Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  

20 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The problem, and it's a genuine one, is that Durham are also part of the Headingley franchise.

I mean, I know. It's a complete joke.

It is a total joke. 

I'm not a huge cricket fan but I never understood what was wrong with the blast. I go regularly and enjoy an evening on the western terrace with my mates. 

I don't want to sound defeatist but I wonder how long it will take for this to be canned?

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It is a total joke. 

I'm not a huge cricket fan but I never understood what was wrong with the blast. I go regularly and enjoy an evening on the western terrace with my mates. 

I don't want to sound defeatist but I wonder how long it will take for this to be canned?

I don’t get it . 100 balls is , err , nearly 20 overs ? But it’s running alongside the blast. Seems rather odd . Sounds like the way they wanted the blast  to go , but couldn’t get it through so they’ve done the usual compromise which is the worst of both worlds . I must have missed the demand for this new comp

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The problem, and it's a genuine one, is that Durham are also part of the Headingley franchise.

I mean, I know. It's a complete joke.

I think Lancashire is the only county that is standalone in "The Hundred."

The Lord's franchise covers 3 counties - Northants, Essex & Middlesex and is representing the South Midlands, East Anglia & North London. The Cardiff franchise is supposed to be representing  Wales and Southwest England.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I don’t get it . 100 balls is , err , nearly 20 overs ? But it’s running alongside the blast. Seems rather odd . Sounds like the way they wanted the blast  to go , but couldn’t get it through so they’ve done the usual compromise which is the worst of both worlds . I must have missed the demand for this new comp

It is something they invented so they had a product to sell to terrestrial TV. And that's the only positive thing I can remember reading about the whole concept.

Mind you, virtually everyone rubbished and ridiculed the idea of State of Origin before it began...

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

I love cricket, almost all of my non-work life is consumed by it, but 'The Hundred' thing is still a mystery.

Where's the gap in the market?

Edited by Leeds Wire
  • Like 1

I would say there are four markets:

-People who like cricket

-People who used to like cricket

-People who don’t like cricket

-People who don't know what cricket is?

The Hundred is an attempt to go after the latter two with the risk of turning the first group into more of the ‘People who used to like cricket’ second grouping.

The crux of the matter is that participation rates are deemed to have dropped to a critical level for the future of professional cricket in England.

What concerns me about the attempt to remedy this is money will be wasted on player wages and so-so marketing and market research which could be better spent at grassroots.

I think an easier answer would have been to televise part of the popular T20 blast tournament on the BBC including the final.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

-People who like cricket

-People who used to like cricket

-People who don’t like cricket

-People who don't know what cricket is?

The Hundred is an attempt to go after the latter two with the risk of turning the first group into more of the ‘People who used to like cricket’ second grouping.

The crux of the matter is that participation rates are deemed to have dropped to a critical level for the future of professional cricket in England.

What concerns me about the attempt to remedy this is money will be wasted on player wages and so-so marketing and market research which could be better spent at grassroots.

I think an easier answer would have been to televise part of the popular T20 blast tournament on the BBC including the final.

An even easier answer was that the ECB already had a decent product in terms of the All Stars package that loads of kids were taking part in. Combine that with, for example, the other successful policy of inviting schools to county games for free on dedicated days and you had the beginnings of a good, and pretty affordable, base that works across the country.

The Hundred is many things but fundamentally it's been a dog's dinner because the ECB have utterly failed to decide if it's an elite competition or one to increase participation. So it is played in a very small number of grounds - ELITE - but tinkers with the rules to make it simple and fun - PARTICIPATION. Has a huge amount spent on creating new identities for new audiences - PARTICIPATION but then wants to recruit huge names from cricket's past as coaches - ELITE.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

An even easier answer was that the ECB already had a decent product in terms of the All Stars package that loads of kids were taking part in. Combine that with, for example, the other successful policy of inviting schools to county games for free on dedicated days and you had the beginnings of a good, and pretty affordable, base that works across the country.

The Hundred is many things but fundamentally it's been a dog's dinner because the ECB have utterly failed to decide if it's an elite competition or one to increase participation. So it is played in a very small number of grounds - ELITE - but tinkers with the rules to make it simple and fun - PARTICIPATION. Has a huge amount spent on creating new identities for new audiences - PARTICIPATION but then wants to recruit huge names from cricket's past as coaches - ELITE.

What I don’t understand is why giving these new entities nicknames is seen as particularly groundbreaking?

I’m struggling to think how any person is going to say to themselves, “Hang on, I don’t normally like this, but now they’re called the ‘Rockets’!  It’s a yes!”

To me the ECB have been hoodwinked or have willingly led themselves down the garden path.

• Like 1

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

What I don’t understand is why giving these new entities nicknames is seen as particularly groundbreaking?

I’m struggling to think how any person is going to say to themselves, “Hang on, I don’t normally like this, but now they’re called the ‘Rockets’!  It’s a yes!”

To me the ECB have been hoodwinked or have willingly led themselves down the garden path.

I think it's a bit of both - falling for consultants trying to fix a problem that isn't really there combined with a healthy dose of both groupthink and designing things by committee. It's an absolute nightmare.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A quick question. When the openers come out does the opening batsman get to choose which end he starts from?. 

33 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

A quick question. When the openers come out does the opening batsman get to choose which end he starts from?. 

They can decide between themselves who faces first. I'm not sure if the fielding side or the umpires decide which end the first over is bowled from, but they're out there before the batsmen so I don't think it's the batting side.

