Sign in to follow this  

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Two cracking games won by Derbyshire and Leicestershire with almost T20 style endings!

Leics hardly win so I must congratulate my chum Mr Nixon ( he’s married to my brothers wife’s sister . Work that out ) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s fair to say round 1 of 5 of the Bob Willis Trophy was a roaring success with some cracking matches and finales:

North Group:

Wins for Yorkshire, Leicestershire and Derbyshire

Central Group: 

Wins for Gloucestershire, Somerset with Warwickshire and Northants drawing

Southern Group:

Wins for Sussex, Essex and Middlesex

Link to the tables and bonus points:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-bob-willis-trophy/table

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s fair to say round 1 of 5 of the Bob Willis Trophy was a roaring success with some cracking matches and finales:

North Group:

Wins for Yorkshire, Leicestershire and Derbyshire

Central Group: 

Wins for Gloucestershire, Somerset with Warwickshire and Northants drawing

Southern Group:

Wins for Sussex, Essex and Middlesex

Link to the tables and bonus points:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-bob-willis-trophy/table

Just the one draw and that from a decent fightback from the brink by Northants. Good round of cricket.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Pakistan announce their squad for the first test with England.

Quite looking forward to seeing this 17 year bowler Naseem Shah.

Been compared by some to Fred Trueman!

I always look forward to a series with Pakistan, because they are so unpredictable. You never really know whether you're getting brilliance, comedic awfulness or something in between. There's usually an aggression to them, and this new kid is pretty much an unknown talent to England players too.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I don't really follow cricket but I know Ireland are relatively new to the international scene so I'm guessing their result over England is a pretty historical win so congratulations to them! 

It's their first win over England in England but not their first ever. That would be the remarkable 2011 World Cup game where, basically, Kevin O'Brien had his Weetabix and turned the match on its head. I'd argue this is more significant, not least because there were a mix of good performances, England are a stronger side, and there is an international structure (and a domestic one to an extent) for them to fall back on.

My fun cricket fact now is that whilst England are World Champions in fifty over cricket, in their last games against Ireland and Scotland they lost to both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's their first win over England in England but not their first ever. That would be the remarkable 2011 World Cup game where, basically, Kevin O'Brien had his Weetabix and turned the match on its head. I'd argue this is more significant, not least because there were a mix of good performances, England are a stronger side, and there is an international structure (and a domestic one to an extent) for them to fall back on.

My fun cricket fact now is that whilst England are World Champions in fifty over cricket, in their last games against Ireland and Scotland they lost to both.

Thanks for the info, very informative! 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

England had 3-4 key players missing as they avoided anyone playing in the tests but it was a very good and deserved win. They got shafted by the ICC fir the next World Cup so I hope they kick on and qualify.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

13 minutes ago, tim2 said:

England had 3-4 key players missing as they avoided anyone playing in the tests but it was a very good and deserved win. They got shafted by the ICC fir the next World Cup so I hope they kick on and qualify.

They did but not so much that you would have expected anything other than an England win.

Well played to the Irish boys, you play what you are up against. I was not surprised that Paul Sterling came off as I have seen him do this with Middlesex but Andrew Balbirnie who had a nondescript career for Middlesex. was the revelation.

There are occasions where you have to doff the cap and say it's more a case of the other side playing well than you playing badly and it's a reality check for England about the need to take wickets in the middle overs on flat wickets on which the next World Cup in India is to be played

Intersting Stat from this game, all three centurions were Irish and all have played for Middlesex.

On to today's clash with Pakistan in which all front foot no balls will be called by the TV umpire

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29599498/tv-umpire-call-front-foot-no-balls-england-pakistan-test-series

Pakistan for me are the favourites in this series, Bowlers win matches and Pakistan have bowlers with pace and spinners who give the ball a real tweak. The only question for me is will Pakistan score enough runs on the board to win if it turns ut into a shoot out between the two attacks for unless weather intervenes or the pitches are uber flat then this series will be decided in the first four days of each test.

