22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sorry not wanting to be a whinging pom but no way on earth is this a decent test pitch . This is day two and it’s falling apart , and it’s been doing all sorts from before lunch on day one . Roots good but 5-8 on day 2 session one . It’s a poor balance between bat and ball and not great test cricket tbh . Someone mentioned on social media that Taunton gets deducted points for this 

Even nowadays, when Tests can fall well short of five days, buying a ticket for day three should only be a gamble if the weather's looking iffy. The stadium, the broadcasters, the spectators, the TV viewers - all are being short-changed.

81 all out.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cricket, you beautiful bustard 

A 16 game Championship, some form of 50 over competition and a cash-cow T20 (which, despite the ECB's bluster we do have). It shouldn't be that hard to oversee a domestic season with all that. Th

Posted Images

• Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

That was, it is fair to say, ######.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Even nowadays, when Tests can fall well short of five days, buying a ticket for day three should only be a gamble if the weather's looking iffy. The stadium, the broadcasters, the spectators, the TV viewers - all are being short-changed.

81 all out.

Its that bad strauss and cook are saying we have a bit of a chance . I mean really ! 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I did like it when the thirders said there was a flat line past Foakes bat . Well yeh apart from that clear spike . I think this is one of the  weirdest tests ive seen 

The weird one was Root's referral (not out in the end) where they never did line up the image which seemed to show a bat deflection, *or* the one that didn't, with any useful ultra edge.

And then he overturned it because ... well, why not. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't think we can blame the "Thirders", for what was the worst batting performance from both teams, on a dreadful pitch, and apparently the shortest completed Test match since 1935.

Where were you last Thursday?

Terrible advert for Test Cricket for a game to finish within six sessions, a short term phyrric victory for India. TV companies will not be happy at having to fill three days of programming content. The whole reason why many with over 40 years in the sport like myself favour four day tests is because it makes it more attractive to TV companies and avoids the blank fifth day which happens now more often than not but you do not plan on two day tests....

On this type of day when you get back to the dressing room, the cry goes up "there bowling snakes". India certainly cannot complain if they come to the UK and are confronted with pitches the colour of my back garden. For Kohli the objective has almost been attained a series win and the World Test Championship Final  so I expect India to prepare another raging turner for the Fourth Test.

In county cricket, no one denies there are certain counties that prepare pitches to suit their bowling attacks That's why the opposition captain has the choice of having a toss or not and  the ECB would dock points for a pitch like Ahmedabad's, The ICC mindful that India has 45% of all Cricket Revenue worldwide and has 28.3% of all ICC revenue has no such remedy at hand. Though docked Australia four points for a slow over rate in the Boxing day test

Jack Leach enhanced his reputation on a helpful wicket, but I really cannot condem the rest of the England side bearing in mind the pitch conditions. One concern has got to be the mental branding that comes from playing on pitches like that for some of the yonger players,  Olly Pope in particular could do with a break from this series,  but then you have the problem with back to back tests in that no-one else has been playing cricket so like Johnny Bairstow come in "cold" to the Test cauldron.

If posters are not of the view that this is a bad pirch by design, watch the pitches that will be prepared for the T20 series in Ahmedabad and the ODI series in Pune where I expect a run fest and a more even contest.  It's ironic that the short form game is now the one with greater integrity.

Not so much a sad day for English Cricket but a sad day for the future of the longest form of the game.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Would have been interesting if (given normal times ) they’d sold 220,000 tickets for days 3 and 4 !!

If this is anything like the second test, they'd have been allowed 50% capacity. And that's still a lot in that new stadium, when you consider that it is unlikely that there'd be a shortage of ticket purchases in India.

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’m enjoying the PSL on Sky . Good cricket and coverage , and excellent squeezing of every single sponsorship opportunity !

The cutaways to drinking a cup of tea are my absolute favourite.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Starting tomorrow morning, Afghanistan v Zimbabwe is on the Freesports & Premier Sports channels: https://www.freesports.tv/our-sports/cricket.html

27 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Any international big names playing in it?

4 overseas a team , some big names & usual T20 circuit travellers ... Hales , Vince , Christian , Brathwaite , Nabi , Du Plessis etc . No big Aussies or superstars that will show in the IPL , but the most interesting thing is watching the Pakistani talent - which is numerous  . All their top players are there . As ever their batting and bowling is great and their fielding and catching , err , isnt 

Edited by DavidM
  • Thanks 1

A lot of what I like about these T20 tournaments is not the big names, but spotting up-and-coming talent from the host nation. Some young lads who are fired up to have a go at the international stars with bat or ball, and maybe make their fortune if the selectors like what they see.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A lot of what I like about these T20 tournaments is not the big names, but spotting up-and-coming talent from the host nation. Some young lads who are fired up to have a go at the international stars with bat or ball, and maybe make their fortune if the selectors like what they see.

Exactly . The number of Pakistani quicks is always good to watch 

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Always good though to have a few big names in the action to help gauge the standard of the up and comers.

Yikes!

• Like 1

Not sure what is going on in Abu Dhabi, it is as if Zimbabwe & Afghanistan have said they want the record for the shortest ever test match.

Afghan 1st innings 131 2nd innings currently 41-5

Zimbabwe 1st Innings 250

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Not sure what is going on in Abu Dhabi, it is as if Zimbabwe & Afghanistan have said they want the record for the shortest ever test match.

Afghan 1st innings 131 2nd innings currently 41-5

Zimbabwe 1st Innings 250

Ibrahim's trying to take it to a third day for the Afghans, but if he goes...

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ibrahim's trying to take it to a third day for the Afghans, but if he goes...

All Out. Zim win by 10 wickets inside two days, there is a theme starting here, England play India, let's hope it goes longer than that. 4 days. but I doubt that