Quick Google check - as I suspected there's nothing in the rules but convention states that the fielding side set themselves up for a particular end and the batsmen then decide who faces first, if they haven't already. Most opening partnerships will have a natural "first facer". If a nightwatchmen is coming in for one over, they would face. The fielding side could try to change ends, but the batsmen would just swap too. The umpires would take a dim view of this kind of behaviour.

Edited by tim2
  • Thanks 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

15 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

They've spent an absolute fortune on market research.

I think a target market they've correctly identified is that there's a large number of people who like cricket but who never go and watch. One of the figures quoted was that a large percentage of people who call themselves fans of rugby (both codes) have seen a professional game, whereas most people who call themselves cricket fans have never been to a match between professional teams - several million people in that category.

Unfortunately, they've turned it into a massive mess and it's very hard to see how it's going to turn out as a success.

I think the ECB have done a decent job in the last 10-20 years on participation. Pretty much every village where I live has a cricket club with multiple age group (boys and girls) teams and a reasonably efficient system at identifying the talent and moving it to higher levels (albeit going to private school definitely helps.) Loads of kids I know play cricket. That wasn't the case in the 90s, where the England team had almost all learnt to play abroad or at private schools.

Compare that with rugby union where I pretty much don't know anyone who plays - korfball and netball both dwarf rugby in terms of participation round here as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonM said:

I think a target market they've correctly identified is that there's a large number of people who like cricket but who never go and watch. One of the figures quoted was that a large percentage of people who call themselves fans of rugby (both codes) have seen a professional game, whereas most people who call themselves cricket fans have never been to a match between professional teams - several million people in that category.

Unfortunately, they've turned it into a massive mess and it's very hard to see how it's going to turn out as a success.

I think the ECB have done a decent job in the last 10-20 years on participation. Pretty much every village where I live has a cricket club with multiple age group (boys and girls) teams and a reasonably efficient system at identifying the talent and moving it to higher levels (albeit going to private school definitely helps.) Loads of kids I know play cricket. That wasn't the case in the 90s, where the England team had almost all learnt to play abroad or at private schools.

Compare that with rugby union where I pretty much don't know anyone who plays - korfball and netball both dwarf rugby in terms of participation round here as far as I can tell.

I think in terms of participation your experience of the effectiveness of the ECB’s approach may be localised to your area.

If we believe the research done prior to the launch of The Hundred then only 5% of children between the 7-15 age group rank cricket amongst their favourite sports and only 7% of primary school children play cricket (source: The Cricketer)

I think these are the main concerns with regards participation.  Whether the solution they’ve come up with is the answer is questionable to me.

It does sound impressive what is happening in your local area.

If you think the RFL is bad, who would start a Championship game on the same day as the World Cup final? Queen's Park doesn't host many games these days which makes it even more dumb.

image.png.e2af9c4797882b403ba7cf666e1f9c2a.png

• Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 11/07/2019 at 14:34, JonM said:

Last winter I attended an ECB presentation at Headingley stadium where they put forward plans to change junior cricket. They wanted, among other things, to reduce the number of players on a team, reduce the wicket length and bring the boundary in. They said it was based on extensive research. 

The plans were almost unanimously rejected by everyone present who represented various Yorkshire leagues, but they went ahead with most of it regardless because of their "research evidence", which they neither cited nor justified.

I suspect there are uncanny parallels with "The Hundred".

Edited by Leeds Wire
  • Like 2

On 11/07/2019 at 11:15, Gerrumonside ref said:

My favourite county are included but combined with 2 others who are usually rivals. 

I prefer the individual counties.

• Like 1

T20 Blast about to get underway.

Some of the counties have made interesting overseas signings with a few big names.

Nottinghamshire are the favourites and will kick things off against the defending champs Worcestershire on Sky now.

David Lloyd is a nice guy but he really is just the pleasant uncle who needs to be reminded what’s going on all the time.

Guptill turning out for Worcester today. Four days ago he was desperately lunging to win the Kiwis the World Cup.

This is the standard we have in the Blast. And yet somehow the ECB don’t think it has value.

• Like 1

To me, this tournament shared between Sky and a big FTA broadcaster would be ideal for cricket’s national exposure.

In case anyone didn’t catch the TV preview there are some really good players in it this year including Martin Guptill as gingerjon has mentioned:

AB de Villiers (Middlesex and South Africa)

Mujeeb Ur Rahman (Middlesex and Afghanistan)

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex and England)

Glenn Maxwell (Lancashire and Australia)

Aaron Finch (Surrey and Australia)

Imran Tahir (Surrey and South Africa)

Nicholas Pooran (Yorkshire and West Indies)

Babar Azam (Somerset and Pakistan)

Mohammed Azir (Essex and Pakistan)

Rashid Khan (Sussex and Afghanistan)

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

To me, this tournament shared between Sky and a big FTA broadcaster would be ideal for cricket’s national exposure.

In case anyone didn’t catch the TV preview there are some really good players in it this year including Martin Guptill as gingerjon has mentioned:

AB de Villiers (Middlesex and South Africa)

Mujeeb Ur Rahman (Middlesex and Afghanistan)

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex and England)

Glenn Maxwell (Lancashire and Australia)

Aaron Finch (Surrey and Australia)

Imran Tahir (Surrey and South Africa)

Nicholas Pooran (Yorkshire and West Indies)

Babar Azam (Somerset and Pakistan)

Mohammed Azir (Essex and Pakistan)

Rashid Khan (Sussex and Afghanistan)

I presume Jofra Archer and Tymal Mills will be back for Sussex?