Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  

50 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

If you're from the north, what's wrong with supporting the Northern Superchargers? Alternatively, if you feel some affinity to Sussex, you can follow the Southern Braves.

Yes, you're correct that the Southern Brave women's team will play at Hove. I understand that the travel situation isn't ideal for you, but I'm sure you've travelled further than two hours on occasions to watch rugby league or other sports. Even if you can't attend every match, perhaps you and Tiny Ginger can get across to Hampshire for the occasional game (or even up to London for an away game). It's not as if it's a 40 game season or anything like that - it will only be four homes games and four away games a year. We might even see some away supporters travelling to these matches, because of the rarity of them and because of the quality of players that you'll be able to see play.

But they're not Yorkshire or Sussex so why would I bother? Are you going to tell a Cas fan that Calder is in their best interests? Yorkshire will still be playing in the Championship, the reduced in standard 50 Over Cup and the Blast after all. 

If we're going to Hampshire for cricket, given that Southampton is a dog of a ground to get to, it will be for England.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm willing to stick my neck out and say that I think it will be amazingly popular and extremely successful.

Is it perfect? No, but no system ever is. It's impossible to come up with a format that pleases everyone. Perhaps the names need further tinkering - maybe North West rather than Manchester, and West Midlands instead of Birmingham, so that more people feel included.

I just think there is a place for a competition with a smaller number of teams, so that the quality is concentrated. The Hundred will hopefully achieve that.

What was wrong with Lancashire and Yorkshire?

A history and rivalry that no amount of marketing can buy.

The thought processes behind some of this are idiotic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Lancashire and Yorkshire will still be playing in other competitions. Still got the T20 Blast next year.

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

Lancashire and Yorkshire will still be playing in other competitions. Still got the T20 Blast next year.

Of course, but weirdly the most marketable rivalry in the sport at County level is being mothballed during its biggest showcase.

Still, at least money was well spent on discovering that people in Manchester like music and fashion!

I fear the ECB have been led up the garden path.

• Like 1

I expect there'll be some tweaking after the first season of this. It'll be interesting to see if any rebranding is part of it.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Surely we now need to get rid of 50 over cricket internationally and domestically.... Even if we did win the 'World Cup' 

Either enjoy the boozy cut and thrust of quick twenty 20 or savour the acquired taste of test cricket

I like both but the above but 50 over games give me neither these days

• Confused 1

On 09/10/2019 at 17:34, Gerrumonside ref said:

A history and rivalry that no amount of marketing can buy.

The thought processes behind some of this are idiotic.

As a Lancashire member I have spoken to many others at Old Trafford who, like me, have no interest in this new competition - mainly because it isn't "our team".

• Like 3

On 09/10/2019 at 18:21, Futtocks said:

I expect there'll be some tweaking after the first season of this. It'll be interesting to see if any rebranding is part of it.

For 'tweaking' read 'abandonment'.  

It has no legs.

For anyone who is interested, The Hundred draft is tonight at 7pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/50109380

A pre-draft draw determined the order of picks for the draft. The order is as follows:

1 Trent Rockets

2 Southern Brave

3 Northern Superchargers

4 Welsh Fire

5 Oval Invincibles

6 Manchester Originals

7 London Spirit

8 Birmingham Phoenix

The 100 draft has reinforced the reason why I won't have much interest in it.

As a Lancashire member, if I went to watch Manchester Originals at Old Trafford then on the local team would be four current Lancashire players while an opposing team could also include some of them (Liam Livingstone, Glenn Maxwell) and so one week I might be encouraging a certain player when he is playing County cricket and then the next match I am wanting him to fail.

For the County team I would want my players to be in form and playing well all the time and yet I am now supposed to hope they aren't.

OK, I will probably watch it on tv but I certainly won't be going to any of the matches. Indeed it seems that the attraction of sponsors and getting tv coverage is of more significance than catering for those who want to watch it live ..... and is also the way that I think RL is going.

Who’s brainstorm was this ? It looks all jazzy and packaged but has very little actual relation to cricket 

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Who’s brainstorm was this ? It looks all jazzy and packaged but has very little actual relation to cricket 

There has even been talk have trying to have cricket in the Olympics but as a 10 over per side event (obviously because the USA want their sports to be able to fit into a tv schedule).

20 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

OK, I will probably watch it on tv but I certainly won't be going to any of the matches.

I will try to do both.

When all is said and done, if it turns out to be a flop, so be it. It will be something that was tried and failed. It's only for one month, so no great harm will have been done. We'll just carry with what we've got now. I don't see the problem with trying out new ideas sometimes.

38 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

There has even been talk have trying to have cricket in the Olympics but as a 10 over per side event (obviously because the USA want their sports to be able to fit into a tv schedule).

Not just TV schedules, but getting a multi-team (more, at least, than the number from this year's World Cup) tournament over and done with in 16 days without having two seriously fatigued and over-played sides in the final. Yes, some Olympic events actually start a few days before the opening ceremony, but not by much.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

29 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I will try to do both.

When all is said and done, if it turns out to be a flop, so be it. It will be something that was tried and failed. It's only for one month, so no great harm will have been done. We'll just carry with what we've got now. I don't see the problem with trying out new ideas sometimes.

I certainly understand your point of view. However, for me it would be like going to watch a 9-a-side Rugby League game between two teams I don't support. ie .. It isn't a proper form of the game and I would have no interest in who wins.

Will not be entertaining this in any shape or form . I believe the women’s London Spirit team are to play fixtures at Chelmsford.  Will show about as much interest in watching them as I will traipsing   up to Lords to watch the men. 

In other news, PNG have qualified for the T20 World Cup.

I didn't know you could in massive tackles in cricket. I hope one of them "accidentally" falttens David Warner if they play the Aussies.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, tim2 said:

In other news, PNG have qualified for the T20 World Cup.

I didn't know you could in massive tackles in cricket. I hope one of them "accidentally" falttens David Warner if they play the Aussies.

And Steve Smith