Some good work by Lawrence, Stone and Wood* sees England just top 300 for their innings.

NZ are 19 for 1. Unfortunately, that wicket was not Conway's.

*a most respectable firm of solicitors, I'm told.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cricket, you beautiful bustard 

A 16 game Championship, some form of 50 over competition and a cash-cow T20 (which, despite the ECB's bluster we do have). It shouldn't be that hard to oversee a domestic season with all that. Th

Posted Images

NZ 229 for 3 at stumps on Day 2.

The worst thing about the day was Tufnell's Elvis impersonation.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

9 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

It would have been nice if someone at the counties - I dread to think what some Yorkshire players accounts would unearth given what they're happy to say and do publicly - had been doing their job in the last ten years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyway, Yorkshire lost to the clown club yesterday by coughing up 25 too many runs in the dying overs. Losing by 20 in the end having never really been in the chase.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Back onto the Test match and Dan Lawrence pickiing up a wicket in the last over of the day does give England a lifeline with the new ball due. Really have to punch through though as I acnnot see England coming back if New Zealand get a lead of 150 with a flaky batting line up.

Olly Pope is in danger of being the new Ian Bell. Scoring a stylish 30 runs before getting himself out. Olly also seems to have developed St vitus dance while at the wicket.

The bigest contrast between New Zealand and England lies in batting technique. If you look at the Kiwis the batting is simple and orthodox. By contrast, England have opeining bastmen with funky techniques and a few others down the order as well for it seems harsh to be posting this about a man who scored 81 not out but Dan Lawrence's innings was not a technical masterpiece by any means.

Mark Wood bowled at a lesser pace yesterday, as I have posted previously he is the Ryan Harris of England Cricket, and can play 3 out of 5 Tests in a series if handled properly but not back to back tests, though on yesterdays evidence Mark is in the side for his batting.

The dark rumour is that England's selection is now being influenced the prospect of further unpleasant tweets being released once the match has started. The issue about the first Test is that someone knew about Robbo the Yobbo and deliberately chose to reveal his past tweets, the ones on Gary Speed and Madeleine Mc Cann getting less coverage but well out of order, during the game to cause maximum impact.

One other point about Robinson, The Impression has been given that he is a Yorkshire working class lad. he is not, he was born in Margate and went to Kings School in Canterbury an independent fee charging public school

It is known that Matt Parkinson has tweets about Virat Kohli and allegedly the Indian national anthem which while not in the Robinson class may be influencing selection and, it is said it's a good job Dom Bess has deleted his twitter account along with Rory Burns.

Granted there is still regrettably a lot of yobbo behaviour around, but generally speaking most Cricketers, have received a higher level of education than the rest of us, therefore it is mind-boggling that so many are "low wattage" individuals who see fit to publicise their prejudice and stupidity in a public forum and think there will be no long term consequences.

Finally, will someone tell TMS and Daniel Norcross in particular, that there is a cricket match going on out there and some commentary on the game in front of them would not go amiss.. that is all.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

I think the soft signal is a bit like referees having to make an ‘ onfield ‘ decision when they don’t know . It’s a guess and yet the video official has to be burdened by it . It’s so quick they can’t possibly know . Just hand  it over to the third umpire and don’t burden him with having to be bound by that . Crawley to me clearly had fingers under the ball there . Also , since restart last year Kettleborough and Illingworth have had a very poor time of it 

New Zealand have just passed England's 1st innings total. 

NZ all out for 388.

First over, and Burns has gone for a duck. EHgCcVy.gif

Sibley gone now, and we are on 17 for 2.

Really like this New Zealand side. Some excellent disciplined bowlers, solid hard working batting backed up by excellent catching/fielding. 

Red Rooster’s comments about the style of New Zealand’s batting versus ours is a really key observation. I’ve played a lot of cricket. To a fairly high standard having benefitted from a lot of good coaching when I was a kid. I was also taught to remain fairly still, especially my head whilst waiting the ball. The likes of Sibley and Burns’ technique is simply awful. And it’s being found out by top class bowlers. I  know Burns has scored a few runs in this serious but his average of less than 33 is not good enough for a test opening batsman. Sibley… simply awful. 

We really are average and have regressed under Silverwood . This grind it out mentality isn’t exactly great to watch either . We play India and Australia next . 

The point about technique of guys like Sibley and Burns , Lawrence to a degree , also tells you how average a lot of county cricket is . Guys like Westley and Jennings and Ballance were coming in and looking all over the place 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

73 for 6 - will we actually force the Kiwis to come out and bat again for a couple of minutes?

Root's gone now.

Any kind of slow bowler has us completely bemused . Seen it for some time now . This bloke has barely got one off straight  in the whole game . And when seam bowlers have us bemused as well we’re in a massive hole . Very very fragile . Kiwis have rested most of their team , and we look shot to bits . Even root looks petrified to play a shot , his head must be spinning knowing it’s all on him 

122 for 9 at stumps. Pitiful.

New Zealand are a strong, professional side with some high quality bowlers (one of whom wasn't playing) and technical sound batsmen, one of whom is in the top 3 in the world. Oh, he's not playing either. They've been good but England have just been terrible.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I will just leave this comment here by Alan Butcher ex-Surrey and England left hand opening batsman and former county and International coach which pretty much sums up England's situation

#ENGvNZL Believe me it gives me no pleasure watching @ECB_cricket struggle but for too long technique has been sacrificed on the altar of free expression & mental strength . The non-technical chickens are coming home to roost!

https://twitter.com/abutch58/status/1403748499393499138

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

This is Shakib al Hasan arguably the best player Bangladesh has produced. most certainly not cricket...

George Orwell

19 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

This is Shakib al Hasan arguably the best player Bangladesh has produced. most certainly not cricket...

You’d think he’d keep his head down after his ban for corruption . Amazingly the narrative being pushed after these incidents is corrupt umpiring 

England's innings ended in one ball this morning, but they at least managed to take a couple of wickets before the inevitable New Zealand victory.