is’ 

That’s Test great Jos  Buttler he’s talking about 

Every chance he comes in for Pope while Bairstow and Ali continue to offer nothing in the middle order 

On 07/09/2021 at 08:01, THE RED ROOSTER said:

As someone who though India would win 4-0, I am on course for a 3-1 outcome on the spinning pich up at Old Trafford where India will surely select Ravi Ashwin..

Seems likely that the weather may play a big part at Old Trafford - quite a lot of rain forecast.

22 hours ago, JonM said:

Seems likely that the weather may play a big part at Old Trafford - quite a lot of rain forecast.

Looks like Covid may play a bigger part

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Looks like Covid may play a bigger part

Sounds like there was only one case which caused today's training session to be called off. Hopefully India will still be able to pick 11 to play in between thunderstorms.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phiggins said:

Sounds like there was only one case which caused today's training session to be called off. Hopefully India will still be able to pick 11 to play in between thunderstorms.

They could pick 11 Indian qualified players out of the stand and still have England 3 wickets down before lunch.

• Like 1

Fifth Test cancelled. 😞 

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Another dark day partly caused by Franchise Cricket

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2247831

India could play, but do not want to because the IPL at £ 300 Million worth more than the £ 20-30 million they will have to pay the ECB in compensation. Please recall when the IPL dates came out the BBCI wanted the ECB to reschedule to the fifth test

The current dispute is whether India have forfeited the match (Pakistan 2006) or it is simply cancelled - Who would be ICC match refereee Chris Broad....

Ravi Shastri was pushing sales of his new book "Stargazing the Players in My Life" in London and apparently it turned into a maskless free for all with the India fans, subsequently Ravi and the support staff with him tested positive. BCCI are furious with him, as with anything that threatens the IPL.

Our sympathy should go out to Cricket fans English and Indian who bought tickets, took time off work and paid for travel and accomodation for this game cancelled at 08:44am this morning.

On a brighter note,England's women bowled better last night in a nailbiting win over New Zealand.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

Rubbish for fans and doubly rubbish for Old Trafford . Usually one of the better cricket pitches producing good games with a great atmosphere . Big shame , and of course no test scheduled there next year . Maybe they should shift one from Lords ( yeh I know ) 

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

On a brighter note,England's women bowled better last night in a nailbiting win over New Zealand.

England were a lot sharper without being brilliant. New Zealand will rue a few missed opportunities. Enjoyable series.

Now roll on the ODIs at the freezing end of September.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Rubbish for fans and doubly rubbish for Old Trafford . Usually one of the better cricket pitches producing good games with a great atmosphere . Big shame , and of course no test scheduled there next year . Maybe they should shift one from Lords ( yeh I know ) 

Estimated loss is around £20m, apparently.

On 07/09/2021 at 06:42, gingerjon said:

Just one agonising wicket from winning against Hampshire as well.

Still haven't released the report though.

Be interesting to see what the ECB does now that Yorkshire have let them see a summary of the report. They seem to have done a pretty good job of digging themselves deeper into a hole.

14 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Another dark day partly caused by Franchise Cricket

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2247831

India could play, but do not want to because the IPL at £ 300 Million worth more than the £ 20-30 million they will have to pay the ECB in compensation.

Another ridiculous attack on franchise cricket.

It's disappointing that the Test was cancelled, but it makes perfect sense if that is deemed necessary to protect the IPL. It's called living in the real world. Why put £300m of money at risk for the sake of losing £20-30m?

Your moans on a website wouldn't make up the shortfall in funding if the IPL had to be cancelled and the Indian cricket board had much less money to spend on cricket in India. Sorry all you kids in India but your cricket club gets no funding this year because RED ROOSTER must have his Test match.

I sympathise hugely with those that booked hotels and time off work etc. I would like to think that the ECB and BCCI could maybe look into those worst affected and perhaps offer some sort of compensation. Being realistic, however, it's never going to cover people that have splashed out £200 a night on a hotel though. Even this idea is probably more based on idealism than reality though. Trying to prove your entitlement to compensation would not be an easy process.

It's another casualty of Covid, unfortunately. Just got to suck it up and move on.

I saw on Twitter that Lancashire CC donated the food they'd got in for the Test to a local food bank. At least some people will benefit from this, I suppose.

• Like 2

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I saw on Twitter that Lancashire CC donated the food they'd got in for the Test to a local food bank. At least some people will benefit from this, I suppose.

A fair number of fans also went to the Rachel Heyhoe Flint game being played at Sale. It was a bit one-sided, and all over by about 3, but at least they saw some cricket.