Sign in to follow this  

14 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Happy to be proved wrong.....again

I remember when that was a good score in 50 overs . Crazy how the games changed . 

• Like 1

Absolutely corking England Performance in a superb series.  Who needs The Hundred ?

England will be back in South Africva for 3 ODI's and 3 T20 matches next year - As with the recent New Zealand Test Series, this series counts for nothing as the 2020 -22 ICC Cricket World Cup dioes start until May 2020 ....

The World T20 in Australia in October / November 2020 is followed by The World T20 in India In October / November 2021. One reason why winning the T20 counts for less than the ODI World Cup . Alaso these is no ICC T20 series

Jos Buttler opens the batting for his IPL Franchise so this si not a new role as within 12 months of this years T2O world cup the sides meeti in India. this move makes sense. As does allowing Moeen Ali to play in the Pakistan Super League to get siome experience of subcontinental conditions as he has no Central contract for Tests with the ECB and England are unlikely to feature in the World Test Championshuip Final.

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Women's T20 World Cup starts today. Thailand are the whipping girls and I'm not sure you could even find a bookie to take your bet on hosts Australia retaining their trophy.

Starting right now with Australia v India. I suspect it will end with the same game in the final.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Women's T20 World Cup starts today. Thailand are the whipping girls and I'm not sure you could even find a bookie to take your bet on hosts Australia retaining their trophy.

Starting right now with Australia v India. I suspect it will end with the same game in the final.

India's excuse today was that the dog ate their script. A 17-run victory over the Australians.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

India's excuse today was that the dog ate their script. A 17-run victory over the Australians.

Some good performances and a pitch that was a lot slower than anticipated

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Australia absolutely steamroll South Africa ... and that’s steam roll with a big steamroller 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

Thai ladies gave it a good go against the West Indies this morning. Just didn't have a big enough target to bowl at

Yeah saw that game, the Thai players seem to be Thai , not heritage players.  If Cricket can do that why can't we?

24 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Yeah saw that game, the Thai players seem to be Thai , not heritage players.  If Cricket can do that why can't we?

Looking at the England cricket men's team, that appears to be a heritage team

On 22/02/2020 at 13:00, HawkMan said:

I'd urge you not to look too closely at the national teams of the Netherland and, to a lesser extent, Ireland.

There's been a formal structure in Thailand since 1971. They also benefit from being part of the wider Asian circuit which includes other countries with competitive teams like Nepal.

And back to the onfield: cracking win for England today against a Windies team that never seems to show up despite removing Beaumont first ball. Mady Villiers took her first World Cup wicket before conceding her first World Cup run, that's pretty impressive.

So the four semi finalists are Australia, India, England, South Africa.

Not entirely a surprise but it's been a pretty good tournament so far. No real shocks but the standard - fielding aside which has been woeful at times - has been good and the matches mostly competitive.

THE HUNDRED HAS BEEN POSTPONED

Will Ferrell Laughing GIF

• Like 1

Sky Cricket showing all of the women's 2017 World Cup final from 11am today.

• Thanks 1

It's 2005. Edgbaston. Australia down to their last wicket but closing in on the England total.

'Live' now on TMS and Sky.

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's 2005. Edgbaston. Australia down to their last wicket but closing in on the England total.

Heart rate up!

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Phew!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Heart rate up!

I really didn’t like Shane Warne for obvious reasons when he was playing .... but I gotta say I think he’s fantastic now . His commentary , his humour , his honesty , his charisma etc etc , he’s just captivating and box office to listen to

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I really didn’t like Shane Warne for obvious reasons when he was playing .... but I gotta say I think he’s fantastic now . His commentary , his humour , his honesty , his charisma etc etc , he’s just captivating and box office to listen to

It is seriously annoying how likeable some Aussie bogeymen turn out when they stop playing and start talking. It still stings me how much I enjoy Glenn McGrath's punditry. I think there should be a law against it.

The same goes for RL punditry too - Michael Ennis or Braith Anasta, for instance. Two seriously annoying players who have transitioned effortlessly to the studio.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It is seriously annoying how likeable some Aussie bogeymen turn out when they stop playing and start talking. It still stings me how much I enjoy Glenn McGrath's punditry. I think there should be a law against it.

The same goes for RL punditry too - Michael Ennis or Braith Anasta, for instance. Two seriously annoying players who have transitioned effortlessly to the studio.

Jason Gillespie seems like a genuinely likeable and smart bloke.

Shane Warne just refused to be beaten as a player, didn't he? It comes over in some of the interviews they're doing in the lockdown programmes. He just hated losing almost as much as he enjoyed winning and so had no concept of when to quit, or even why you would actually quit. The 2005 series had numerous examples of him practically carrying his team forward when others might have given up.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Jason Gillespie seems like a genuinely likeable and smart bloke.

Shane Warne just refused to be beaten as a player, didn't he? It comes over in some of the interviews they're doing in the lockdown programmes. He just hated losing almost as much as he enjoyed winning and so had no concept of when to quit, or even why you would actually quit. The 2005 series had numerous examples of him practically carrying his team forward when others might have given up.

Indeed . He carried them to a great degree with McGrath injured and a fair few out of form . It was amusing but telling today that he said sure he thought they could win despite needing 107 with Kasprowicz to come . And he was still irritated over the toss ...bemoaning where they either gave runs away in the field or missed runs with the bat ... and how they bowled to Simon Jones etc etc . And KP was even more telling when saying that he , and that side , had such an aura that we were still ultra nervous and almost unable to grasp we could beat them 

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

One vital but often forgotten moment of that Edgbaston Test -Steve Harmison's slower ball to dismiss Michael Clarke at the end of day 3 .... a classic piece of commentary too.

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

One vital but often forgotten moment of that Edgbaston Test -Steve Harmison's slower ball to dismiss Michael Clarke at the end of day 3 .... a classic piece of commentary too.

It's a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

I saw the Test on Channel 4 so today was the first time I'd heard the radio version. It was Australian Jim Maxwell and an Aussie co-commentator whose name I didn't catch. And they were genuinely excited when England won - and delighted, along with the English blokes in the commentary box too, before then about how the Test was twisting and turning with all results (save the draw, really) still possible.

It reminded me that when I've seen Netherlands (in T20) and Ireland (in ODI) beat England, it's been Englishmen commentating and they've been absolutely thrilled with the drama and excitement.

It's something I don't like about how TMS is going sometimes when they seem too much to think we only care about England winning. Look, if we only cared about England winning, cricket wouldn't have survived the 1990s. We want contests and we want our beautiful moments.

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's a thing of beauty.

Especially from someone who just didn’t have a slower ball !

• Like 1