Durham 400plus in the 50 over Cup , West Cumbria’s own Graham Clark 141. For some reason the sides playing don’t seem to be at full strength …🤔

Edited by DavidM

16 minutes ago, bobrock said:

One question about The Hundred. Where have all the batsmen gone ? So full of batters. Might as well play baseball.

If you think that looks like baseball then I'll have what you're having.

As the men's and women's tournaments are (in some ways) given equal weighting they are using the gender neutral terminology that the ICC have used for years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Durham 400plus in the 50 over Cup , West Cumbria’s own Graham Clark 141. For some reason the sides playing don’t seem to be at full strength …🤔

Yorkshire v Surrey had eight players across both teams making their List A debuts.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Nah , i gave it 15 minutes . Sorry i just couldnt get into it . 

I've watched both games on the BBC.

The BBC presentation has been mostly awful because they seem, inexplicably, to have decided that what will really help people is Michael Vaughan and Phil Tufnell talking like dads at the disco throughout. Vaughan averaged 18 in T20 cricket, Tufnell never played it. Both are not capable of talking about the tactics of very short form cricket (it's like listening to Sky's RL coverage, you'd think there were no tactics) and, in particular in the women's game, are really not up to date on who is who (something which gets a bit more easily covered up on TMS). They've had good co-voices: Tymal Mills was excellent, Isa Guha can't help but be professional, and Heather Knight was good on the first night.

I'm told Sky have been a lot better as they have spent most of the evening talking about the cricket.

All I could see in the crowd - last night, the first night was different - was a smaller than usual normal Surrey T20 crowd. Same beery blokes, guys in nice shirts, lots of Surrey replica tops. No issue with that but the whole point of this is that it's for *new* fans. The Blast sells out the Oval every game already to these ones. (The women's game was a bit different but it did seem that even if they were new to the Oval (not sure) that close on 100% were already familiar with the idea of spending money to play and watch cricket).

The cricket was fine. It will be because it's cricket and these are good players. It was nice to see a few instances on both evenings when they clearly really cared. Reece Topley clearly went for it in a big way for example.

But I was very passive. I only watched it because I'm on holiday and this place doesn't have Sky so I couldn't put the rugby on. It was like catching a CPL game or something. Fun if it catches you but take it or leave it otherwise.

Positive observation: I do like the rule that it doesn't matter if the batters cross on a catch - it's the new batter who faces.

I went to the T Twenty at Old Trafford on Wednesday (i think i can’t remember). It was a great night and the Pakistan fans are a credit to the sport. The match was held up three times for incidents involving England fan’s getting on the pitch(i just don’t see the point). Do people who get onto the pitch face any actions ?, are they ejected from the ground. Do they get a ban, do fans face fines for encroaching on to the pitch, or do they get a warning first ?. 

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

If you think that looks like baseball then I'll have what you're having.

As the men's and women's tournaments are (in some ways) given equal weighting they are using the gender neutral terminology that the ICC have used for years.

Ok course it doesn't look like baseball. I won't have what you're having if you think I meant that. I just wonder why they don't say "batsman" when men are playing, and "batter" when woman are.

4 minutes ago, bobrock said:

Ok course it doesn't look like baseball. I won't have what you're having if you think I meant that. I just wonder why they don't say "batsman" when men are playing, and "batter" when woman are.

It does now match with 'bowler' which doesn't become 'bowlsman' when it's blokes playing.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It does now match with 'bowler' which doesn't become 'bowlsman' when it's blokes playing.

Fair enough. I just wonder if in a matter time every male fan/journalist/TV commentator, tempted to use the term "batsman", will have to apologize and assure the whole planet that he is not a bloody sexist.

7 minutes ago, bobrock said:

Fair enough. I just wonder if in a matter time every male fan/journalist/TV commentator, tempted to use the term "batsman", will have to apologize and assure the whole planet that he is not a bloody sexist.

Nah. It’s been around for a few years and nobody makes a particularly big deal of it at all.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

When cricket was first invented , how long did the games last ?

Anybody know ?

On the first day, God said "let there be Cricket". And there was Cricket.

On the second day, some people said "Cricket's not as good as it used to be". And there was a great nodding and chin-stroking across the land.

• Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

On the first day, God said "let there be Cricket". And there was Cricket.

On the second day, some people said "Cricket's not as good as it used to be". And there was a great nodding and chin-stroking across the land.

On the third day Darren Stevens made his debut 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moose said:

What do the commentators call a lady cricketer fielding at third man?

Third 

49 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Third 

Thanks, I haven’t watched a lot of women’s cricket, but in the little I have seen I’ve never heard the term third used in place of third man.

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Good question. I wonder too what the women say in football when there's a 'man on'. I'll be watching Team GB tomorrow against Japan, so maybe I'll be able to hear the answer in the empty stadium.

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The Aussies call them fieldsman instead of fielder, so they'll need to change that too for the women's game.

Batter, bowler, fielder is fine for me, although out of habit I'll probably still call them batsman in mens cricket.

I think it's a bit like making the change in other areas of life - like many I grew up with milkman, fireman, postman, etc. Nowadays it's firefighter, and I tend to say Postie as it's often a woman doing the delivering. I don't see many milkman anymore, so I've never really thought about how to change that one.

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Good question. I wonder too what the women say in football when there's a 'man on'. I'll be watching Team GB tomorrow against Japan, so maybe I'll be able to hear the answer in the empty stadium.

I heard someone ask a female footballer that very question, and her answer was that "man on" was shorter and more convenient in a situation where there was little time to react, so that's the phrase she normally used.

• Thanks 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

8 hours ago, Moose said:

Thanks, I haven’t watched a lot of women’s cricket, but in the little I have seen I’ve never heard the term third used in place of third man.

You do hear both and no one is going to make an issue of any of it but Third is used - the radio commentators seem to use it more than the TV ones.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I heard someone ask a female footballer that very question, and her answer was that "man on" was shorter and more convenient in a situation where there was little time to react, so that's the phrase she normally used.

The only difference I'm aware of in football is that it's Player of the Match. Man On is used all the time.

21 hours ago, Moose said:

In the wild just now, the Kiwi commentating on the women's Hundred referred to the ball being stopped "at short third".

I suspect in the men's game later he would call it short third man.