Sign in to follow this  

28 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Pity it’s only 2 games . I really dislike 2 game ‘ series ‘ anyway but this shapes up as our toughest gig this winter against a strong settled kiwi lineup , so 3 matches would have been very interesting 

I agree; two tests is what you give minnows, not New Zealand. Still, the Black Caps mix a small but productive talent pool with tactical craftiness, so it should be a challenging contest.

But the time difference means that I'll be nodding off happily to TMS and missing a lot of the actual play.

Are there highlights on any terrestrial channel for this tour?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I agree; two tests is what you give minnows, not New Zealand. Still, the Black Caps mix a small but productive talent pool with tactical craftiness, so it should be a challenging contest.

But the time difference means that I'll be nodding off happily to TMS and missing a lot of the actual play.

Are there highlights on any terrestrial channel for this tour?

I’ve checked the Radio Times website and there’s no mention of TV coverage anywhere other than Sky.

The ECB complains and worries that participation is going down.

Yet test match cricket becomes more and more a thing that can only be followed by lucky old codgers like me.

England with a slight edge after day two. Most likely be over inside four days despite being closer to a 'proper' Test match. Given that everyone was saying the wicket was too slow and the Kookaburra dead, we still had ten wickets fall.

Meanwhile, Australia are tearing Pakistan a new one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Meanwhile, Australia are tearing Pakistan a new one

What about the 16 year old bowling 93 mph ! Saw a few clips of him , geez his schools cricket must have been interesting 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

What about the 16 year old bowling 93 mph ! Saw a few clips of him , geez his schools cricket must have been interesting 

Yep this was something else

Not sure how much good it does to growth plates bowling that fast so young

Never did me any harm I guess and I was a yard quicker at his age 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

I thought 350 was a pathetic score on a completely dead pitch doing nothing against four guys bowling 80 mph ... and it was . Excellent application from the kiwis who contrary to us didn’t give it away . Generally though , there’s lots of talk about test cricket being under threat and the paramount importance of pitches and the ball you use - for reasons like this . 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

I thought 350 was a pathetic score on a completely dead pitch doing nothing against four guys bowling 80 mph ... and it was . Excellent application from the kiwis who contrary to us didn’t give it away . Generally though , there’s lots of talk about test cricket being under threat and the paramount importance of pitches and the ball you use - for reasons like this . 

Agree with all this.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

New Zealand proving that they deserve more than a piddling and derisory 2-test series.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

The Abu Dhabi T10 final is on Freesports TV, and I have just seen something I never saw before - a wicket-keeper's hat-trick of stumpings!

• Like 1

On 24/11/2019 at 10:04, Futtocks said:

New Zealand proving that they deserve more than a piddling and derisory 2-test series.

To be fair, it is usual for the major cricketing nations to play the minows in 2 match series before they play fellow major teams like NZ is doing in December

• Like 1

So, apparently that's a first ... three Test matches being played at the same time and they all finish with a win by an innings.

Something that's only going to become more likely now that the ECB are further downgrading Championship cricket so fewer and fewer will watch and play it.

It's not exactly England's first choice test XI is it and doesn't count for the world test championship - the whole thing has an air of "contractual obligation" about it.

• Like 1

The more I hear Root the more I think he’s either not up to it or on another planet ...we shouldn’t look too deeply into these things , it’ll take time , disappointing but take the positives , new start blah blah blah . Even the guys on the debate were bemused by him . We got touched up big style on a flat deck by guys who pull up no trees in county cricket , couldn’t bat in two gigs as much as they did in one , and looked utterly useless and clueless with the ball ( again away from home ) . He also said archer should be used more in short spells and give it max ... err you’re the captain Joe . Also please tell him to pitch it up rather than banging it way too much on tracks like this , he’s better than that

11 hours ago, JonM said:

It's not exactly England's first choice test XI is it and doesn't count for the world test championship - the whole thing has an air of "contractual obligation" about it.

Who are the other 11 test players eligible for England who sat this one out?

10 hours ago, bazza_merged said:

Who are the other 11 test players eligible for England who sat this one out?

Where did I say there were 11 players who sat it out? (Although as it happens, there are 12 England players who've played a test match in the past year who are not on the tour.)

No Jason Roy, Jimmy Anderson, Moeen Ali, Liam Plunkett, Mark Wood, Dawid Malan, Ben Foakes,  or Olly Stone.

Jos Buttler & Ben Stokes missed the T20 games, only played the tests, both were in the England T20 World Cup squad. Tom Curran, James Vince and Adil Rashid only playing the T20, all have played test cricket previously.

16 hours ago, JonM said:

No Jason Roy, Jimmy Anderson, Moeen Ali, Liam Plunkett, Mark Wood, Dawid Malan, Ben Foakes,  or Olly Stone.

Of those players I think only Anderson and Wood are not available due to injury

The main problem with Englands bowlers is  they are too used to our dampish conditions when the ball will move off the pitch and swing .When it is drier and it`s down to pace and bowling a length and pitching it up consistently , we haven`t the discipline to do it .too many easy runs given away bowling too wide  or too short . 

• Like 2

I would like to have seen the World Test Championship based on a knockout competition formula with a best of 7 tests per round.  This could have been played on a Home - Home - Away - Away - Away - Home - Home basis for the highest seed based on current rankings.

Then the winners progress to the next round (possibly a year later) until eventually you get two finalists.  Losers of the early rounds could arrange test series in pretty much the same ad hoc fashion they do now with other losers.

I think that concept would be easier to sell to sports fans than the agreed fudge that is the current World Test Championship.  The only drawback is matching climatic conditions against the teams you are scheduled to play in terms of cricket seasons winters/summers.

To illustrate:

R1

England vs West Indies best of 7 (2 tests in England, 3 tests in WI then 2 tests in England)

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

12 hours ago, ivans82 said:

The main problem with Englands bowlers is  they are too used to our dampish conditions when the ball will move off the pitch and swing .When it is drier and it`s down to pace and bowling a length and pitching it up consistently , we haven`t the discipline to do it .too many easy runs given away bowling too wide  or too short . 

A fundamental problem with all England players is that complete and total lack of cricket they play if they are, for example, called up to the squad but then don't play, or don't hit form. They are very rarely released to their counties/anyone to play a game or two and, more crucially, the set up of the season means that even if they did they would be getting none of the cricket they need - for e.g. lose form in Test cricket and there will be no competitive red ball cricket being played for you to have a go in.

Next season's fixture list is even worse than previously for this.

19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

A fundamental problem with all England players is that complete and total lack of cricket they play if they are, for example, called up to the squad but then don't play, or don't hit form. They are very rarely released to their counties/anyone to play a game or two and, more crucially, the set up of the season means that even if they did they would be getting none of the cricket they need - for e.g. lose form in Test cricket and there will be no competitive red ball cricket being played for you to have a go in.

Next season's fixture list is even worse than previously for this.

I am sure this was not the case in say the 90s and the England team still wasn't particularly good

4 hours ago, bazza_merged said:

I am sure this was not the case in say the 90s and the England team still wasn't particularly good

There were very different reasons then - although actually the key reason was still woeful management from the (then) TCCB.