Will England use a five man attack with Bess as spinner - Bess did not bowl a single over in the third test against West Indies. If Stokes cannot contribute as a fourth seamer then I would expect England to go for a five man attack which would be a mistake as an extra batsman is required against a top notch attack. The issue is whether you drop Archer who did not have a great game in the third Test,  or Dom Bess and go with an all seam attack and rely on Roots off breaks to spell the quicks or take the sensible but unlikely option of recognising that at this stage of his career  James Anderson is not a better option than Archer, Broad and Woakes if you only playing three seamers .

We shall see at 10.30am

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

Even with players missing, England set a very big total for Ireland to chase.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Good start by England’s bowlers so far albeit in favourable conditions.

Pakistan 44-2 in the 20th over.

Archer and Woakes grabbing the wickets of Abid and Azhar.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Not sure what we had for lunch but that was a very poor  hour . All over the place . I’m a Jofra fan but at times he does bemuse me . He’s there to be your point of difference , we have lots of guys who can bowl mid 80s line and length . He needs to rev up and shake them up 

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not sure what we had for lunch but that was a very poor  hour . All over the place . I’m a Jofra fan but at times he does bemuse me . He’s there to be your point of difference , we have lots of guys who can bowl mid 80s line and length . He needs to rev up and shake them up 

He's already had one period out injured because he went out with a niggle and tried to bowl fast, failed, but kept on going.

I think we're seeing another one coming up.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

He's already had one period out injured because he went out with a niggle and tried to bowl fast, failed, but kept on going.

I think we're seeing another one coming up.

They’ve just been talking about it on the coverage . Intimating it’s taking him a long time to warm up , but he’s definitely holding back a gear . Whether it’s that injury as you say , he’s not been full throttle since then for sure 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

They’ve just been talking about it on the coverage . Intimating it’s taking him a long time to warm up , but he’s definitely holding back a gear . Whether it’s that injury as you say , he’s not been full throttle since then for sure 

I'd rotate him out for the next test and possibly both.

• Like 1

The SA Journalist Neil Manthorpe was asked why was Makhaya Ntini still in the South African side when it was obvious to outside observers he was well past his peak. Neil 's reply was that Makhaya has "Icon" status. There are some players in the England Test and One Day sides who have "Icon" status. Being played on the basis of what they have done or have the potential to do but not what they are doing at present. I am all for a fair-go but sport is a meritocracy and if your not performing then its time for another bloke to be given an opportunity to stake a claim.

The most effective bowlers yesterday were Woakes and in particular Archer with his additional pace. Dom Bess who is a player for the future but not the finished article at present, got the ball to turn and bounce on day one. This is not good for England who will be batting second as Pakistan have both pace and in Yasir Shah and Shadab Khan leg spinners who may embarrass an England side a batsman short on this wicket if Pakistan can get to a total of 350 plus. Wth Babar Azam a thorn in England's side this series.

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

4 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Archer with his additional pace.

But he isn’t for some reason 

Taken the rest of the afternoon and Friday off so I can fully enjoy this test after doing a few chores.

Weather forecast could play into England’s hands maybe.

Looking forward to seeing what this young Pakistan bowler can do as well.

England need to change their lunch caterers.

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

England need to change their lunch caterers.

Absolutely . We had them right under the pump . So usually lesson one after a break is keep the hammer down ... so we open with Root and Bess . Well there’s only five overs to the new ball and we’re so light on seamers 🤔. We thought ahead , lost focus on now and gave them the initiative . 35 in 5 overs , thankyou very much . So by the new ball they’re set , confident and take the momentum and run with it ... literally . On their part they’ve played it superbly . We lost our rag - exemplified by Broad shouting at Jofra and Jofra giving him the death stare .  And apparently , we do extensive practice at throwing at the stumps in the field ..

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Absolutely . We had them right under the pump . So usually lesson one after a break is keep the hammer down ... so we open with Root and Bess . Well there’s only five overs to the new ball and we’re so light on seamers 🤔. We thought ahead , lost focus on now and gave them the initiative . 35 in 5 overs , thankyou very much . So by the new ball they’re set , confident and take the momentum and run with it ... literally . On their part they’ve played it superbly . We lost our rag - exemplified by Broad shouting at Jofra and Jofra giving him the death stare .  And apparently , we do extensive practice at throwing at the stumps in the field ..

The sixth wicket brings us back into it but if Pakistan - and it's a big if - get to 350 then I think the best we can hope for is a draw.

• Like 1