Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Look at that sky ... we win the toss *and bat* ...

I hope that my raised eyebrows are proved wrong.

The old Aussie mentality , batting always seen as the positive option . I agree , losing the toss may have been better here , and picking that attack may have been perfect for bowling . Also if it’s on and off bowling is better 

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DavidM said:

The old Aussie mentality , batting always seen as the positive option . I agree , losing the toss may have been better here , and picking that attack may have been perfect for bowling . Also if it’s on and off bowling is better 

It's Southampton so they could be reasoning that the pitch will have nothing in it so if they can get through today then they should still post a big enough score to bat Windies out of the game even in the first innings.

I think I'd have bowled though. Those skies are very dark.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It's Southampton so they could be reasoning that the pitch will have nothing in it so if they can get through today then they should still post a big enough score to bat Windies out of the game even in the first innings.

I think I'd have bowled though. Those skies are very dark.

Yes , Stokes looked down not up . Said the pitch was dry and takes spin later on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Batsmen  been off so long they’ve forgot what their bats are for 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First wicket gone already!


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

First wicket gone already!

And actually pretty lucky (it looks like) getting an Umpire's Call for a possible lbw the over before.

Rain now, though.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it’s test cricket folks ... wait months , rain all day , go off and ... wait for 14 minutes to start officially officially now it’s ready to go

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re just showing highlights of a Birmingham Bears-Notts Outlaws T20 Blast final.

Missing that competition and those scenes in the crowd of people loving it.

Makes you wonder why people messed about with the Hundred concept when the obvious money spinner was staring them right before their eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

They’re just showing highlights of a Birmingham Bears-Notts Outlaws T20 Blast final.

Which was odd given that it was sponsored by Sandals and listed as the Day 1 highlights. I think someone put the wrong tape in.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which was odd given that it was sponsored by Sandals and listed as the Day 1 highlights. I think someone put the wrong tape in.

Ah, it updated on my planner so I wonder if it was a late schedule change by Sky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Amy chance of play today?

The weather forecast looks dry today, then sunny and warm for the remainder of the Test.

  • Thanks 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ah, it updated on my planner so I wonder if it was a late schedule change by Sky

I mean, it was good. Fifteen minutes of highlights would have been a struggle from yesterday.

Looking incredibly gloomy there again today but at least no rain so far.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of those perception problems Test cricket has . It’s like 12 degrees , you’ve lost a day and they stop for drinks.  And they’ve flogged themselves for 12 overs in an hour . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent disciplined bowling by Windies . Looking still a poor call at the toss , with the weather set to improve 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just switched over from the NRL and seen the score. Ooh 'eck!


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

With the benefit of hindsight, we’ve blundered choosing to bat first here as the conditions are clearly favouring the bowling side (who are doing a great job too I should add).

It certainly seemed to me to be a strange decision, considering that the weather forecast for the first two days was cloud and rain etc. It's windy too here today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

It certainly seemed to me to be a strange decision, considering that the weather forecast for the first two days was cloud and rain etc. It's windy too here today.

I agree, not ideal conditions for batting.

We’ll need a big partnership from the two that are in now.  It could even make or break the game as I can see this West Indies attack nipping through the tail on this pitch.

Took a few days off to watch this match so a bit disappointed, but as ever there’s always something a bit special about being able to relax in front of test match cricket.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuart Broad defending the decision to bat first on Twitter, saying that at the toss how can you be expected to know what the conditions will be like on Day 2?

I know what he’s saying and I’m loathe to criticise an England great, but surely the technology is there now to have a good idea what conditions will be like on Day 2.

Anyway what matters now is the Stokes-Buttler tandem and getting a defendable score for the rest of the test match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Stuart Broad defending the decision to bat first on Twitter, saying that at the toss how can you be expected to know what the conditions will be like on Day 2?

I know what he’s saying and I’m loathe to criticise an England great, but surely the technology is there now to have a good idea what conditions will be like on Day 2.

Anyway what matters now is the Stokes-Buttler tandem and getting a defendable score for the rest of the test match.

After Stokesy dropped him he should have said ‘ rubbish decision , doesn’t know owt that bloke . Where’s Joe ? ‘

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...