Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Cue Root ‘ yeh well disappointing , we must do better , young line up , take the positives , disappointed , I back the lads , we can beat India and Australia . We must improve , we’ve a great side ... ‘

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cricket, you beautiful bustard 

A 16 game Championship, some form of 50 over competition and a cash-cow T20 (which, despite the ECB's bluster we do have). It shouldn't be that hard to oversee a domestic season with all that. Th

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Cue Root ‘ yeh well disappointing , we must do better , young line up , take the positives , disappointed , I back the lads , we can beat India and Australia . We must improve , we’ve a great side ... ‘

We seem to be hurtling back to the 1990s of having good, and occasionally potentially great, players but a weird dressing room and management culture that doesn't seem to want to get the best out of them.

And I do wish everyone involved would stop regarding the Ashes as the be all and end all.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always fun watching pundits performing verbal gymnastics when trying to avoid discussing the real reason there is a lack of red ball cricket save an odd fortnight before the India Series... whisper it but it is called the 💯

Yes the tournament that has all of these BBC / SKY pundit receiving their 30 pieces of silver for commentating on. As Vic Marks pointed out in an article in The Cricketer. There is a great deal of difference between what they say publicly and privately with some honorable exceptions notably Jonathan Agnew and Mark Butcher and if the SKY commentators hang on every word that Michael Holding utters why then is Mikey's views on 💯 that are even more disparaging than mine not given prominence.

Cricket, like Rugby Union, only succeeeds in pushing soccer off the back pages when the national side is successful. When it is not then the game sinks into the back pages. You now have an ECB adminstration dead set on marketing its copyrighted fourth format that very few want memorably described by George Dobell as "the ###### in the swimming pool" of England's cricketing summer.

Truly the emphasis seems to be on promoting the 💯 and winning the World T20 - which is nice to win but meaningless in that the real world cup is the 50 over tournament at the expense of having any realistic chance of being competitive in the Ashes series which with five back to back tests down under is a tough task indeed.

As things stand, England will do well not to lose 4-0 at home to India and 4-0 away down under 😠

 

Quote

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

As things stand, England will do well not to lose 4-0 at home to India and 4-0 away down under 😠

 

Aren't there 5 tests in Australia? Are you predicting rain in Sydney over New Year?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tim2 said:

Aren't there 5 tests in Australia? Are you predicting rain in Sydney over New Year?

I am asuming both in England this summer and in Australia the weather and a flat pitch will intervene. It would have been 5-0 last time had they not served up one of the flattest wickets of all time in Melbourne and the fifth India test is in Manchester this year so ever chance of interruptions.

Quote

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yorkshire's batting goes past 200 on consecutive days in the T20. Almost lost it yesterday thanks to an amazing chase by Leicester powered (but not exclusively delivered) by Josh Inglis. Today it was a bit more standard with Worcester falling 94 runs short.

Enjoyed listening to the women's Test and catching the end of the day's play on Sky. India well short of the required over rate but, for all that, an even day's play with the bowlers getting some late wickets to balance out previous England dominance. Gutted for Heather Knight to be out on 95 and this missing out on a century in her 100th England game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Enjoyed listening to the women's Test and catching the end of the day's play on Sky. India well short of the required over rate but, for all that, an even day's play with the bowlers getting some late wickets to balance out previous England dominance. Gutted for Heather Knight to be out on 95 and this missing out on a century in her 100th England game.

England declared on 396 for 9. 

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Wow that turned on it’s head very quickly . The beauty of test cricket , that can happen 

A couple of really enjoyable days. In both it was towards the end when inexplicable things occurred and I wonder if that’s because, right now, there are effectively zero opportunities for women to get game time in multi day matches and so know how to mentally approach the final session.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Not sure we've done that in the County Championship all season long...... 

We got 558 against Sussex in the last game before the break - which was roughly the same total as our previous three completed innings.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

No play in the morning at Southampton

Play starting on time but without much optimism of a full day's play in Bristol

For hipsters there's also Windies v South Africa on BT this afternoon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

No play in the morning at Southampton

Play starting on time but without much optimism of a full day's play in Bristol

For hipsters there's also Windies v South Africa on BT this afternoon

And at one point yesterday it was raining at all three of them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

And at one point yesterday it was raining at all three of them.

Good job the India v NZ game has a spare day. A proper World Test Championship is actually a good idea, and despite the ridiculous qualifying system has probably generated the best two teams for the final.

I would prefer to put aside a month every 2 years and hold it in a single country as a 9 team tournament of 4 day games.

The current rankling system would determine the top 9, unless you threw in a one-off pre-Qualifying match to give Zimbabwe, Ireland and Afghanistan a chance against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and South Africa.

Groups of 3, 3 matches to qualify (winners + best 2nd place) including a cross-group game, semis and final. 4 day games, 100 overs a day with run penalties or disqualification for slow over rates. 10 points for a win, 5 for first innings lead in the event of a draw, 3 for a draw. 3 days rest between games. Tie breaker would be run rate in first innings.

