Sign in to follow this  

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Look at that sky ... we win the toss *and bat* ...

I hope that my raised eyebrows are proved wrong.

The old Aussie mentality , batting always seen as the positive option . I agree , losing the toss may have been better here , and picking that attack may have been perfect for bowling . Also if it’s on and off bowling is better 

Edited by DavidM

Just now, DavidM said:

The old Aussie mentality , batting always seen as the positive option . I agree , losing the toss may have been better here , and picking that attack may have been perfect for bowling . Also if it’s on and off bowling is better 

It's Southampton so they could be reasoning that the pitch will have nothing in it so if they can get through today then they should still post a big enough score to bat Windies out of the game even in the first innings.

I think I'd have bowled though. Those skies are very dark.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It's Southampton so they could be reasoning that the pitch will have nothing in it so if they can get through today then they should still post a big enough score to bat Windies out of the game even in the first innings.

I think I'd have bowled though. Those skies are very dark.

Yes , Stokes looked down not up . Said the pitch was dry and takes spin later on 

Batsmen  been off so long they’ve forgot what their bats are for 

First wicket gone already!

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

First wicket gone already!

And actually pretty lucky (it looks like) getting an Umpire's Call for a possible lbw the over before.

Rain now, though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Yes it’s test cricket folks ... wait months , rain all day , go off and ... wait for 14 minutes to start officially officially now it’s ready to go

Edited by DavidM

They’re just showing highlights of a Birmingham Bears-Notts Outlaws T20 Blast final.

Missing that competition and those scenes in the crowd of people loving it.

Makes you wonder why people messed about with the Hundred concept when the obvious money spinner was staring them right before their eyes.

15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

They’re just showing highlights of a Birmingham Bears-Notts Outlaws T20 Blast final.

Which was odd given that it was sponsored by Sandals and listed as the Day 1 highlights. I think someone put the wrong tape in.

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which was odd given that it was sponsored by Sandals and listed as the Day 1 highlights. I think someone put the wrong tape in.

Ah, it updated on my planner so I wonder if it was a late schedule change by Sky

42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Amy chance of play today?

The weather forecast looks dry today, then sunny and warm for the remainder of the Test.

• Thanks 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ah, it updated on my planner so I wonder if it was a late schedule change by Sky

I mean, it was good. Fifteen minutes of highlights would have been a struggle from yesterday.

Looking incredibly gloomy there again today but at least no rain so far.

• Like 1

This is one of those perception problems Test cricket has . It’s like 12 degrees , you’ve lost a day and they stop for drinks.  And they’ve flogged themselves for 12 overs in an hour . 

Excellent disciplined bowling by Windies . Looking still a poor call at the toss , with the weather set to improve 

• Like 1

Just switched over from the NRL and seen the score. Ooh 'eck!

35 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

With the benefit of hindsight, we’ve blundered choosing to bat first here as the conditions are clearly favouring the bowling side (who are doing a great job too I should add).

It certainly seemed to me to be a strange decision, considering that the weather forecast for the first two days was cloud and rain etc. It's windy too here today.

7 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

It certainly seemed to me to be a strange decision, considering that the weather forecast for the first two days was cloud and rain etc. It's windy too here today.

I agree, not ideal conditions for batting.

We’ll need a big partnership from the two that are in now.  It could even make or break the game as I can see this West Indies attack nipping through the tail on this pitch.

Took a few days off to watch this match so a bit disappointed, but as ever there’s always something a bit special about being able to relax in front of test match cricket.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Stuart Broad defending the decision to bat first on Twitter, saying that at the toss how can you be expected to know what the conditions will be like on Day 2?

I know what he’s saying and I’m loathe to criticise an England great, but surely the technology is there now to have a good idea what conditions will be like on Day 2.

Anyway what matters now is the Stokes-Buttler tandem and getting a defendable score for the rest of the test match.

17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Stuart Broad defending the decision to bat first on Twitter, saying that at the toss how can you be expected to know what the conditions will be like on Day 2?

I know what he’s saying and I’m loathe to criticise an England great, but surely the technology is there now to have a good idea what conditions will be like on Day 2.

Anyway what matters now is the Stokes-Buttler tandem and getting a defendable score for the rest of the test match.

After Stokesy dropped him he should have said ‘ rubbish decision , doesn’t know owt that bloke . Where’s Joe ? ‘

• Haha 1