Going to be quite an exciting county championship finish by the looks of it.

Hampshire need to bowl Lancashire out for 195 or less to win the Championship. If they don't win, Warwickshire win it if they beat Somerset (but Somerset have a first innings lead and just finished their first innings late on day 3, so Warwickshire will need to go some). If Lancashire win (currently 113-3 needing 83 more runs) and Warwickshire don't, then Lancs win the Championship.

Could be a tie at Aigburth, in which case Notts could go past all 3 main contenders and take the title by beating Yorkshire which they look like doing.  

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Going to be quite an exciting county championship finish by the looks of it.

Hampshire need to bowl Lancashire out for 195 or less to win the Championship. If they don't win, Warwickshire win it if they beat Somerset (but Somerset have a first innings lead and just finished their first innings late on day 3, so Warwickshire will need to go some). If Lancashire win (currently 113-3 needing 83 more runs) and Warwickshire don't, then Lancs win the Championship.

Could be a tie at Aigburth, in which case Notts could go past all 3 main contenders and take the title by beating Yorkshire which they look like doing.  

Fundamentally, I now only follow The Hundred.

All other cricket is dead to me.

Stupid game.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Fundamentally, I now only follow The Hundred.

All other cricket is dead to me.

Stupid game.

Two new batsmen in for Lancs, both on 0. Hampshire still favourites I think.

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

Two new batsmen in for Lancs, both on 0. Hampshire still favourites I think.

That's the sort of thing I'd write if the side I wanted to win really were still favourites buti it was going to be annoyingly close

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's the sort of thing I'd write if the side I wanted to win really were still favourites buti it was going to be annoyingly close

🙂 

The bookies still have Hants as favourites. In a game where neither side has scored 200, that seems right. Couple of overs can swing it quite quickly in either direction of course. 

• Thanks 1

So whatever happens at Edgbaston tomorrow, Lancashire will be in the Bob Willis Trophy final next week, for a five day game at Lords, which takes the county season into October.

• Like 2

I've got the England v New Zealand women's ODI on YouTube. England chasing 245.

• Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I've got the England v New Zealand women's ODI on YouTube. England chasing 245.

Looks like England have broken the back of this - just in time for the rugby ...

1 hour ago, JonM said:

So whatever happens at Edgbaston tomorrow, Lancashire will be in the Bob Willis Trophy final next week, for a five day game at Lords, which takes the county season into October.

All eyes on Birmingham.

Tempted to put my thermals on and see if getting to Lord's is a possible.

31 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Looks like England have broken the back of this - just in time for the rugby ...

Apparently, it came down to the last few balls. I say apparently, as my internet decided to go AWOL with 4 balls to go. :kolobok_angry2:

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Apparently, it came down to the last few balls. I say apparently, as my internet decided to go AWOL with 4 balls to go. :kolobok_angry2:

Don’t worry - it might not have been your Internet. Apparently the YouTube feed went down with England needing one to win...

Just now, gingerjon said:

Don’t worry - it might not have been your Internet. Apparently the YouTube feed went down with England needing one to win...

I just got permanent buffering, and other pages wouldn't load either, so I think both things coincided.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

All eyes on Birmingham.

Tempted to put my thermals on and see if getting to Lord's is a possible.

Yes, quite tempted to go to Lords too, if the weather's ok.

Free admission at Edgbaston tomorrow. Tricky decision - they brought the boundary ropes in to ensure they got maximum batting points, but that will potentially allow Somerset to score at a decent rate if the target is too low.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Blimey, that was exciting.

Warwickshire giving themselves every chance of making a game of it tomorrow - they'll at least be able to set Somerset a run chase after lunch.

Thought they’d struggle to force a result when the Somerset innings finished, but they’ve done well to get as many runs as they have in the last session. Somerset would have to bat well to see out the 70 or so overs they’re likely to be given. 

Absolutely bonkers finish at Lancashire. Their heads went with the run out and the number 10 stealing the  strike at the end.  

Warwickshire declared 272 ahead, giving themselves two and a half sessions to bowl Somerset out. Definitely enough time for Somerset to get those runs, given the reduced boundaries, so I'd expect them to go for it, rather than just focusing on avoiding defeat. Good captaincy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Warwickshire declared 272 ahead, giving themselves two and a half sessions to bowl Somerset out. Definitely enough time for Somerset to get those runs, given the reduced boundaries, so I'd expect them to go for it, rather than just focusing on avoiding defeat. Good captaincy.

Pretty dismal showing from Somerset though.

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

Pretty dismal showing from Somerset though.

No complaints from me - their batting had collapsed in all of the previous 6 innings before this game - their first innings was by far their best performance in red-ball cricket in months. Given where they were at this time yesterday, you have to say it's a well deserved win for Warwickshire.