Days 1-4: Group game 1 (simultaneous)
Days 5-7: rest
Days 8-11: Group game 2 (simultaneous)
Days 12-14: rest
Days 15-18: Group game 3 (simultaneous)
Days 19-21: rest
Days 22-25: Semi final (first innings lead wins in case of draw)
Days 26-29: 4 day rest
Days 30-34: Final, including spare day to finish game.

The downside of this briliant plan is that home teams have a massive advantage in Test cricket that they don't in the white ball game. It's also not the ICC/India's idea, unless I suggest it be held in India every time. That would work.

Currently it would be something like:

Group A: NZ, Pakistan, Bangladesh
Group B: India, West Indies, South Africa
Group C - Australia, England, Sri Lanka

 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tim2 said:

Good job the India v NZ game has a spare day. A proper World Test Championship is actually a good idea, and despite the ridiculous qualifying system has probably generated the best two teams for the final.

I would prefer to put aside a month every 2 years and hold it in a single country as a 9 team tournament of 4 day games.

The current rankling system would determine the top 9, unless you threw in a one-off pre-Qualifying match to give Zimbabwe, Ireland and Afghanistan a chance against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and South Africa.

Groups of 3, 3 matches to qualify (winners + best 2nd place) including a cross-group game, semis and final. 4 day games, 100 overs a day with run penalties or disqualification for slow over rates. 10 points for a win, 5 for first innings lead in the event of a draw, 3 for a draw. 3 days rest between games. Tie breaker would be run rate in first innings.

Days 1-4: Group game 1 (simultaneous)
Days 5-7: rest
Days 8-11: Group game 2 (simultaneous)
Days 12-14: rest
Days 15-18: Group game 3 (simultaneous)
Days 19-21: rest
Days 22-25: Semi final (first innings lead wins in case of draw)
Days 26-29: 4 day rest
Days 30-34: Final, including spare day to finish game.

The downside of this briliant plan is that home teams have a massive advantage in Test cricket that they don't in the white ball game. It's also not the ICC/India's idea, unless I suggest it be held in India every time. That would work.

Currently it would be something like:

Group A: NZ, Pakistan, Bangladesh
Group B: India, West Indies, South Africa
Group C - Australia, England, Sri Lanka

 

I believe the ICC used to run something not dissimilar to this for associate members - but then got bored and now they don't.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I believe the ICC used to run something not dissimilar to this for associate members - but then got bored and now they don't.

I'm just a dinosaur screaming into the void as the white-ball shaped meteor smashes into the planet that is Test Cricket. The full houses in England and Boxing Day at Melbourne are glorified days out. No-one else cares. 

I've already copyrighted "Fantastic Fives" - a five over format where the bowler has to be 12 years old, the boundaries are max 40m and you get extra points, I mean er... runs, for hitting targets in the stands.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a non cricket following visitor in when they went off in Southampton … and i had to attempt to explain going off for badlight while floodlights are on and its not raining . I struggled to make his perplexed look disappear

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DavidM said:

I had a non cricket following visitor in when they went off in Southampton … and i had to attempt to explain going off for badlight while floodlights are on and its not raining . I struggled to make his perplexed look disappear

It is inexplicable because it's a nonsense. The rules about light, rain and time all need serious attention.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The four day Test in the women's game served up a classic draw. Some excellent performances across both teams and a match whose eventual outcome was in doubt until the final session. Hopefully will be the start of more regular Tests being included in women's bilateral series.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we're going to get some action in the India/NZ test today.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Looks like we're going to get some action in the India/NZ test today.

Even with the disruption it’s seemed both sides have just had a mindset of don’t lose 

Link to post
Share on other sites

T20 excitement tonight as England continue to plan for the T20 World Cup against Sri Lanka with several players under pressure both Curran Brothers with Tom having a bad winter and younger sibling Sam under threat from George Garton Taller,, faste , in the ODI squad, and can bat as well. Moeen Ali needing to prove its not time to move on and Chris Woakes and David Willey needing to justify their selection. and when will Sam Billings be anything other than a Utilty squad player.

On Sky tonight and then on BBC tomorrow hosted by High Wycome's most famous person Mrs Isa Thomas.

In the meanwhile KP as ever on the money about England in Australia

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ashes-2021-22-kevin-pietersen-says-four-month-ashes-tour-without-families-is-utter-madness-1267596

Squad Rotation in the Ashes - Standby for spontaneous human combustion in the shires...

Quote

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2021 at 13:31, DavidM said:

Even with the disruption it’s seemed both sides have just had a mindset of don’t lose 

India are 8 down in their second innings, and leading by 124 runs. A NZ win is possible if their big hitters cut loose, and with the late finish allowed under the rules.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to admit working from home has re-ignited my interest in cricket having drifted away from it for many years.

Remember as a 13 year old staying  in a church just outside Scarborough. I wish i could remember the name,

Anyhow in the local cricket team's old record books there will be a page of when the local team let me record every ball in their match against Civil Service.

On a lighter note as some one once said" Poor lad"

Cricketer hits huge six through his own car window - BBC News

Edited by Irish Saint
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...