Sign in to follow this  

54 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The mighty Durham humbled 

The BBC webpage for the Durham -v- Lancashire match at Chester-le-Street lists Stuart Cummings as one of the three match officials.

I know that the RL Stuart Cummings also played cricket to Minor Counties level and worked a bit for the ECB, so is this him?

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

The BBC webpage for the Durham -v- Lancashire match at Chester-le-Street lists Stuart Cummings as one of the three match officials.

I know that the RL Stuart Cummings also played cricket to Minor Counties level and worked a bit for the ECB, so is this him?

I have no idea . That would be something 

Derbyshire need 12 to win. 

Notts v Yorks could go either way.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I still love the fact that cricket created a three division set-up where you only play teams within that division but then the two best winning teams which, you would think, could come from the two weaker divisions out of three, are the ones who will go through to the final. Said final being played five weeks after they've crammed the season into four weeks.

It's beautiful.

Anyway, Blast fixtures and women's domestic fixtures (eight regional centres I believe) announced on Wednesday.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I still love the fact that cricket created a three division set-up where you only play teams within that division but then the two best winning teams which, you would think, could come from the two weaker divisions out of three, are the ones who will go through to the final. Said final being played five weeks after they've crammed the season into four weeks.

It's beautiful.

Anyway, Blast fixtures and women's domestic fixtures (eight regional centres I believe) announced on Wednesday.

Definitely needs semi finals (3 group winners and best runner up) and a final if the Bob Willis Trophy is to be replayed next summer due to COVID-19 restrictions.

I actually prefer the format to the standard County Championship and the matches/results have that feeling of being crucial with all the counties involved.  It’s upped my usual interest levels.

I’m pretty sure the broadcasters must prefer it too and on the Lancs livestream there was talk that Sky might be interested in broadcasting more county red ball which can only be positive.

Just a shame so much resource and focus is going on the bonkers Hundred initiative!

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Definitely needs semi finals (3 group winners and best runner up) and a final if the Bob Willis Trophy is to be replayed next summer due to COVID-19 restrictions.

I actually prefer the format to the standard County Championship and the matches/results have that feeling of being crucial with all the counties involved.  It’s upped my usual interest levels.

I’m pretty sure the broadcasters must prefer it too and on the Lancs livestream there was talk that Sky might be interested in broadcasting more county red ball which can only be positive.

Just a shame so much resource and focus is going on the bonkers Hundred initiative!

I really like the format and would like to see it expanded for future years. It seems more natural than the two division set up.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I really like the format and would like to see it expanded for future years. It seems more natural than the two division set up.

Yes, I like the regional groups as it guarantees things like Lancashire-Yorkshire (insert your favourite cricketing derby in here) on a yearly basis.

For some variety you could also introduce some games against the teams in the other groups as per other sports leagues of a similar ilk and to bring competitive balance.

I realise that I’m swimming against the tide for some, who just want to chop a number of counties altogether, but I would raise the standard by making a competition more competitive for longer with a Bob Willis Trophy style format.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Met up with Stuart and his wife at a Kent match at T/Wells 3 years ago in the members tent YES thats him:)

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Notts need just 143 with 8 wickets in hand to dispatch Yorkshire on the last day of Round 2 of 5 in the Bob Willis Trophy North Group at Trent Bridge.

Could be a vital result in the long run and might bring Lancashire back into play after their innings and 18 run victory over Durham yesterday.

Currently topping the group are Derbyshire who’ve won both their opening matches against Leics and Notts.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Notts all out for 97, Tykes win by 90 runs.

Looks like we’ve found a good ‘in in young Jordan Thompson. Can bat as well as bowl.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Moose said:

Looks like we’ve found a good ‘in in young Jordan Thompson. Can bat as well as bowl.

Yep, I agree and Yorkshire look strong in this competition too.

Next up in Round 3 of 5 of the Bob Willis Trophy they’re playing Derbyshire in what looks like a crucial match and possible decider at the top of the North Group.

Lancashire meanwhile have both Derbyshire and Yorkshire to play, but first they’re down at Trent Bridge, where they’ll have to beat Notts to have any chance of figuring in the group.

The table can be found here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-bob-willis-trophy/table

Vitality Blast T/Twenty fixtures out (Just received from Kent CCC)

August 27th start 

Qtr Finals October 1st

Finals October 3rd 

Thats the good news from Kent 

The bad news is NO NEWS on spectators being allowed in to watch:(((

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

batting is fragile....at best

Yes it’s worrying Robin. On paper we have the personnel but as yet they haven’t come good, still we’re only 2 matches into the season with 2 wins.

I understand Willey is available for the Derbyshire match, he should strengthen the batting, I just hope Ballance is fit to play, in reality he’s our most consistent batsman.

• Like 1

Sky seem to be showing the barest minimum of Blast fixtures as possible.

The rest will be available, in the same way as the Bob Willis Trophy, via streaming.

• Thanks 1

Cricket in October? World's gone mad.

• Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sky seem to be showing the barest minimum of Blast fixtures as possible.

The rest will be available, in the same way as the Bob Willis Trophy, via streaming.

I was just thinking that looking at the schedule . You’d have thought fewer games more condensed would have given the scope for showing more , more double headers etc with no crowds there 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 16:59, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Yes - he's an ECB match referee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/08/2020 at 16:59, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

He has been a match referee at County Cricket for a few years now

• Thanks 1

On 11/08/2020 at 15:34, Moose said:

Only playing because Willey was with England and Waite got injured. Sometimes a career just needs a bit of luck to get it started

11 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

batting is fragile....at best

But if it clicks it is more than capable of making a very large total against any opposition 

Another Test Match with England putting the future on hold it appears, looking at the weather forecast its looking like a draw but if we get enough play my money would be on Pakistan. The only question as always is can the Pakistan batting score enugh runs to give the bowling unit a chance to finish England off. They did not in the second innings at Manchester and that was the key to England's win. 300 to win would have been a different game anything under 300 gave England a sniff.

Good toss to lose today with sultry humid, pre-thunderstorm weather, Conventional wisdom has a side batting first however while when batting first you cannot win a Test Match in the opening session through the number of runs scored, you can bat badly enough to lose the game in that same session through loss of wickets..

NB - with the Womens Series and Australia series still not confirmed SKY are covering fewer T20 matches as those slots are beig held - No excuse though for Kent along with a number of other counties playing matches at 2.00pm on a weekday. Even those of us fortunate enough to have a job which enables them to work at home, still actually have to work you know.

• Like 1

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019